What Does Everyone Do and How did you get into Boating?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
Saw this topic at THT and have seen it elsewhere. What do you guys do for a living and how did you get into boating/fishing?

I am an Army Civilian Information Assurance Officer. I guess I was born into boating and fishing because my dad was, and still is, avid about both!

I'm an old Army Intel LTC who had an assignment at the National Computer Security Center back when the "Ranbow Series" was created. My second career is as a Information Assurance Engineer (Computer/Network security).

Got into boating as a kid in the woodie (in my signature, and the source of my handle) my father built.

Worst time in my life was docking my new Parker (festooned with Army stickers) in Annapolis with a bunch of old Navy salts watching over me on the downwind side of a dock. You guessed it, I was a failure. Good news, is that this old Army Airborne Ranger recovered and is still into boating. :D :D :D

Hey rangerdog...how did you get your handle, and are you an old Army Ranger?

I was in the Army for 3 years 1972-1975, made E-5, turned down E-6, $12,000, and OCS to re-enlist, I kick myself in the A$$ for that mistake. I was in the 2nd ACR on the Iron Curtain, Czechoslovakian/ West German border. I commanded a Sheridan Tank.
I've been a Police Officer for the past 31 years.
We had a travel trailer. One year while RV'ing in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine the wife says, "I don't want the RV live style, I want a boating life style." I've sailed for 15 years, so we got a 30' sailboat. We must have sailed 40 days the first year, last year maybe 10. "The boat is too slow" she whined. So, I bought the Albin 27. Now it's "Holli doesn't have someone to go with her to play with." So, I'm selling the Albin, and buying a Parker, on a trailer, and I'M going BOATING/FISHING by MYSELF. They can stay home and have the homebody life style!

As you might guess from my avitar, I'm a career firefighter (federal, DAC).
I have been with my present department for 23 years, but I have been in the fire service, having served with a number of departments since July of 1969.

I came by my profession honestly... My dad was a Navy firefighter, adjunct instructor for the University of Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute, past Asst Chief of my hometown VFD, and retired with over 30 years of service as the chief investigator for the Maryland State Fire Marshals Office.

Coming from a Navy family of (eventually) 7 kids, we couldn't afford to own a boat, but we did fish! :wink: All my time on boats, prior to buying my first one later in life, consisted of OPB's (other peoples boats) as well as the boats we had at work. I spent the most recreation time on the water in my BIL's 17 Montauk. Maybe that is why my back has never been entirely right. :p
It is for those reasons that I have the lightest MM license the Coast Guard issues, a 25GT inland masters ticket with a towing endorsement.

Back when I was still raising my daughter, I bought an International Harvester Scout II and got heavilly into surf fishing the beaches of Delaware Seashore State Park and Assateague Island National Park in MD. That Scout was an absolute beast in the soft sugar sand of Assateague and it would go where other trucks feared to tread. :wink:

I sometimes can't believe that I now own my own boat (no more OPB's) and live in Annapolis these days. Hard work (and a little luck) does pay off eventually, and the fishing is much better! :)

I am a stockbroker. I do work in my home town after years of being a NYC commuting slave, and I have had the privilege of coaching my growing children for years in baseball, football, and most recently girl's softball. I love kids; hate grownups :D

I am actually now looking into opening a sports training facility that caters to youth in my area. Exploratory phase. The building, land, and field would be very expensive and I would have to be real creative to find a way to make it profitable with the price of real estate and insurance today....

I fished for perch using nightcrawlers from a small row boat in Highland Lake NJ in 1977. I bought my first grown up boat in 2000; an Ocean Kayak MalibuII. Since then I have bought and traded a 16' Whaler, a 19' Whaler, an 11' Whaler, a Bic Kayak, a 25' Parker SC, and most recently a 21' Parker SE. I love boats, and I really love Barnegat Bay; I think I can retire here too. I am learning fishing as I go along. I watch. I read BHWEB.com. Hopefully I will be able to little by little get it.

I'm the network engineer/administrator for a large non-profit foundation in DC. Done many other things including own and operate an air freight and delivery service, mechanic, motorcycle racer, auto sales and international courier.
I grew up in Kent County on MD's Eastern Shore, between Chestertown and Rockhall, we always had boats of one sort or another. Learned to swim and walk at the same time, could waterski at 6 yo. My uncle was a waterman and taught me a lot about fishin and crabbing.
Our family has always been of an outdoor nature and even though I no longer hunt, I am carrying on the tradition on the water.
I'm fortunate enough to live in a Bayside community just north of Deale, MD and get to at least see the Bay every day, whether I get out in the boat or not!

I own an IT firm near Boston. Dad was a lobsterman when I was born, and growing up I always had boats, fids, lobsters, no apologies to anyone for smelling a little like fish, and a deep, deep respect for all the awesome power that the ocean is capable of. Began diving with Dad when I was 13, and we now have my kids with us too. Early careers included Oceanographic assignments on Georges Bank, Offshore Oil Drilling Platforms, Emergency Oil Spill cleanup etc.

50+ years later, still live in the same spot, still have a deep appreciation and respect for the sea, have passed it on to a new generation, and still don't apologize to anyone if my boots smell like bait. I have a humble and no-nonsense relationship with the ocean: Get out there, get on with business, and get back in. Parker is the perfect boat to enable this relationship.

I am the Labor Relations Manager (H.R. Geek) for the largest open shop (non union) General Contractor in the United States. We build power plants, petro chemical plants, processing plants, as well as bridges, highways and other items of the nature. Our average project is excess of 750 million dollars and we have 47 in the field as I type.

I came to boating by birth. My father owned boats since before I was born. My earliest memories were of a 17' boat with twin 35 hp Scott Attwaters on it. My dad had a serious case of three foot itis and kept moving up in size until he had a 48' Hatteress. We always had a ski boat as well which I was allowed to operate at a very early age. At age ten I was give a 14' fihing boat with a 12 hp Elgin outboard which I ran every day.

I have personally bought and owned boats for over thirty-five years and curreently have a Parker WAC. My brother is also boater and has an Aquasport. He keeps his boat in Florida while mine is in Texas and we visit one another several times a year to fish together.

I also own a home in Costa Rica and have a 29' Striker there where we fish for marlin, tuna, dorado, wahoo, and sailfish. I hope to be able to retire to C.R. in the next five years.

I am an ear nose and throat surgeon, I practice in NYC. I've fished sporadically my whole life but never as much as I wanted to. I have fond memories of pier fishing with my dad, off boats with my late uncle and late father-in-law, on lakes as a BoyScout. However it was always a vacation or summertime experience.

Never had the time or $ for gear until I completed my medical training.

Then came fly fishing. I discovered an estuary 5 minutes from home. I fished whilst my family slept. Became frustrated as a shorebound angler and invested in a fishing kayak 4 years ago.

Always wanted a powered boat as long as I could remember. It was not until last fall that I bought it. A Parker of course!! She's a beaut!!! Well cared for by her previous owner. I have had a great time on the water with my boys. They are awesome mates and fishing buddies. We are building great memories trip by trip.

So you guys with late-model 21 SE's. Take good care of them for me I'll need one in a few years. :lol:

I come from an Immigrant family,I was born in Havana Cuba and my family came over in 1961,I was 7 years old at the time and we did not have a red cent to our names,lucky for us my father was a graduate of Penn State and he spoke some english,I got into boating after saving some money when I was 21 years old (now 53),always had boats from then on (Mako,Seacraft,Mc Kee Craft)until I found Parker,I own a 2300CC DV 2006 and love this boat,I mainly Spearifsh the Florida keys.I worked for a Shoe company which had 2000 employess as the Director of Product Development, Traveling to China until the Chinese took over that type of business and all shoe factories in USA closed,with my contacts made in China during all thos years I was able to start my own business importing shoes,cushions for furnitures which I sell to Target,Wal-Mart and the likes.

I'M fortunate to live in this great country and own a summer home in the Keys so that I can enjoy life and my Parker.

Robert Cibran

I'm 36 years old, I live in central Massachusetts and for the past 13 years I've been a patrolman in a neighboring town. I come from a large family of bankers and engineers. I followed in my fathers footsteps and went to business school and started dispatching part time. I enjoyed it so here I am. I'm currently studying for the upcoming Seargent's exam and I'm also attending graduate school at Curry College.

My buddy and I are avid Cape Cod canal fishermen. We started making our own plugs and we pour and tie our own jigs. Fishing is the only activity I do outside of work and it consumes everything I do. To date I have fished in Scotland, Wales, England, and Iceland.

I bought my first boat, a 18 foot Starcraft Mariner 7 years ago, and quickly upgraded to my 23SE. I got into boating as a way to relax and it gives me a place to get away from my girlfriend. My mother actually calls my boat my wife. It's actually kind of funny.

I am an Account manager for a Printing and Direct Mail company. (Call me for all your corporate printing and mailing needs :D ) We mostly serve non profits, ad agencies and corporations in the DC, Balt, Annapolis, NoVA area but have some national clients. I have done it for a little over 10 years now and will probably be here until I retire as we are an ESOP Company and have a vested interest in the company doing well. Then I will sell boats for fun.

I got into boating because my dad, my grandfather, and my great grandfather were into boating. I grew up with my Grandparents having a home on the water in Sea Isle City NJ and then my parents had a small place just off the island when my grandparents sold the home an bought a 43' trawler to cruise the Chesapeake. I spent my weekends Ocean fishing with my dad and water skiing. I also did a bunch of trips with my Grandparents cruising the Northern Chesapeake on their 43' LaBelle that was slipped on the Sassafrass River. I spent most my time on my fathers 1970 23' John Allmand that he owned for over 25 years but also time on my Grandfather's boats that I remember that included a 33 Silverton, 38' Pacemaker (with gas :shock: ), 19'6" Aquasport, as well as the LaBelle. We had numerous duck hunting boats as well before we decided that is was more fun and better eating chasing big bass than shooting ducks late in the fall. Once I chased my wife back to Annapolis after graduating from Coastal Carolina Univ. I had to have a boat to share the boating life with my wife and kids. Over the last 8 years I have had 3 boats, a 1997 Pro-line 231, a 1998 Pro-line 2950, and the May-craft.

Spent more time in the Navy than I should have. Seen the world (literally). Believe me, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE THE USA. Finished graduate school at the University of West FL and went into Civil Service eventually retiring from the Veterans Administration in St. Pete.

Spent more time at sea than on dry land, so being on the water is sort of in my blood. I love being way out there. By the way, if you exceed what conditions allow, all boats pound--even a 1000 ft aircraft carrier.

Life was kind of on hold while in the Navy. Women not allowed on carriers in my day. Got married a few years ago and now have a 1 year old daughter. Better late than never. Yes she's been fishing, so I think the boating thing will be passed on. Can't wait until she's old enough to help wash the boat.

jim

rangerdog":32qow4cm said:
Saw this topic at THT and have seen it elsewhere. What do you guys do for a living and how did you get into boating/fishing?

This is a little embarrassing :shock: ….here goes.

I’m a bagman. My father was a bagman and my parents were bag people. I live under bridges and sleep on park benches. One evening while combing the docks for a temporary residence, I came upon this Parker 2120. No one was home so I opened the cabin door, laid down, and took a few winks. I sleep there so often I now consider the boat to be mine.
My hobbies are picking up discarded cigarette butts and old cigar stubs to smoke and I like to climb into those goodwill bins to find clothing. By the way, the bins also make good shelter.
Well I have to go it’s fish night. I hear the rear door of the restaurant rattling and the cook tossing out those gourmet fish heads. I have to hurry so I can beat the cats to the chow.

I'm retired now since July/01.I was a NYC fireman and worked in Brooklyn.(Ladder Co 132)I retired 6 weeks before 9/11 (Lucky John)
I was born and raised in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn.I've been fishing since I was 5.I worked on the fishing boats in the Bay growing up.I'm trying to make lost time now for the many years I missed fishing while rasing a family and having no extra time.

I was born and raised on the BARNEGAT_BAY , my grand-father ran a marina. I was lucky enough to get my first boat (13 whaler) when i was twelve and have had many boats since then, some junk, (read cheap) lots of whalers, and curently the fabled 2330. I am in the car biz, Wholesale manager for multi-line car dealership in BUCKS county PA. In fact ive been in the car biz in one form or the other since 1980 I am in my mid 40s and hope to relocate back "down the shore" sometime in the next couple of years and apply the skills i have gathered in the automotive world to the boating biz maybe managing a marina or something along those lines . You only live once,getting paid to do what you love to do, is my goal. "TAKE ALOOK AT THIS LITTLE CREAM-PUFF ONLY DRIVEN TO THE CANYON ON SUNDAYS" :D
CAPT.GUY

Porkchunker":amjwffns said:
I'm an old Army Intel LTC who had an assignment at the National Computer Security Center back when the "Ranbow Series" was created. My second career is as a Information Assurance Engineer (Computer/Network security).

Got into boating as a kid in the woodie (in my signature, and the source of my handle) my father built.

Worst time in my life was docking my new Parker (festooned with Army stickers) in Annapolis with a bunch of old Navy salts watching over me on the downwind side of a dock. You guessed it, I was a failure. Good news, is that this old Army Airborne Ranger recovered and is still into boating. :D :D :D

Hey rangerdog...how did you get your handle, and are you an old Army Ranger?

No. I was active duty Air Force back when we wore kakies and were just finishing up the fiasco also known as the South East Asia Wargames (Second Place). I did spend GW1 in theater and a good portion of ODF/OEF deployed as a DOD civilian.

The real life Ranger Dog is a Fox Hound; we had to put him down last summer. Had him for many, many years. He never was the gun dog I wanted him to be but still.... :cry:

rascal.jpg

Boats......My history, I guess. Dad and I salvaged and restored an old wooden jon boat that we fished the then newly flooded Santee Cooper. Later he upgraded to a Sears Jon boat. The first big boat he had was an early sixties 24 foot Chris Craft, a Sea Skiff if memory serves. A wooden work horse that required a lot of work but provided many fun hours of floundering in the lower bay. After I left home he bought a 24 foot Aquasport Cuddy that had been completely rigged for tournament fishing as an Aquasport Sponsored boat. I got home every chance I could to fish with him in the middle bay. Back then there were HUGE bluefish; 10-12 pounders were almost a by-catch!

I got a 24 foot wooden lap strake Grady White as a project boat soon after we were married but I ran out of time and money and sold her to the people who bought my house back then. I have no idea what happened to her as I spent the next four years in Saudi Arabia. My first "real" boat was a small tri-hull MFG that I put a 25 HP Gamefisher on. After a few years and my boy was able to go out with me I upgraded to a larger aluminum V bottom Jon and kept that same motor. In 1996 I bought a boat show special Mon-Arc Bass boat that I still have, and finally, when the kids were all done with school I got the Parker.

CPA

Boated casually as a child, nothing significant. Always spent time at the beach whenever possible growing up. My mother's family was from Wilmington NC. and we spent summers there going to Wrightsville beach with "Bubba" (my grandmother). She taught me all about pier fishing on Johnny Mercer's pier.

My love for the shore has grown significantly as I age and I attribute that to my heritage and I hope to retire near the ocean as soon as I can.

Salt air is thick and once on you becomes a part of you never to leave again.

My great grandfather, James William Craig, was a Confederate pilot of blockade runners in the Civil War from Wilmington to Southport. He was pilot of the Runner "Lynx" in 1863 which was attacked and sank off the NC coast. He was captured and spent the rest of the war at Port Frederick, Md POW camp. I have the original POW release from that camp in 1865 where he signed a sworn oath to honor the US constitution before his release to come back to NC.

He then piloted ships for the Sprunt family who were large cotton dealers in Wilmington. He also owned a two masted schooner the "Rosa Scarboro" for which I have the original title to the vessel, problem is the ship is on the bottom of the Cape Fear River somewhere.

He later became an ordained Methodist minister and founded 5th Avenue Methodist Church in Wilmington.

While I never knew him I know he is a part of me and I attribute my love of the ocean to him. I have been fortunate during the last several years to own a home near Swansboro NC. I own a 23SE which I love, perfect for my boating and fishing needs. I have also been able to introduce my son to the life around salt water and while he is now 18 and beginning his life's journey I know in my heart he will return to the sea whenever he can. My two girls are grown and now live in Charleston, SC. What attracted them there was the need to be near the water.

It is most definitley something that gets in your blood and never leaves.

Back