Water in bilge area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolimits

Reaction score
So I've pulled my hair out trying to trace where the water is coming from in the bilge area. Hopefully, someone may have come across the same issue or have some tips to troubleshoot this. It's a 2007 2320SL. After each day trip (10-12 hours), I always get about 2-3 gallons of water in the bilge. I've seen most other boats having a very dry bilge after similar trips. Here are some areas that I've looked but didn't reveal anything:

- Bait tank feed and drain hoses
- Bait tank pick up and pump
- Raw water pump
- Thruhull transducer seal
- Seacock (tried putting on some teflon tape also)
- Battery hatch seal

Where else should I look? I do get some splashes from the occasional high swells but it would have to go through the anchor locker hatch, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yup, forward bilge pump or from water up and past the rubrail when crossing wakes or in seas.

Uhhhh, did you TASTE it to confirm if fresh or salt ????? Could be rain water collecting somewhere you can't see, while at rest, that then gets funneled to bilge only after running her.

You will get rain or wash water into the bilge through the hawse pipe into the anchor rode locker.
That is normal.

As TimC said, you can also get backwash from the forward bilge through-hull even if you do have a proper weather loop.
That under deck area is small, so it doesn't take a lot of starboard sea to push through that small weather loop.

I don't believe I have a forward bilge pump. Where would it be located on a 2320SL? Can you explain what a weather loop is? I'm not familiar with this specific terminology.

Also, it's likely not fresh water since I've tried emptying the bilge at the launch ramp before leaving dock. I do this because I often rinse down the rode locker box with fresh water when washing the boat after a trip.

It doesn't seem like a lot of water but it worries me since it's atypical compared to other boats. Thanks for your advice and feedback.

I have seen.....Not on a Parker.....The joint at the top of a fiberglass, built in livewell leak and go to the bilge. This was on a '99 201 Proline W/A

It actually made the bilge pump kick on quite a bit.

Forward bilge either located under the pilot house floor, or under the Vberth. You should have a hatch in either place to access the pump.

Forward bilge pump looking directly down into the hatch.
If you have one, you will also have a manual over-ride switch for it (and another for the rear bilge) at your helm.

Attachments

• forward bilge.jpg
    forward bilge.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 832
I definitely don't have a forward bilge pump then. I only see a small 6" inspection port by the door. I will retry to go through each area methodically to rule things out one by one.

thanks again for all your advice and suggestions. I hope there's an answer to this problem of mine.

I was able to contact Parker. They confirmed that "There is not a forward bilge pump in a 2320", including mine. They suggested to check for leaks around the guardboard drain plug or the anchor locker hatch.

One thing you can do (if you trailer) is to lay a garden hose in the bilge (while on trailer) and put a few inches of water in the bilge. Check any thru hulls for water leaking out (instead of in). Trouble shot a friends boat that way and found a faulty garboard plug not bedded sufficiently.

Nolimits":14f7xavq said:
I was able to contact Parker. They confirmed that "There is not a forward bilge pump in a 2320", including mine. They suggested to check for leaks around the guardboard drain plug or the anchor locker hatch.

Interesting cause there is one in mine. They must have stopped putting them in the 2320's at a certain year.

Nolimits":15y6zvcg said:
Can you explain what a weather loop is? I'm not familiar with this specific terminology.

First photo is of the weather loop(s) connected to my aft bilge pumps.
The weather loop keeps wave action from entering your bilge discharge on the side of the boat, and back flowing freely into your bilge.

The second photo is more difficult to see, but it is the weather loop for the forward bilge pump.
Because the space under deck is so confined, and the bilge discharge is so close to the water line, this one can be the cause of water entry into the forward bilge in rough starboard seas.

Hope this explains the terminology.

Attachments

• rear bilge pump weather loops.jpg
    rear bilge pump weather loops.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 720
  • forward bilge weather loop.jpg
    forward bilge weather loop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 720
Thanks again for your ideas and your time to help troubleshoot this problem, one of the key reasons why I love this forum. You learn so much and so fast with the knowledge base coming out of this community.

I definitely will do the leak test by filling the hull with water. This should help to rule out several key thru-hull areas. Although I don't believe the problem is in the rubrail seals, I will go over and caulk any suspect cracks. The local Parker dealer said this is a very common problem. My cabin headliner carpet would have been soaked if water somehow got in through those cracks.

Just waiting for a good weekend to diagnose it thoroughly. I do appreciate all your feedback, photos, and comments.

If yours is like mine check the two floor drains.they connect to two thru hulls that set a little below the water.

Back