What are some good electronics to have

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith FDNY

Reaction score
Well i am just tring to find out whats some good electronics to have on board such as Radar,fishfinder color one,radio,and so on i dont want to go to crazy in price and are they easy to install or should i just have the pros do it?Thanks again and have Save and Happy New Year!!!!

If I was redoing my 2530, this is what I would put in her:

Furuno FCV-620 Fishfinder
Furuno 1623 15" Radar Dome
IC-M504VHF Marine Transceiver + COMMANDMICΙΙΙ
Northstar 6100i 8.4" Network GPS System
ACR GlobalFix 406 EPIRB - Category II

Several guys I know swear by the Garmin GPSs. Furuno seems to be to gold standard for Radars and Fishfinders.

I had similar electronics installed professionally when I bought the boat. Even though I am a do it yourselfer it was worth the money to have it installed by a pro.

Good luck.

heres what i would do if i were outfitting a new boat:

Furuno radar
Furuno gps
Furuno FF
Northstar gps/chartplotter
FLIR thermal imaging system (not terribly necessary, but the one toy i'd like to have)
2 Icom VHFs with Commandmic IIIs (Commandmics on dash, heads down below)
ACR Globalfix Epirb, manual activation, in ditch bag
Iridium satellite phone, in pelican box

in total, there is no doubt that this is expensive. but, seeing as all of these could some day get you home, summon help, or find a man overboard, it pays to bite the bullet and get the good stuff to start. you'll appreciate it in the long run.

Garmin Chartplotter 4208 or 4212 if you've got the room
Furuno 585 Fish Finder (or 620 if you don't have the room)
Icom VHF with digital antennae
mcmurdo fast find PLB epirb
Icom handheld vhf (the one that floats)
Radar? No opinion

Well thanks again on this!! the boat i am looking at has a Raymarine A65 let me know if thais is good or not!!!

BlueSky":2yd0wtsn said:
Several guys I know swear by the Garmin GPSs. Furuno seems to be to gold standard for Radars and Fishfinders.

I would agree with that opinion. :D
Still, marine electronics are a very personal thing. It all depends on your needs, your budget, and the amount of room you have at your helm.

Image-0B025C6E59B911DC.jpg

If I were doing it all over again, I would upgrade my Garmin 2010 chartplotter with the new 5212 touch screen model. I'd also upgrade the Furuno FCV600L with the newer 620 model.

I'd stick with my Icom VHF, but I'd upgrade the 502a to the newer 504. The VHF antenna is a Digital, which I wouldn't change.

Handheld VHF is a Uniden Voyager which is servicable... and the EPIRB is an ACR AquaFix 406 GPS Personal EPIRB with onboard GPS. Excellent insurance.

I don't have radar yet, but when I do, it'll be a Furuno 1932MK2 with a 3.5' open array. Someday... :)

Keith FDNY":fd5hk0lg said:
Well thanks again on this!! the boat i am looking at has a Raymarine A65 let me know if thais is good or not!!!

My father has the Ray C80 series and I have the Garmin 3010c. I much prefer the Garmin over the Ray. They Ray does have a higher definition fishfinder but the Garmin Plotter blows away the Ray. The Garmin fishfinder is not that bad either. (I only have fished depths up to 120'). I cannot comment on radar other than I had a an entry level furuno on my last boat that was not set up properly. I plan on adding the 4kw gmr18 to my Garmin in the spring

For seperate units, I would go garmin plotter and furuno fishfinder. I like the Ray stuff but the plotter not near the Garmins and Fishfinder falls short of furuno IMHO..

For VHF, I like Standard Horizon. Less expensive, more features, and better warranty than Icom. When I outfitted my boat the owner of BOE Marine talked me into the Standard and I have been more than pleased. Not sure if it is true but I am told most commercial harbor boats run Standard Horizon radios. (of course that could be internet rumor)

Keith, Don't overlook a particular boat based on its electronics.
All that stuff can be 'customized' at a later date if you get the boat you want at the right price.

Megabyte":1auwaeja said:
Keith, Don't overlook a particular boat based on its electronics.

Absolutely. Ray is good stuff no matter what other prefer. Yes I prefer my garmin to ray but the Ray makes a heck of unit that I am sure owners of the unit are more than pleased with its function.

Megabyte":2oye0n93 said:

Kev,

Since joining this board, I've seen a bunch of other 2520s and 2530s that have similar plotters to yours. However, most of them seem to be mounted on the left hand side with the Yammy gauges on the right. I remember my thinking was by putting the plotter on the right, that would allow you to always have one hand on the wheel (left) and still be able to easily reach the buttons w/ your right w/out having to reach across in front of the wheel.

Anyway, I was just curious if you are still happy with that layout?

gw204":1nqx50fj said:
Anyway, I was just curious if you are still happy with that layout?

Hell yes! I'm very happy with the helm as designed by a (formerly local) craftsman I know. :D
The updated layout looks 100% better than the original layout that came with the boat. :)

Image-BA237EA0931B11D8.jpg

Megabyte If I were doing it all over again said:
Kev, wish I knew you were interested in the Furuno 620. I would have pm'd you. It was 3 months old and I offered it for sale for $300.

Kevin,
My choices would be:
Northstar 6100i 8.5" screen GPS
Furuno 585 F/F with the B60-20 thru hull transducer
Furuno 1731 Mark 111 CRT radar
Icom VHS Mounted wit didgital antenna
Icom hand held
This is the list of items that I had installed on my boat and could not be happier with the performance or lay out.
Just my $0.02 worth.
What house are you in? I do a lot of work at the house in the 5 Boros.

Tom

Well i think you think Kevin works in Brooklyn but its not Kevin Its Keith that is on job in Brooklyn,but thanks for advive on these electronis and stuff everyone has been so helpful here with some much!!!

Lowrance X107C DF I've had it for a couple of seasons and it works great
Garmin GPSMap 76 C Works great, although you would be using it as a backup.
My Icom M45 has been in service for 5 years and works great, haven't had any problems.

Hey Tom... I have people call me Keith every day. :)
Keith is FDNY and I'm federal (DoD) in Maryland.

Back