Water in Pilothouse

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktomlinson

Reaction score
I've had my Parker 2520 in some rough seas, and noticed that occasionally I get water running down the walls in the pilothouse. If I wanted to reseal this area where would I look, under the rub rail? My rub rail looks to be in good shape. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, taking the rub rail off is the only way to fix it correctly and permanently. Post some pics of it when you get around to the fix. Good luck!

I got some black marine silicone and caulked the rub rail underneath. Problem solved. But if you have the time and knowledge I guess best thing would be to remove rub rail and check everything out.

I am going to remove my rubrail and see what it looks like under there and then decide best course of action. Is this a common issue? I never heard about it when researching Parker's, but there's a few of you that seem to have experience with it. I'm curious if I'm going to find missing bolts too, the water that comes in when in bigger seas is more than a drip.

More than likely it's just some missing caulking. After you remove rub rail and reseal you will be good to go.

My 2005 had no problems. This happened with my 2009 2520, Parker did a patch job at the dealer, that didn't fix the problem and I paid $250.00 to haul the boat each way. I bought my 2013 XLD (now 1 year old) and its doing the same thing in rough seas. Sucks when I go away for the weekend and my clothes & bedding are wet. I called Parker & they said to get an estimate. I did where I keep my boat and was told the only way to properly repair this is to remove & reseal the rub rail for $1000. Parker said no, too much $. I got a call saying Parker would only pay to patch 1 section & it had to go to the dealer. I said I would pay the difference to have it done right, they said no. So I have to spend $500 in hauling back and fowarth to the dealer who couldn't fix my last boat and probally can't now with our removing the entire rub rail . Would have thought Parker would have gotten it right since 2009. Way to go Parker leaving a 3rd time Parker boat buyer hung out to dry with his $120,000.00 boat. Thanks !

I have a 2007 2520 that's doing it on both sides of the pilot house, and less so, but still some leaking in the cuddy. The first time I took it out I had it cleaned and detailed and got into 6' waves on the way back in...my clean interior was wet with salt water. It's one thing on a 2007, it's much different on your 2013!! I can't believe they won't help you, it must be a known issue.

Fasteners can become loose with jarring, hitting things, and corrosion. Aside from the repairs listed, some have dabbed the fasteners with sealant where you can get to them. Sometimes is just a couple of them.

I've owned a lot of other boats and never had this problem. Properly installed lock washers / nylon lock nuts don't come loose. this happened 7 months into ownership but I had the boat in south Florida with no dealers around. I asked to have the boat repaired when I had it shipped back to mass & was told no problem. Time to repair & Parker cheaps out & leaves a 3 time customer on his own with an expensive "warrantied" repair.

Should I buy a new rub rail? How big of a job is putting one back on? My buddy said you have to stretch them, is that true?

Being we are in warmer weather you should be ok to remove and replace. What I learned is try not to stretch it out because it's softer. Now when In the colder months you might need to stretch but definitely not this time of year. I did have 2 inches I had to cut off when I put it back together last year in warm temps.

You guys got me thinking about this so last weekend while spending the night on board, I lifted the carpet that covers the screws on the deck joint and noticed that mine didn't have machine screws and nuts on every connection. I think it was every other one or maybe every third one. The others looked like a wood or sheet metal type screw with no nuts? Next time I'll snap a pic.

Interesting. I haven't had the time to do this project yet (I keep my boat a little over two hours away from my house, and the weather has been too good on weekends to do this!) but am very curious as to what I'll find under there!

Back