Water in bilge on new 23SE?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw1

Reaction score
Hey was wondering if anyone else with a 21 or 23SE is getting water in bilge? I went on the boat 4 times and every time i check there is more water in the bilge...no drips around the thru hulls as far.

Otherwise love the boat so far, great handling & fish ability. My worries about 14 degree deadrise are put to rest, a little bit of tab and she cuts the chop with the nose.

I get a little water in my bilge on my 23SE from time to time as well. I found mine was due to me not raising the tongue on my trailer enough when not in use.

By the way, it is a great boat when you learn the sweet spots with the trim tabs.

So the we both are having rain water or something entering somewhere...if u have to raise ur boat to keep the water running out of drain plug that means water is getting in there. My boat is kept in the water so i don't have option of pulling the plug. I shouldn't have to get the nose up & bring pump down and empty the bilge on a boat like this! This amount of water should not be getting in there in a short period of time.

Geeze so we all have this? What do the guys who keep wet slipped do? Guess i gonna need a portable 12v pump. Yea i thought that bilge hatch is real weak and may leak. What about the console, i noticed mine is not siliconed and thus water getting underneath wonder if its leaking in there somewhere as well....also the plastic rigging tubes on either side of batt boxes are open which i do not like at all...when wash boat down water can go right in there, anyone find a cap or plug for those?

I was getting water in the Cabin/bilge. Found out that water was getting under the rubrail and then coming in through one of the screw holes. Siliconed the whole rail haven't had a problem with water since then. It was very difficult to find though I had to go down the boat during a good rainstorm and look for the source. The hose thing wasn't enough to identify the source of the leak. Good Luck.

I don't think that would pertain to us with CC as the water would just go on to our decks if it came thru the rub rail.....but thanx for the tip.

Can you correlate water in the bilge with rain. If it is correlated with rain then that will help you eliminate through the hull fittings. My neighbor kept getting water in his bilge and it turned out to be the raw water thru-the-hull brass fitting has a crack. It was a bad brass casting.

But correlating with or without rain will get you in the right direction.

djw1":3klstrqx said:
What do the guys who keep wet slipped do?

Make sure that all deck hatches are sealed properly and that o-rings are lubricated. I have several posts in the "Projects" area showing how I accomplished this task on my boat.

Maintain a primary and a backup bilge pump aft (another one of my project posts).

Maintain good batteries with a method for keeping them charged during major storm events (yet another of my project posts).

Provide ventillation under deck to allow trapped moisture to escape (multiple project posts on this one, showing several different methods owners have engineered).

Its just one of those things that you learn to deal with when you are wet slipped.

If you are on a trailer, it's even easier.
1. remove garboard drain plug
2. store the boat with the trailer tongue cranked up
3. never forget to re-install the garboard plug before launching :D

I'm on a trailer, and at the end of a sunny, rain-free, sheet-of-glass day I get water in my bilge. I thought that some may be coming in the forward bilge thru-hull, but that wasn't it.

Then one day I noticed that when I winch the boat up on the trailer, the transom is forced down a bit, and the scuppers go under water.

So I had one of my sons open the bilge hatch and watch as I winched the boat on the trailer. Sure enough, there was a strong trickle of water past each scupper that was running onto the deck and overflowing into the bilge. Not a lot, but enough to give me that quart to half-gallon that was running out of the garboard drain once I was at the top of the ramp. Once I diagnosed the problem, I quit worrying.

Dave

aka

Mine is usually rainwater I believe coming in through the anchor locker. Always brings a bit of sand with it which is on the chain or rode.

How much water are we talking about here? I have a 23SE that I keep at the dock all season. My bildge is never bone dry - but rarely is there more than 1/4" or so of water in there (substantially less than it would take to trip my bildge pump float switch). If you have more than that, I would think one of your deck plates, or your bildge hatch is leaky. I'd start trouble shooting your hatches.

Same here. I keep mine on a mooring most of the summer with few issues. Yes some water, but not more than I consider normal. It sounds like it is getting in from somewhere else on the deck.

Back