Which Octane Fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmayjr

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,
I own a 2004 200 HPDI Yamaha. I have been hearing conflicting stories about which octane to use. I moor my boat at Mt. Sinai Harbor on Long Island, and have access to ValveTech high octane fuel @ Ralphs Fishing Station. Last year I ran 87 Octane with no problems. I was told by another mechanic I know that the lower octane fuel can cause overheating in the cylinder causing the cylinder to fail. What are your thoughts on this? Also, what brand of fuel? Thanks.
Tom

You don't need valvetect. Yamahas are designed to run on 87 RON fuel. Valve tect is not so much a scam as to fill a need for older GAS ENGINED inboards- which are a dying breed- and NOTHING TO RECOMMEND THEM...

Some marinas only carry 89 octane, so I have used both 87 and 89 in my 225 OX66 over time, without issue.

My preference is to use 87 octane fuel run through a 10 micron fuel/water separator, and I always use Ringfree at a rate of 1 oz per each 10 gal of fuel.

It's been working well for me. :)

Why don't people READ the owner's manual to determine the proper octane for their engine? I guess people on the internet know more than the engineers and manufacturers of the engines.

Most outboards today are designed to run on 87 octane. Any greatrer octane is simply a waste of money but if 89 is what is available rather than 87 run it. If you READ the damn manul it will tell you this.

JWL":fipdzn7d said:
If you READ the damn manul it will tell you this.

While this is great advice, it may not always apply. Maybe I didn't get an outboard owner's manual when I bought my used boat. Or maybe fuel grades or formulations have changed since they published the manual. Sure we'll all check the manual if we have one, but maybe it's a good thing I can throw the question out to a few hundred seasoned Parker/Yamaha owners here on ClassicParker and see what they think..

Afterall,, we have to pass the time somehow until Spring! 8) Otherwise we'd all have to go back to work, or read the Seed Catalogue or something :shock:

Hello Kevin,
Thanks for the information on the 10 micro filter, and Ringfree. My Yamaha mechanic did mention that 87 octane is sufficient, and 89 if that was all that was available. Now for the twist, I have a 1990 115 hp Johnson outboard I use for my clam boat. My OMC mechanic (different than the Yamaha mechanic, and also a Suzuki dealer) mentioned the higher octane fuel. In my conversation with him I referred to outboard motors in general. I don't have the heart to tell him that I purchased a Yamaha motor (although Parker only outfits their boats with Yamaha's). I know the OMC mechanic for over 30 years.
When I hear things I listen, and ask questions. Experience being the best teacher, I ask a lot of questions. I recall a Chrysler Minivan's owners manual calling for a heavier weight motor oil which led to a lot of problems. My thought was that maybe Yamaha would not want to admit to a mistake on octane, as it might cost them in the millions. My reason for throwing the question out there, was that I had a conversation with an oil burner mechanic, who had a customer who was a commercial fisherman. He told me that the commercial fisherman was blowing up outboards, and switched to higher octane fuel. After which his problems were solved. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! Thanks for the help.
Tom

Yamaha states in their owners manual (2002 F200) that 87RON E10 fuel is OK. I had a chat with the guys a Shorts Marine and they are telling me that pump-grade fuel 87RON is now E15 in Delaware. say it ain't so...
This change , if true will force alot of guys into new motors. Pity the guys withthe older FIBERGLASS TANKS...Comments?!

The older fiberglass tanks are on boats like the Bertrams, and those folks are well informed.
The newer boats with fiberglass tanks include the Yellowfins with the integral fuel tanks.
Not sure how the YF's are fairing, but if I owned one, I'd be nervous. :shock:

For us Parker owners, our tanks are aluminum, so other than cleaning the gunk out of them (by the ethanol), we should be OK.

Just make sure that you install a 10 micron filter, and change it regularly! :wink:

Image-5C4B263D4F5411DB.jpg

Back