want to recommend a gps?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phumb

Reaction score
Will be adding a gps soon.. Dont have any right now... Looking for something simple and easy to use... a screen that can be seen during the day, even with polarized glasses if possible... And because I'm still in denial and dont usually wear the necessary reading glasses, something with larger fonts would help. Really just looking to make a few bread crumb trails and a MOB button... You guys love any particular unit? thanks for any replies!

just about everyone has a favorite. I've always liked Garmin for ease of use. very intuitive operation, dependable, and the pricier models can have radar added later on.

Do you mean a GPS, Chartplotter and FF or MFD? All companies have good units. A Multi Function Device allows you add other components like radar usually from the same company and not other companies. You need a MFD and transducer. That is all I have for now and will upgrade after I retire and move to FL full time. Next is the budget? $1K, 2K, 3K, 4K. It is all about the Ks. Next is screen size, maps (charts) and transducer like CHIRP, Side scan, etc. There has a lot of advances in marine electronics in the last 3 years. You may need a high end transducer built in the hull vs and transom bolt on. It depends on your needs. You may need a radar for fishing and navigation in high congestion areas. Then add sat weather if venture out

Post your boating and fishing needs and others with more experience than me will chime in.

You should have decent full functional VHF with AIS radio and antenna already. I have a PLB , handheld VHF radio with AIS, strobe lights and decent life jackets

I bought my Garmin years ago (545s) from Jim at Boe Marine . I think he is the best like TabMan at Bennett.

Go to a marine store like West Marine and familiarize yourself on how the units work. You may like buttons vs touch screen. Look at the charts (maps) details, screen size, resolution, etc

Best and Happy Memorial to all who gave their lives to keep us safe and America free and strong including all of the wacky folks running for President

Best

As others have said..... Garmin for ease of use.

How do you explain "User Friendly"?

User Friendly means you can operate it up to about 90% and never read the book....... that's Garmin. :)

Wow, I swore I posted this yesterday and now I dont see it.... anyway, seriously considering the garmin 741xs... anyone using? like/dislikes? it comes with built in g2 chart...is worth spending the extra $'s for the HD? Thanks!

On my 2520 being built, I thought I wanted a Lowrance 12" HDS. The dealer recommended the Parker Garmin electronics package which includes a VHF radio and 1040XS unit. I've never owned Garmin on any of my boats, hopefully this will be a pleasant surprise. BTW, there are tons of reviews and demos on Youtube. Good luck.

I would look at a Garmin 32xx series. Can be found for a few hundred bucks and the best UI ever made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanc2":2ne7hibf said:
I would look at a Garmin 32xx series. Can be found for a few hundred bucks and the best UI ever made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying it wasn't good stuff...... But it is outdated and Garmin doesn't support it anymore.

No updates and too old style chip cards that looked like this , but are not available anymore except used.

I had a 2006C

100_5087_zps71a733bf.jpg

a friend has the garmin 740 and i'm not impressed at all. intuitive is most definitely not a word i'd use to describe it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my simrad nss7's. I've yet to read the book and have dual units set up (1 ff, 1 chartplotter).

OK, just ordered the 741 xs... tons of transducers available... Any experiences with them? recommendations? I currently have a transom mount(not garmin) and thinking of doing same but????

Back