What chartplotter/GPS/Radar/PC input should we get?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Reaction score
Well, my boss bought our '05 Parker, and it came with a pretty old Simrad CP/GPS/Sounder, but we'd like radar on it. We've got a Raymarine C120 system in out 26' landing craft. Its been a great system, but the charts are pretty poor inshore. Its still in the running, but we'd like to have a system that has an input on the LCD for a PC. We run custom navigation software for our survey work, and it would be nice to interface the survey laptop to the existing screen, instead of sticking the laptop in front of the captain like we currently do.

So, is there a chartplotter out there that will handle a radar, bottom machine, charts, AND has either a TV, VGA, or DVI input (the laptops have TV out)?

I know there are a lot of Furuno fans here, I'm partial to their radars myself. We've had a lot of luck with our Raymarine. I don't know much about the Lowrance or Garmin units.

Hi Sparky...

We have the Garmin 4212 network with the GMR 18 Radar. Check out the following link:

http://www.turtlemarine.com/garmingpsmap4212bundle.html

I also have a XM radio/weather subscription. The weather package allows you to see precipition/sea conditions/water temps etc in real time. I know everyone has their preferences but I have really enjoyed this set up. You just need to keep your unit updated with the latest software updates available through Garmin.com

Seaotter":46ee2ctd said:
Hi Sparky...

We have the Garmin 4212 network with the GMR 18 Radar. Check out the following link:

http://www.turtlemarine.com/garmingpsmap4212bundle.html

I also have a XM radio/weather subscription. The weather package allows you to see precipition/sea conditions/water temps etc in real time. I know everyone has their preferences but I have really enjoyed this set up. You just need to keep your unit updated with the latest software updates available through Garmin.com
I see that the monitor has a video-in, which we could hook our laptop up to. Have you ever tried that? Usually, video-in isn't as good as far as quality goes as a VGA in. Can you post any pictures of your system installed?
Thanks.

pelagic2530":154bqynb said:
like you said, Furuno fan. i believe both their NavNetvx2 and NavNet3d have video/computer inputs, but im not totally certain. if not, look at Northstar.
I just checked, and they accept RCA-in, and have DVI-out. Too bad, but thats the same as the Garmin, and given the choice, I'll go Furuno over anybody else.

I'll check with Northstar. Thanks.

Sparky,

Never tried the video hook up. For what it's worth, here's the pics:

Attachments

• Parker6.jpg
    Parker6.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Parker17.jpg
    Parker17.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 126
Here is a pic of a 5215 screen shot. Don't think I've seen any of the video output. Sorry.

Attachments

• Garmin display (Medium).jpg
    Garmin display (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 113
Thanks a lot. I'll have to go to my local dealer, and hook a laptop up to the video-in. Hopefully the quality is good enough that we can use if for our navigation software.

Back