Water in Bilge

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2520XL. I am getting tired of having water in the bilge. The water level is below the level at which the float switch turns on the bilge pump. I try to keep it dry by scooping the water out by hand. I guess I am a little anal about it. I believe the water is coming from rain going into the anchor line locker. The water then drains from the locker into the bilge. Most boats have a drainage from the anchor line locker directly to the outside but, the 2520XL drains the water into the bilge. Has anyone corrected this so that it drains directly to the outside and if so how did you modify?

Are you positive it's coming from the anchor locker?
I have a '99 2520 with the anchor hawse pipe up front and get zilch since I bought it new. The only water i get in the bilge is when I wash down the pilot house floor once in awhile and then I just sponge out the forward bilge (any water runs forward while sitting as I'm sure you know).

check out the access hatch in the deck in front of the transom. I've replaced the hatch with a brand new and exact match one in the hope that it would stop water intrusion. Not any better. The Tempress hatch is mediocre as it has no means to tighten it down and the gasket in it is lame.

TimC2520 thanks for the reply: yesterday I plugged the drain hole in the anchor line locked and we are going to get rain Wednesday and then I will be able to determine for sure if my assumption is correct. You quoted a "anchor hawse pipe" is that a typing error or is that something I don't know?

R & R: thanks for the reply. I had the two hatches above the fuel tank replaced. If I still get water in the bilge from the rain this Wednesday then I would have to suspect the hatch you are referring is leaking the water.

I will post again after the rain on Wednesday.

I have the same problem. I have a 2520xdl 2013 new parker. I have tried to seal the openings around the hatch with weather strip but the way they have cut the opening for the rope does not help, also that helped but water still hinds its way into the pilot house bildge. I have a windless so don't need the hatch but don't want to caulk it shut. I emailed factory and the said have a cover made for it to cover hatch and rain gutter[ HU ] This it the only design flaw I have found so far. I will find a way to stop the water from getting in there. I also like a dry boat.
Also the forward bildge is not wired to the battery and I brought it up to the factory and they said all water will run to rear pump. Filled up forward bildge and cabin filled up with water. HU

Has a little water in the bilge ever caused a problem? I lived aboard a sailboat for 3 years and the shower drained into the bilge. On my last 4 boats, a dry bilge has never been a priority...in fact water in the bilge was/is normal day.

I have a piezo siren on my dash that sounds when the pump comes on so I can monitor it's activity and be alert to constant incoming water which may be a problem.

Having a boat with a dry bilge would definity be nice. Most boats ive owned have always had a small amount of water in the bilge fron rain, washing or condensation but its never been a big problem. Some boats dont even have a self baling deck and the scuppers drain directly into the bilge. Not a good idea but some manufacturers do it

I always have a little water in the bilge.
The good news is that it's fresh water.

I have a little water in the forward bilge all the time. I pour some soap and bleach in there and it keeps it nice and clean.

Mem Day weekend I spent a couple hours in my boat at dock (re-wiring, etc.) while it was raining and discovered several small rain leaks. 3 of them were around bow rail holes (I've since re-chalked them - note: removing/installing bow rail not a one-person job!!). I indeed do get rain in via the anchor locker, probably my biggest source, though I have a windless so I have a bigger hole up there. Going to have a canvas windless cover made which should help, but the saltier guys at my marina will certainly make fun of me for it. My OEM deck plates were leaking too, but they've all been replaced.

All that said, does any of it matter? Not unless it matters to you!

1996 2530. Every rain get some through hawes pipe for anchor locker.

Easiest is to use a manual bilge pump every once in awhile.

Even with electric bilge pumps, they do not pump all water out.

Back