Water in battery compartment

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PXL_20230517_010531844.jpg

I noticed water makes its way into to battery compartments. Not much, just a little. But it doesn't really go away. My dad drilled small holes so that drains on to the deck, but in reality I think more water enters with the holes than leaves from the deck now. If I plug the holes, what do others do to keep them dry?

what boat model? I don't see or understand where your Dad drilled holes? water from where? Rain, washdown, Bilge?
It's a 98' 2520. I'm not sure either... I do recall water getting into the compartments, possibly from rough seas during travel. But honestly, I don't really know how the water was getting in. It would definitely be environmental, not leaking in. The holes are very small in the bottom corner agains the transom and deck. The boat is in my care at this point. 1684355217779.png

1684355235574.png

I've got the identical setup, 2520 MV, shallow notch transom, battery boxes set up the same way. I have no holes in the location you show in the photos and I have never seen any water in either side box over 19 years of ownership.

Maybe the washdown pump or hose connections in your Port side battery compartment leaked at some point and shed water into that side box and that may have prompted your Dad to drill holes to drain to the deck.

There really isn't any way water should show up in the Stbd side battery compartment.

With holes now drilled in the side of the compartments flush at the deck level, it would be hard to keep water out. I would recommend sealing them up.

I agree with cbigma above, plug the holes, and don't spray water where the wires are going in there. also reroute the one wire that's heading upwards over the transom. some rain may be following that wire down and into the box. put a low point so water drips off before reaching the opening in the box?

if not leaking around the lid, or wire hole, it has to be coming from the holes your Dad made?

I've got the identical setup, 2520 MV, shallow notch transom, battery boxes set up the same way. I have no holes in the location you show in the photos and I have never seen any water in either side box over 19 years of ownership.

Maybe the washdown pump or hose connections in your Port side battery compartment leaked at some point and shed water into that side box and that may have prompted your Dad to drill holes to drain to the deck.

There really isn't any way water should show up in the Stbd side battery compartment.

With holes now drilled in the side of the compartments flush at the deck level, it would be hard to keep water out. I would recommend sealing them up.
Thanks cbigma! I'll start there.

I agree with cbigma above, plug the holes, and don't spray water where the wires are going in there. also reroute the one wire that's heading upwards over the transom. some rain may be following that wire down and into the box. put a low point so water drips off before reaching the opening in the box?

if not leaking around the lid, or wire hole, it has to be coming from the holes your Dad made?
Yea, good advise guys! Thanks!

Back