VST filter question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dream catcher

Reaction score
I have a 2002, 225hp yamaha and have changed the VST filter several times, someone recenlty told me that in addition to the main VST filter, there is also another screen in the fuel pressure regulator which is inside the VST tank, does anyone have any pictures of this or can give me a little more detail on where it is and how to clean it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have a repair manual, but not the Yamaha one, do i need to take anything apart or is the screen right there when i pull the tank off?

Leave the tank itself together, just unbolt it from the block. I usually disconnect the main fuel hose going into the top of the tank and one other hose, can't recall as I'm not at the boat. Once you have the tank off, just take whatever hoses you need off to allow you to spin the tank 180 degrees. You will see the fuel pressure regulator attached to the back of the vst tank. It is held on with two bolts, it has a round top and a small hose going into the top of it.

You can stop the whole VST nonsense by installing a Racor 2 micron filter on your water seperator.
The part number is S3220SUL

Capt Brian

Yes, the old S3220UL filter is a 10-mircon, but this new SUL version appears to be 2-micron.

Most interesting ... as not too long ago, adding any filter element tighter than 10-microns would be a fuel rerstriction and lead to fuel starvation ... and set off vacuum alarms for fuel delivery, if equipped.

There's a whole thread on this filter on THT.

Guys were running vacume gauges and alarms to make sure the engine wasn't starving for fuel.

Seems like there's no problems at all.

Andy at Simms has all the test info.

It makes alot of sense to put this filte on and stop the whole VST filter and clogged injector problems.

I had some friends of mine switch to the 2 micron filters when this ethonol stuff first started. they took them off, they were getting clogged up too fast. maybe in a new boat it would be OK, but in an older boat with the introduction of ethenol the filters were getting clogged up enough to shut the engine down within a month of two. I know most of us keep spares onboard but with a 2 micron it would be a mistake to leave the dock without one

FYI, been running 2 micron Racors on my 1999 200HP Yamaha 0x66 since they became available with no problems. Running total of about 500 hours, with filters replaced each spring and halfway through the season. VST filters are noticeably cleaner and no longer need to be cleaned during the season, just once in the spring to check on them.

-- Tom

TomS":2zy295qg said:
FYI, been running 2 micron Racors on my 1999 200HP Yamaha 0x66 since they became available with no problems. Running total of about 500 hours, with filters replaced each spring and halfway through the season. VST filters are noticeably cleaner and no longer need to be cleaned during the season, just once in the spring to check on them.

-- Tom
That is good to know. Like I said when ethonol was first introduced the shop at our Marina was pushing the 2 Micron filters to help catch all the debri that the ethonol would be cleaning out of the tanks, and people were breaking down due to clogged filters that summer, who knows maybe the marina had some junk gas. Anyway nice to know you have had no problems, I have always been leary of using them since, but may give them a try. Thanks Mike

I ran a 10 micron filter when ethanol landed and had vst problems every 30/50 hrs, switched to the 2 micron and so far so good! BUT I change it every 15 to 20 hrs just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back