West coast rocket launchers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A. Veil

Reaction score
Yesterday I flew to San Diego for several day of meetings that start on Mon. I spent several hours walking around the Mission Bay section of town near the beach. Among the other sights, I discovered the local Parker dealership nearby. Almost all of their boats were equipped with rocket launchers of styles that I don't see on the East coast. The pilot house boats had two tiers of rod holders to fit more rods in the same lateral space. The center consoles had T-tops with the rod holders on the front edge of the top rather than the more typical rear edge of the top.

I felt like a kid in a candy store walking around the dealership. Unfortunately, the dealer staff ignored me, even though I was wearing a Parker hat. I walked around the boats inside and outside of the showroom, climbed on a few and checked out the rest. One salesman was working with a customer, another was on the phone, but three others were taking a smoke/soda break outside and made no effort to talk to me, who for all they know could have been a potential customer. I was interested in buying one of their t-shirts -- it is a standard Parker t-shirt, but in addition to the logo, it says "Parker Fishing Team" on the front. However, nobody stepped up to wait on me so I left.

Attachments

• san diego 001.JPG
    san diego 001.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,876
  • san diego 002.JPG
    san diego 002.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,876
That is the first time I've seen rocket launchers mounted to the front edge of a t-top. :shock:

The double-row on a pilothouse I've seen before, but that CC just looks odd to me.
Does anyone know why they are mounted that way?

Megabyte":35cmyqw2 said:
That is the first time I've seen rocket launchers mounted to the front edge of a t-top. :shock:

The double-row on a pilothouse I've seen before, but that CC just looks odd to me.
Does anyone know why they are mounted that way?

IMO, the advantage of front mounted rocket launchers (easier for short people to step on console seat to reach) is MORE than offset by asthetics.

Reminds me of something Harley Earl once said (re: minivans)..."A box is a box, no matter how utiliterian it is" :D

Maybe someone could shoot the dealer an e-mail. Next time the "smokers" are on break, they could remove the windshield grab rail, thus finishing the T-Top install. :wink:

Most of the guys who mount rod holders on the front of the T top do it to avoid hitting the overhead rods/reels while casting.

Oh and by the way, that is pretty typical of the treatment most people get at that dealership. It's what happens when you're the only game in town.

Actually, if you look at some of the Parker catalogs in the past you see rod holders mounted on the front of the t-tops. Not all pictures but some. I just figured they were printing errors or semi imposed pictures added to the catalog. Looks strange though. Did you happen to see any prices on the boats you saw? I imagine there was a nice left coast/west coast delivery charge.

I get the same treatment at that dealer every time I'm there! For some reason their former competition in LA County does not carry the Parker line anymore.
I presently have a 21SE and would like to add a 2520SL to the fleet but I won't buy from that dealer.

I guess I was the exception. I bought my boat from them back in April and they treated me very well, no complaints. I have the rocket launchers that are in your first pic. They were mounted on the boat when it shipped from the factory. Randy.

Uncle Matt":28wy0juc said:
Did you happen to see any prices on the boats you saw? I imagine there was a nice left coast/west coast delivery charge.

Many of the boats did not list prices, but a 2530 in the showroom did. I thought the price was pretty high, but I have never priced that model before. so I did not know for sure. They were asking $110K for the 2530 with kitchentte, twin 4-stroke 150s, and a trailer.

It was a beautiful boat but that is a lot of cash.

J.A. Veil":1crkof2j said:
Uncle Matt":1crkof2j said:
Did you happen to see any prices on the boats you saw? I imagine there was a nice left coast/west coast delivery charge.

Many of the boats did not list prices, but a 2530 in the showroom did. I thought the price was pretty high, but I have never priced that model before. so I did not know for sure. They were asking $110K for the 2530 with kitchentte, twin 4-stroke 150s, and a trailer.

It was a beautiful boat but that is a lot of cash.

Yes, all the prices there are very high. I once asked why the prices were so much higher than they were on the East Coast. I didn't want to argue...in fact, I had my checkbook in my back pocket, I knew what I wanted, AND WAS READY TO BUY!! I just wanted to get a feel for why there is such a big difference (the 3-4K for shipping from NC is a given). I was snapped at and told to "GO BUY A FLORIDA BOAT! SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET SERVICE FROM (THIS DEALERSHIP). YOU WILL ALWAYS BE AT THE END OF A VERY LONG LINE. THE PEOPLE WHO BUY FROM ME GET TAKEN CARE OF FIRST. IS THAT WORTH SAVING A FEW GRAND?"
After that, I kind of lost my taste for buying a new Parker. My 21 year old beater Yahama V6 150 still pushes my 86' Pro-line at about 40mph (WOT) and starts up every time I turn the key.
Anyway, there will be a new Parker in my future...I guess, the longer I wait, the more accessories I can add to it!

Bigboy":1veexlqz said:
I get the same treatment at that dealer every time I'm there! For some reason their former competition in LA County does not carry the Parker line anymore.
I presently have a 21SE and would like to add a 2520SL to the fleet but I won't buy from that dealer.

I spoke to those guys at the LA boat show last year. They were a bit bitter that Parker pulled the line from them. They took on the Osprey Pilothouse boats as a replacement. Seems very solid, but they are not for me. For one, I like to stand at the helm ...and in the Osprey, I can't stand up straight. (I am a very short dude! 5'4"). Osprey's are also over 100K for the 24'.

The "west coast style" rocket launchers are used to carry a variety of rods to the fishing spot. If you look close they do not have any rearward angle like the east coast launchers as they are designed to carry rods not troll with them. I had a set of west coast “Parker” launchers modified to have a rearward tilt so I can use them to troll. I needed the extra holders to accommodate extra rods on my planner boards. I also liked the chrome color of the west coast launchers verses the brass look of the east coast style offered at the dealer I am in the process of adding 4 more holders at outward angles to spread my long baits apart. Some people look at me like I’m crazy (maybe I am) but in my opinion its better to have too many choices than not enough. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Cockpit From Above(small).jpg
    Cockpit From Above(small).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,236
maxout":1ws81uay said:
I had a set of west coast “Parker” launchers modified to have a rearward tilt so I can use them to troll.

....errrr ... and WHAT species are you trolling for??

I have seen sooooooooooooooooo many "clusters" on boats trolling for school bluefin tuna here in the NE only to have a medium smack the line coming from the cabin top :shock: ! Haha ;) !

Seneca Lake Dave":u8y3p329 said:
"GO BUY A FLORIDA BOAT! SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET SERVICE FROM (THIS DEALERSHIP). YOU WILL ALWAYS BE AT THE END OF A VERY LONG LINE. THE PEOPLE WHO BUY FROM ME GET TAKEN CARE OF FIRST. IS THAT WORTH SAVING A FEW GRAND?"
!

Why would anyone buy a boat from a dealer with this attitude, at any price? Yamaha service is available anywhere (should one ever need it). What is there to "service" on a Parker hull? I had a livewell pump go out once. I would say replacing the $24.99 pump myself was definately worth "SAVING A FEW GRAND" :roll: What a hollow threat.

I'm always looking for an opportunity. Maybe I should consider "importing" late-model used Parkers to California. :D

DaleH":2sj2d2g6 said:
maxout":2sj2d2g6 said:
I had a set of west coast “Parker” launchers modified to have a rearward tilt so I can use them to troll.

I have seen sooooooooooooooooo many "clusters" on boats trolling for school bluefin tuna here in the NE only to have a medium smack the line coming from the cabin top :shock: ! Haha ;) !

.....errr....dolphin, sailfish, king mackeral, blackfin tuna, cobia to name a few. :wink:

DaleH":3cjypygd said:
maxout":3cjypygd said:

I agree that is not good....But I fish mainly Striped Bass. Catch many on the rocket launchers with 16 poles in the water. Sometimes several at a time. With a skilled crew rarely have any problems. The only person going HaHa! is me unloading my huge Stripers back at the pier.

When I am fishing for Tuna off-shore I generally only run 4 - 8 rods (@ $1000.00 a rod it I can't afford to run more) Many people who do not fish the Chesapeake Bay have a hard time understanding the benefits of running 16 rods or even how to begin to set them up without making a mess. If you are ever in the area in the early spring or fall I would be glad to take you out and show you how we do it. Trust me if you like to fish you will be hooked (pardon the pun).

I wanted to add a more positive post script to the negative remarks about the dealer. One of my friends who attended the conference with me here in San Diego is also a fisherman. Although he owns a Boston Whaler rather than a Parker, his last name is Parker. He visited the dealer on Tues, told them his name and said he wanted one of the T-shirts that said "Parker Fishing Team". He told me that they gave him a free T-shirt. I wish I had gone with him.

Empty Pockets rocket launchers.

Mariner Enterprise 14 tube.

I had two spreader light included in the mix as well.

They were installed by Sundance Marine in San Diego before I towed the boat home.

Kevin G

e80f2d9f.jpg

Back