What Anchor Are You Using?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antidote

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2520XLD with Twin Yamaha 200s. The 14# Delta (china knock off) that came with the boat new doesn't hold even with 40' of chain attached. It roles on it's side and doesn't bite. I bought a Lewmar claw china knock off; but, it doesn't auto deploy off the Lewmar windless. Someone has to go up front and give it a shove. Anyone have an anchor that will free fall and hold?

i have a 2501 w/ twin 200s.

i bought the boat used and it came with a lewmar windlass/roller/anchor set up.

i ditched the windlass (lewmar) altogether and went with an old school fortress 10# w/ball retrieval set up. got tired of the same sort of aggravation you are feeling.

i keep the primary set up and long line in a bin for when i know i’ll be anchoring and keep an “everyday”/safety west marine set up in the built in anchor locker.

Hi Antidote,

I settled on a Fortress FX-11 for my 2520 after researching best anchors for the Chesapeake Bay. There was a test conducted up the bay using a large station keeping vessel equipped with dynamometer for measuring applied loads. The Fortress outperformed all other anchors tested. Thus far. I have been very pleased. As a side note, loosening the axle bolt on the anchor roller & applying a little marine grease eliminated the tendency for my anchor to hang up while deploying.

Cap'n Dan

I have what came with the boat, a standard lewmar, but only anchored once and it held okay. Having done quite of bit of cruising with my former boat and I anchored over night quite a bit, I recommend a Manson Supreme or a Rocna. A 15 pound should do it. If you want to go overkill 25 pound. I always slept peacefully. Ten years of anchoring overnight and I never dragged. even under some horrible conditions.

Someone has to go up front and give it a shove.

Thats standard. :)

As to anchor holding. Asking on here will not do you much good.....UNLESS you have the body of water area where you want to anchor and anthor person lives in that area also.
It takes a different type anchor for a different bottom.....T'm sure the type bottom where you are is different than where I am. So....a recommendation would do you no good.

I have a 2019 2520XLD with Twin Yamaha 200s. The 14# Delta (china knock off) that came with the boat new doesn't hold even with 40' of chain attached. It roles on it's side and doesn't bite. I bought a Lewmar claw china knock off; but, it doesn't auto deploy off the Lewmar windless. Someone has to go up front and give it a shove. Anyone have an anchor that will free fall and hold?
Hi Antidote, our 2520 XLD came with the 14# Delta. I switched it to a 22# Delta. Also, using the Lewmar Profish windlass, I had to go forward to 'push' it off the roller to get it started. I found that Parker used a 'too short' bolt through the roller, and to engage the threads on the lock-nut, it had to be tightened to the point where the roller would not roll.... Here's two short videos, of the fix. After doing this, the anchor self-deploys... (1) Parker 2520, Bow Anchor Roller; NOW it rolls! - YouTube

(1) Parker 2520 Lewmar Anchor. Now it Works! Here's Why! - YouTube

1629478440331.png

Hi Antidote,

I settled on a Fortress FX-11 for my 2520 after researching best anchors for the Chesapeake Bay. There was a test conducted up the bay using a large station keeping vessel equipped with dynamometer for measuring applied loads. The Fortress outperformed all other anchors tested. Thus far. I have been very pleased. As a side note, loosening the axle bolt on the anchor roller & applying a little marine grease eliminated the tendency for my anchor to hang up while deploying.

Cap'n Dan
Hi Dan, I remember seeing that test (and other similar-type tests) you speak of. We too had an aluminum Fortress 37 on our previous boat, and it did well in many types of bottoms. On that same boat we also had a large galvanized steel Danforth and a genuine CQR 35#. We ended up using the CQR the most often, especially for overnight anchoring in adverse weather. There were times we had both the Fortress and the CQR deployed in a 'Y' configuration. We also carried a Kedge-style anchor, but never used it. We never anchored where it would have been useful. It was stored below decks. (I sent the picture of the Kedge, because a buddy of mine had not seen one/or was not familiar with it. It's used in areas with rocks. We don't have rocks in NC... Ours is now a yard decoration on some pilings)
1629479249462.png

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input. I was able to have a friend weld a gusset into the the 90 degree angle of my Lewmar Claw (China knock off). With a little massaging of the gusset the anchor now rolls off the pulpit. Warthog, the Claw type anchors works the best for my area inshore and offshore. Andy, I made sure my roller spun freely before making any modifications.
View attachment IMG_3997.MOV

I had a Lewmar that came with the boat. I have a Lexmark Profish windlass dead drop. Lost the first anchor on a wreck, and almost lost several others. I’m using 30’ of chain for largely sandy bottoms near Hilton Head. Switched to a Fortress which I love, and carry a reef anchor for fishing the sunken wrecks. I have a large industrial type carabiner attached to the chain, which makes switching out the anchors painless.

I had a Lewmar that came with the boat. I have a Lexmark Profish windlass dead drop. Lost the first anchor on a wreck, and almost lost several others. I’m using 30’ of chain for largely sandy bottoms near Hilton Head. Switched to a Fortress which I love, and carry a reef anchor for fishing the sunken wrecks. I have a large industrial type carabiner attached to the chain, which makes switching out the anchors painless.

Do you rig your anchor to break away with zip ties if it snags? The anchor I recently lost was cut off fighting a King fish on a wire leader. The leader wrapped around the rode and cut the rope. Lost 100' of rope, 40' of chain and an anchor.

By the way...i see you are in Bluffton. I’m out of Wexford. Maybe hook up sometime for a little angling. I’m a friend of Collins. Caught a female Cobia together a few years back and gave her to the Wadell for breeding.
RumRunner

That’s a tough break. Hard to believe that wire would cut the rope that quickly. No, I haven’t done the zip tie thing yet. maybe ill try it. Thanks.

By the way...i see you are in Bluffton. I’m out of Wexford. Maybe hook up sometime for a little angling. I’m a friend of Collins. Caught a female Cobia together a few years back and gave her to the Wadell for breeding.
RumRunner

It was kind for odd when I lost the anchor. I felt the break off and reeled the line in and I noticed some white threads on the frayed of the leader. Then the other boats started drifting by. A buddy of mine from the North End Charter Fleet said my King probably turned into a Sandbar shark and that was what cut the rope.

Rigging the anchor to break free takes a couple of tries to get the length on the zip ties just right. Too long and they will break coming over the roller. Too short and they break with the anchor on the bottom. Once you figure it out, it works great.

My boat lives in Windmill Harbour. Life Support is her name. I'm on 14, 16, and 68. Give me a call. I'm not sure who Collin is; but, hey if he fishes, he can't be all that bad. LOL

It was kind for odd when I lost the anchor. I felt the break off and reeled the line in and I noticed some white threads on the frayed of the leader. Then the other boats started drifting by. A buddy of mine from the North End Charter Fleet said my King probably turned into a Sandbar shark and that was what cut the rope.

Rigging the anchor to break free takes a couple of tries to get the length on the zip ties just right. Too long and they will break coming over the roller. Too short and they break with the anchor on the bottom. Once you figure it out, it works great.

My boat lives in Windmill Harbour. Life Support is her name. I'm on 14, 16, and 68. Give me a call. I'm not sure who Collin is; but, hey if he fishes, he can't be all that bad. LOL
I own a slip in Windmill and lease it out. B30. I come in occasionally to catch Pinfish. Collins is Collins Doughtie who writes a weekly piece on fishing for the Island Packet. My boat is the RumRunner. I keep it in dry stack at the Boathouse when i leave HH for several months. Good luck!!

I own a slip in Windmill and lease it out. B30. I come in occasionally to catch Pinfish. Collins is Collins Doughtie who writes a weekly piece on fishing for the Island Packet. My boat is the RumRunner. I keep it in dry stack at the Boathouse when i leave HH for several months. Good luck!!

We are neighbors. B37 is the slip I own. There has been a lot of theft out of the Boathouse this year. I hope you weren't effected. I'll have to look Mr. Doughtie up.

We are neighbors. B37 is the slip I own. There has been a lot of theft out of the Boathouse this year. I hope you weren't effected. I'll have to look Mr. Doughtie up.
Yep...I’ve seen your boat. Very nice! I would sell that slip if you hear of anyone looking to get in. Jake says slips are tight now. Wexford is where i keep my boat most of the time.

Yep...I’ve seen your boat. Very nice! I would sell that slip if you hear of anyone looking to get in. Jake says slips are tight now. Wexford is where i keep my boat most of the time.

Thank you. If you're looking to sell quickly, you might want to get in touch with Lonnie Goulet. She was awesome when I was looking and eventually bought. The boat that is now in your slip was renting and his slip sold. Another next to him had the same happen. I'm glad I bought when I did. The prices are much higher now. I'll keep my ear to the dock (ground) and if I hear of anyone wanting to buy I'll send them your way.

Back