Where to install swivel rod holders ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Where would you place two 0 degree swivel rod holders ? They will be used with 130 bent butt gear for giant bluefin tuna while anchored. I'm thinking at the stern corners right behind the cleats. Anyone with experience recommend a better spot ? Boat is a 2009 2520 SL . Thanks.

Image here : http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishin ... ost5495261

I'm looking to do the same project, but mine will be for towing a planer rod, doubt I will tangle with a GBFT.

I was going to put them just forward of the stern gunnel cleats so I could tie it into the supports.

You have the open transom though, so the stern coners might work for you.

Since you also have the aft station, I would also put one up there for those days you might be single handed. :D

Something like a #16 planer, running at ~7 knots pulls like a MoFo. Probably 45lbs or so.

Fishing for Giant Tuna from a stationary rod, you will need to put about the same pressure on these fish. (or have them come to the boat pre-cooked :wink: )

Either way, I'd put some very good support underneath. If you can get an alumimum plate, to distribute the load under a wide part of the gunnel, that might be a good option.

Stern corners that way you can clear the engines and will have a wider arc to work the fish then if you had them up on the side

I place mine in between the other ones. The swivel rod holders come with plates for the backing. Also added one up front were the anchor goes. Might want to add a jim pole to, it stinks to be drging a fish back going 5 mph it will take forever to get back.

Attachments

• TUNA ROD HOLDER 3 (640x480).jpg
    TUNA ROD HOLDER 3 (640x480).jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 456
  • BOAT ROD HOLDER (640x480).jpg
    BOAT ROD HOLDER (640x480).jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 459
  • JIM POLE (640x480).jpg
    JIM POLE (640x480).jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 456
Mine are just forward of the stern cleat hawse pipes and I used 3/4" of HDPE for backing plates. So they are on the stern quarter, NOT the extreme corners.

Not on watching Wicked Tuna, once they have the fish 'sorta under control' (not truly control until they are In the boat ;) ) you see them move the rods forward from the stern quarter to the almost amidship position. This is for fighting them in the death spiral - if they're turning left, you get the boat into a slow right turn ... doing opposite of the fish, which pulls the line across their line of flight, so it adds more stress to best the fish.

>>They will be used with 130 bent butt gear for giant bluefin tuna while anchored.
I hope you don't mean you will be fighting the giant while anchored. If so, you are greatly underestimating the difficulty of landing a giant. It would be like fighting Mike Tyson with one hand tied behind your back.

My setup is almost exactly like Bailout's right down to the design and location of the "stripper" pole... You should have at least 4 so you can move the rod around depending on how the fish behaves. The stern holder is good for the beginning fight but as the fish comes closer to the boat, it will always try to go under the boat to break you off--giants don't become giants by being stupid... If the rod is at the stern, there is a good chance that it will go under the stern of the boat which is where the prop(s), trim tabs, and pock-marked zincs are. If the rod is forward, when the fish go under the boat the sides are nice and smooth...

Seems like we have a few giant tuna fishermen on here. Maybe we should start a Parker giant tuna club...

Attachments

• Img_0252npic.JPG
    Img_0252npic.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 428
Anybody want to teach/ show me how to fish for tuna. :mrgreen:

You will find that having only two will be frustrating when the balloons begin to "walk" around. 6 is ideal, with two on the stern.

My buddy has five. Two in the stern NEAR the aft quarter, but not directly on the corner, two more mid cockpit, and one in the bow. Granted, it is a center console with great bow access, but we use the bow a lot when chasing down BFT.

As for a gin pole, good idea if you are expecting anything over 200 lbs on a regular basis.

The other comment about fighting while anchored is also spot on. You need to throw off your anchor IMMEDIATELY if you get a good sized tuna or it can and will spool you. A simple anchor ball setup is a necessity. What we notice on wicked tuna is that the relative lack of maneuverability with a single fixed screw leads to a lot of lost fish at the boat. Much easier to circle with an outboard setup. Keeps the line away from the boat!

If you do watch wicked tuna, they use a motor driven hoist for both the anchor and bringing the big boys on board. Unless fishing a lot, that is a bit much. But a hand crank version would be helpful.

Do most lag screw the gin pole to hoist the fish or are they through bolted with a plate? If through bolted, what is the best way to access the bolts?

Gin poles I've seen are screwed into the deck and through bolted to the gunwhale or cabin sides. the two points of contact minimize the pressure on the deck screws.

also, for picking up an anchor on the ball without a mechanized hoist, there's a pretty simple method using a line with a carabiner, the boats speed, and the drag of the ball in the water to lif the anchor. You can find it on youtube. We use the same method to quickly pick up racing marks for sailing races.

Back