What does this mean?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
The technician who commissioned my boat reported "Fuel bowls on engines need to be replaced due to distortion from ethanol in gasoline." What does this mean? Is it possible that ethanol could be the cause? Any thoughts on how difficult this is to repair? And the engines are still under warrantee. Would this be covered? Is this something that needs to be repaired ASAP?

I do plan on talking to him tomorrow, but wanted to get some independent info first.

Thanks

I'd guess that the O-Rings swelled due to ethanol, which means your fuel source may be suspect, as Viton and/or EPDM fluoropolymer elastomers are suspect to ethanol issues ... when the percent exposed to is > 10%. Or, to put it another way, most of the materials in OBs are only "rated" to 10%, but cars are rated to 20% ethanol formulations and in some places, e85 (85%!) grades are used!

I have ZERO ideas how they can get it to work on cars, but not boats, less marine fuel systems are not a closed vent system ... but not sure if that mean anything at all ...

Keep an eye on your fuel pump, as they're usually the 1st component susceptible to excess alcohol.

Just a guess here but is this a reputable mechanic??

To my knowledge, and I'm just a shadetree mechanic, there are no fuel bowls on fuel injected engines, that is a term that comes from carburetors.

He may be trying to pull a fast one, just sayin'.

I would be interested to hear what he says, he might be refering to the fuel filters under the cowling as was suggested before.

Do you have the clear bowl Racor filters? If so, I bet he means the bowls on those...

gw204":34yg8rv3 said:
Do you have the clear bowl Racor filters? If so, I bet he means the bowls on those...

I thought the same thing but it says "fuel bowls on engines"

Bad bill, I bet most people don't read them anyway because they don't know what they mean.

I have no idea. LOL :mrgreen:

I am guessing he means the clear fuel filter/water seperator with the red ring in it mounted on the engine. Pulled ours off last year and could not one back on-the ethanol warped the plastic. Tried putting in freezer for a while, but still could not get it on.

Wound up buying a new one-don't remember the exact price but it was inexpensive and much easier than trying to fight with it and possible running threads etc.

What got_em_on said. My Yammie 200 HPDI has a plastic bowl under the cowling to hold the fuel filter. There is a known issue with that bowl changing size and being difficult to put back on. Some people are able to put it in the freezer and then quickly putting it back on. I forced my on after replacing the filter, but air was getting into the fuel. My mechanic was able to machine it down and get it back on right without buying a new part.

Gary

Yes, he was talking about the fuel filter bowl under the cowling. He said the bowl had distorted and was difficult to get back on. He was able to do it securely, but recommended that it be replaced in the Fall or next Spring.

Thanks to everyone here for your replies and help.

Back