weather radar

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker23WA

Reaction score
does anybody have a weather radar on the boat like this?

jimmy-19225-onbi.jpg

from what i understand from talking to people at various boat shows, both Furuno and Northstar offer satellite weather modules that hook up to their multifunction displays. with them, you get weather overlays, visual wind overlays (dot and tail representation), and SST. they plug right into northstars 6000 and 6100, and furuno's navnet vx2 and 3D. not sure if any other manufacturers offer them at this time.

Jim Maier, owner of BOE Marine, has a Garmin 5212 based system on his Pacific plate alloy demonstrator that has XM Weather overlay on his chartplotter. It is a very slick system and is easy to use.

Image-AEA30C4E7AB611DC.jpg

Yep. An XM weather subscription and a MFD (Chartplotter) that allows for overlays will provide you with that graphic. Each machine has it's own buttons for customizing the image, but the basic info will be there.

An example of how it looks on Grouper Jim's 3XXX Garmin, is linked:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=4710

If his boat had radar, it would look just like the picture you attached.

If you like the idea of estimating storm distance via the radar rings, you could accomplish the same thing by moving the MFD cursor to the storm cell and the display should tell you the distance.

Also, if you look closely, you'll see that the display is actually a monitor for a Windows PC. In theory, if you had a laptop or a flat panel monitor with a small PC stowed away running on an inverter, and a cellular data card, you could just pull up weather.com or any other real time radar imagery wherever you have cellular signal.

we dont have weather radar, but we easily watch/track storms on our Raymarine open array. We always check the weather before we go offshore so we know what to look for, if anything, before we head out. Knock on wood, but it hasnt let us down yet.

channel_surfer":qnj4rske said:
No, but that photo makes me remember how much I DON'T miss my walkaround with canvas enclosure..... :)

That is because he forgot to snap it down. I love the snap-in canvas on my WA. It lets me open it up in the summer and get the wind in my face. In Dec at the CBBT, I snap it all down and cover the gap with 100 mph tape...absolutely watertight. A small Coleman propane heater will drive you out of the enclosure in 30 deg WX.

Dave

aka

Back