West Palm Fla. to Cape May, NJ

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

Staff member
Reaction score
My good friend just purchased a 35 Viking that recently underwent a total refit. One minor problem, the boat is in West Palm Beach. So...the two of us decided to take a boat ride. We are flying to Florida early Friday and leaving via Viking early Saturday. Our course is now charted and we are chomping at the bit to get underway. I will be sure to take pictures along the way and if I am able I will post our progress.

Brad

Brad, this sounds like it will be an exciting trip. Look forward to hearing more about it. Stay safe.

Brad, Will you be running up the Chesapeake and through the C&D, or will you be staying outside as much as possible?

Kevin - we plan on running outside as much as possible. With that said, the weather is not looking great, so we may have to run the ditch part of the time.

Tired...but just wanted to check in. Left West Palm on Saturday, June 28 and arrived in Cape May on July 2, 2008. Boat ran awesome and we made the trip with no problems aside from weather. Ran from West Palm to Amelia Island Florida for the leg 1. Day 2 we only made it to Charleston, SC. Ran 150 miles in 25 knot winds out of the SW. Not a nice ride. Day 3, we ran ICW from Charleston to Southport, NC. (9 hours) Day 4, was to Oregon inlet via Pamlaco Sound. Finally, day 5 was Oregon inlet to Cape May. 1090 miles in 5 days! I will update later with pictures and detail. I am glad I made the trip and would do it again!

Brad

Oregon inlet to Cape May... Now that is a haul! :shock:

Rest up, then post the details of the trip! :)

I took many pictures over the five day trip - I thought I would share a few.

Attachments

• Viking Delivery 021 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 021 (Small).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 517
  • Viking Delivery 023 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 023 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 517
  • Viking Delivery 032 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 032 (Small).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 517
a few more

Attachments

• Viking Delivery 047 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 047 (Small).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 512
  • Viking Delivery 048 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 048 (Small).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 512
  • Viking Delivery 077 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 077 (Small).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 512
More?

Attachments

• Viking Delivery 089 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 089 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 507
  • Viking Delivery 105 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 105 (Small).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 507
  • Viking Delivery 123 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 123 (Small).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 507
And finally home in Cape May!

Attachments

• Viking Delivery 134 (Small).jpg
    Viking Delivery 134 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 504
So... How was the trip? Would you do it again?
It looks like you ran the ditch. Did you keep a log that you can share?
Where did you spend the nights? What was your average speed and fuel burn?

Details man. We need details! :D

Details

Day 1 - Left Palm Beach and ran the outside to Cape Canavaral where we got fuel. That was approx 150 miles. From there we went to Amelia Island. Due to bad storm (see Radar picture) we did not get in until 11:00 pm. were we tied up at Ferdinand's It was 100 miles from the Cape to Amelia Island. Cruise speed was approx 26 knots burning 35 gallons per hour.

Day 2 - Plan was to cover 250 miles. The first leg was Amelia to Charleston South Carolina which was approx 150 miles. Unfortunately, SW winds got the best of us and after 150 miles we stopped in Charleston, SC where we spent the night at Charleston Town Marina. (What an amazing marina. Average size vessel was about 100 foot.)

Day 3 - SW winds 25 knots gusting to 30. We were not sure whether to lay over or run the ditch. After calling Boat US, we were put in touch with a local tow boat captain who told us we could make it to Southport NC within one day, via the ditch. 9 hours later we arrived at Southport Marina.

Day 4 - 200 mile run - Southport to Morehead City. We then ran down Adams Creek to the Neuse River. Made a fuel stop in Oreintal NC before heading to the Pamlico Sound. About 8 hours later we were tied up in Pirates Cove Marina in Oregon Inlet.

Day 5 - Final 200 miles. Got up with the Oregon Inlet Charter fleet so we could follow them out Oregon Inlet. We were greeted with calm seas and were trucking along at 27 knots. A fuel stop was made in Virgina Beach at Rudee Inlet. Talk about a narrow inlet! Finally, at 3:00 pm we backed into the slip at Cape May Marina.

Yes, I had the time of my life and I would do the trip again in a heartbeat. The east coast is just beautiful and what is better than spending time on the water with a great friend followed up with great meals at night.

As soon as Keith and I add up the fuel receipts, I will post the total amount burned as well as the cost. By the way, Keith's two boys ages 11 and 13 had no idea that their dad sold the 23 Grady and purchased the 35 Viking. Talk about two exited kids.

Parker":b2uktajg said:
Keith's two boys ages 11 and 13 had no idea that their dad sold the 23 Grady and purchased the 35 Viking. Talk about two exited kids.

I'll bet! I'd trade a 23 Grady for a 35 Viking any day. 8)

Excellent report.

One of the best things I did on my first trip up the coast (Miami to Annapolis) was to keep a detailed log. If you ever make that trip again, that log will reward you many times over with the good (and bad) overnight accommodations as well as details about inlets, fuel docks, and other details that will become invaluable 'the next time'.

I know what you mean about being the "little guy" in the marina. We stayed one night in Wrightsville Beach Marina in between a pair of 70+' sport fishermen (we were in a 47' motor yacht) and felt like we didn't belong. (we didn't!) :shock:

What a great adventure. Congratulations! :wink:

WOW that was some trip you had there,sounded like alot of fun for sure!!!Glad that it all worked out with the trip!!!Great day by day you told as well!!

Back