Water in bilge area

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be too simple and you may have already addressed this, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. You trailer the boat and check the bilge at the launch ramp. But if there is rain water or water from washing in the forward bilge you will not be aware of it until you bring the boat on plane and the water travels back to the aft bilge.Mike

Couldn't go out today due to our nasty gale warning and high seas so it was a good day to diagnose this problem. Spent almost the entire afternoon follow up on all your suggested leads. Still have not found the smoking gun but was able to rule out several areas and now have some probable causes.

Started out with the leak test. Well, even before filling the hull with fresh water, I already found some water in the bilge area. It was likely from the prior washdown of the anchor rode locker. Nonetheless, I filled it up until the water line was about 1 inch above the bilge float switch (had to disengage the switch by putting some weight on the float). After about 1 hour, no water leaks found.

- Guardboard drain plug area - completely dry
- Raw water pickup (bait pump and raw water pump intake) - all dry
- Thruhull transducer - perfect
- Overall hull - dry from bow to stern

I let water run throughout the deck to check all the seals of several hatches and around the bait tank.

- Battery hatch - OK
- Gas tank access hatch - OK
- Bait tank seals - OK
- Round inspection hatch by the door - OK

Completely filled up the bait tank.

- No leaks in feed line
- No leaks in drain line

Inspected for cracks or gaps between the hull and the rub rail. I only found a relatively small gap near the bow but figured that it can't be it since I rarely have wet carpet in the cabin. Just to be safe, I will seal it with 3M 4200 later

Checked the weatherloop for the bilge pump. The discharge hose does not appear to be much higher than the thru hull. I'm thinking this might be a source of water coming in when planing.

I now remember there were a couple of pin holes in my raw water coiled hose. That water stream could be squirting into a gap area in the splash guard. I decided to trash the hose and will get a new one instead of worrying about it.

So overall, I didn't find any definitive root cause(s) and I have been able to rule out many areas. My next trip will bring more insight on the remaining suspect areas. And by the way, I did confirm that there's no forward bilge pump. It appears that there's a provision for an optional unit as you step into the cabin but it's not installed.

It was a good exercise to go through. Great knowing that all pumps are working. I found a couple of items needing clean up and repair. Hopefully, I will be able to pinpoint it in a week or so. Stay tuned.

Fix for splash guard gap water intrusion. The only way water gets into the bilge is from the anchor locker drain which isn't much at all.

file.php

file.php

That's very creative and effective. Looks really nice too! You just gave me an idea to use insulating foam tube and wedge it in there. It probably won't look as neat but it's less invasive work. By the way, I like the battery hatch on your boat. Can you give me the brand and type?

thanks

Nolimits":1dbz2dj2 said:
That's very creative and effective. Looks really nice too! You just gave me an idea to use insulating foam tube and wedge it in there. It probably won't look as neat but it's less invasive work. By the way, I like the battery hatch on your boat. Can you give me the brand and type?

thanks

However you do it just make sure you don't completely seal off the gap. That area needs ventilation/air flow. That's why I didn't continue all the to the transom with the shield.........just back far enough to keep salt spray and deck wash down water from going directly into that area. Another important aspect of the mod is that the splash guard comes from the factory sealed to the deck with caulk. This traps a substantial amount of water over time behind the splash guard and the raised lip above the bilge with no where to drain. Get rid of the caulk so this water can weep out and eventually dry back there.

Hatch =14x24 Beckson beige/off white. Use a generous amount of 4200 and don't over tighten the screws. Snug is good enough or the holes will spider crack over time as you step on the hatch because the Beckson hatch is rigid unlike the OEM hatch.

Took her out for an overnight trip. I checked the bilge right after launching the boat and saw some water slush. I had completely drained everything from my last inspection. I also replaced the washdown coiled hose as previous mentioned. When I got back the next day, I drained it to a 5 gallon bucket. There's still about 2 gallons of sea water.

I called up Parker again and spoke to the support engineer. We suspect that the water got in through the bilge hose thruhull since there's no weather loop for that hose (not enough space to route it up). And it probably occurred as I dropped the boat into the water. I had a full tank of gas and lots of ice so it was much heavier than usual in the stern. He told to plug the thruhull next time as I launch to confirm. Or don't plug it and have another person monitor the bilge to see if water is getting in during the launch.

Again, no smoking gun but there's a good place to look next time.

Back