What's the best way to lubrictate the wheel shaft?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Mine makes squeaking, grinding noises. Any tips that don't involve removing the entire steering assembly?

Attachments

• Parker Wheel Shaft Depth Is it tapered (Small).JPG
    Parker Wheel Shaft Depth Is it tapered (Small).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 359
do you know what kind of steering you have?

I didn't until yesterday. If you have a Teleflex mechanical system, it seems to me you cannot really lube the shaft without taking it apart. It may not actually be the shaft that is grinding/squeeking, it may be the gears inside the helm.

I might be that your cable needs lubing, (specifically the 6 or so inches that extrude from the helm unit (under the dash) Again, if it is a Teleflex, you have a plastic slide (tube) on the non cable end of he helm. It shoudl screw off, and expose the cable. You my find that lubing that cable frees up the grinding shaft.

Depending on how old the system is, might be time to drop $180 and replace the helm unit/cable.

If it is not a teleflex (or teleflex style), ignore above.

chris

Mine makes noise too. Interested in hearing how you can fix this small annoyance

This has been something I've been meaning to look into myself! The wheel makes a bit of noise when turned and it bothers me :roll:

Thankfully the boat sits in my driveway this winter and I get to tinker with her whenever I want! I

OK. Silicone was the correct answer for my case. I took the cap of the wheel off so I could slip the straw straight through and spray around all points of the shaft. A few spins of the wheel and not a sound.

THANKS!

Back