White painted/powdercoated screws

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
I have a 2015 2520 XLD. All the trim, door frames etc Parker used white/powder coated screws and machine bolts. I think this was a bad choice vs plain stainless. After second season I replaced all of the deck screws holding the trim around bait well etc as most kept bleeding thru. Replaced with stainless and problem solved. Now have to remove and replace all these screws in cabin on seat frames,hatches etc. Same thing with the fabric chosen for cushions. The ones that came with my model year are a grey canvas type and they promote mold growth. Every season I have to spray with concentrated bleach, I am ready to get new covers made but annoys me as boat is now only 4 yrs old.

One of my pet peeves is bleeding rust stains dripping on my boat

I’ve replaced a lot of those screws as well because of the same issue. Some of the screws I was able to peel the coating off and reuse. It might look good when it leaves the factory, but it wasn’t a good idea (along with the plastic cup/rod holders). Boat has been great otherwise.

Hey LJ.

Mine is a 2016. No problems with cushions but have the same white hardware. Seems that some will tend to rust and some don't. I pull the rusty ones out and replace with new stainless. I rough up the head surface and paint them with a can of Suzuki white lower unit paint, re-caulk and reinstall. Probably a never ending issue but that's what I do. I will not tolerate rusty anything. lol

I ordered 2 boxes of stainless bolts and going to change them all out. Like you said it becomes a never ending problem as some bleed/rust some do not. I am going to get a price on changing fabric on cushions this week. I imagine if I went towards a vinyl cover that would eliminate future mold growth. If the cost is excessive I will give it another blast of bleach and live with it. We did have a very hot summer here.

Yea.....But what series stainless screws did you order?

If it just says stainless.....they are probably 8/18 or 304 series. These will bleed.

You want 316 series stainless.

Another thing that helps......."Tef - Gel"

00002695.jpg

Yep I got the 316 stainless today. I did one frame under the seat and used white boat life caulk after I cleaned rust and dirt. I am just going to do the hatch frames under seats and switch 4-5 white screws on starboard side where the frame is bolted together, this way everything still looks uniform. Cleaned up a few other screws on trim, tedious chore but hate rust drips.

Back