who has an auto pilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pork chop

Reaction score
who has an auto pilot,and what kind do you have ? i think i want to get an auto pilot,is it a worth while addition ?

I have the Apelco smart pilot for cable steering on my 21SE. Works very well although I'm not sure it's avilable any more. It's really handy for me because I fish by myself a lot and can use it trolling while I set lines or reel in a fish. Also, it steers a better course running offshore than I can (it pays attention all the time and I don't). It's well worth the money I paid for it. I bought it used from a friend who switched to hydraulic steering and he bought the hydraulic version.

I have one on my 2510 (Raymarine ST6001SG). After a Chartplotter and Radar, it's the most valuable piece of equipment I have. It is like an extra crew member who pays attention and keeps a straight course while trolling, but also at night and in a fog.

I definately recommend one.

I don't have one yet but WILL be adding one. I see it as a valuable addition in 2 ways. 1) Gives me a break on those 200 mile roundtrips. 2) I can't always find guys to go fishing with so I would like to do some trolling when solo. Problem is, navigating and tending to lines. AP solves that for me.

Of all the research I have done, the most cost effective AP that would work for your boat would be the S1000, priced at about $950. Mixed reviews but if what you want is something that will get you from point A to point B, it should work fine.

I am probably going to wind up with the new Raymarine X5 Sport Drive. A little better suited for my 2520 and price will come in around $1800.

Waiting for the units to hit the dealers....

Attachments

• SmartPilot-X-Series_brochure.pdf
    210 KB · Views: 47
Raymarine Smart Pilot Series for E120 (Chart, Radar, XM, Weather Sat). Had a problem with it coming home from an offshore tripa couple of months ago. It would lose its calibration and bearing. Raymarine fixed it no charge even out of 1 year warranty. Only problem I have ever had. Works like a dream and holds quite true to purpose.

I can't imagine not having one. Being able to let go of the wheel to help rig lines and stuff like that is invaluable. I take a lot of people that I have to help out and it really has paid for itself. Not to mention it's much safer to navigate, when you can pay more attention to what may be in your path then trying to stay on your path.

Yep, I love my autopilot and I'd pay twice as much if I had to. Mines a Furuno and I have nothing but good to say about it, but there are a few others that are very good also. It just comes down to what you want. I wouldn't go cheap, a poor quality AP is just a headache and can be dangerous. You don't have to go crazy either, just do some research and get one that fits your needs.

Must have. I have the Raymarine S1000 works awesome. Good value and has a wireless remote. Like the fishing modes but rarely get to use them due to other boat traffic.

How is the pump noise on the less expensive RM AP?
I had a RM rep tell me the wireless AP is noisy and not very good.
Yet, most people that have them say they work great.
Just curious as I would love to install one in my Parker.

TunaJoe":1n2hou77 said:
How is the pump noise on the less expensive RM AP?
I had a RM rep tell me the wireless AP is noisy and not very good.
Yet, most people that have them say they work great.
Just curious as I would love to install one in my Parker.

It is noisy. But not any different than the high dollar ST series I had on my previous boat because it used the same pump.

If noise is an issue you can mount it anywhere in the hydraulic lines you want. I considered mounting mine in the stern compartment but decided it wasn't worth the time and aggravation extending the wires and removing the hydro lines to have the tees crimped in. I added a piece of poly board and used large isolators making an isolated mounting board in the helm compartment. Along with the isolators that came on the pump and it is not that bad. Barely can hear it over the 4 stroke engine. Besides I like being able to hear it in case it decides to quit working (has not happened yet). Wireless was important to me and adding it to the ST system was not worth it to me. The remote alone is $460.00 :shock: or the upgraded one for $575.00 :shock: :shock: No Thanks. I mainly use the autopilot for trolling and like it around my neck for quick activation and deactivation while taking over from the rear station. In my eyes the autopilot is like replacing two crew members because it drives, puts me in the back setting rods and allows me to reel a fish in. In my opinion the new sport series looks like it was designed for cable steering and is an eye sore under the wheel. I will deal with a little noise and use my savings for more fishing gear :wink:

i have the raymarine st1000 i believe. works like a charm every time! besides for using it when cruising the 50 miles out to the tuna grounds, its nice when its just me and my dad fishing, so i dont have to put out the spread alone. just set it on a course and keep a look out and we're setting up the spread in half the time.

worth every penny

Must have... Raymarine is great, but I have problems with the ST1000 that I have documented on this board. You get what you pay for...

Not to be a wet blanket, but I hope you guys talking about trolling and tending lines when you're alone are wearing survival suits and EPIRBs. If you fall in, that auto pilot will just auto pilot your boat away from you... :shock:

I have Furuno systems on Empty Pockets.

I added a Furuno 511OB Auto Pilot.

I am very pleased with the accuracy and ease of use.

It is slaved to two Furuno MFD's. Capt. 'Otto' Pilot is mounted below the 4 round engine gauges.

IMGP1229.jpg

Kevin G.

I have a Simrad AP16 on my boat and it just rocks. I also have the Bluetooth remote with it. One thing to think about with an auto pilot is the need for a sensor on the steering arm to tell the system where the motors are pointing. With my Simrad unit you can get a virtual feedback system that uses a gyro compass to tell the unit the direction of the boat.
My two cents.

Good points fuellevellow,

My Furuno Auto Pilot is installed with a steering sensor, also mounted on the steering arm.

The unit also came with its own Gyrocompass and Nav Computer.

What can you do with a Blue Tooth connection to your AP?

Download/Upload stuff?

Cool! :shock:

Kevin G.

Sow&Pigs":2sd97q74 said:
Not to be a wet blanket, but I hope you guys talking about trolling and tending lines when you're alone are wearing survival suits and EPIRBs. If you fall in, that auto pilot will just auto pilot your boat away from you... :shock:

I wear the remote around my neck to the auto pilot so if I fall overboard I will steer the boat back to me. Ha Ha :wink:

:shock: good point. I never troll alone.

That’s why I went from big game hunting to fishing. Fishing is more of a group sport. I love sharing good times with good friends and family. That’s what memories are made of. I have little desire to troll alone.:D

Attachments

• Pop & Dupe.jpg
    Pop & Dupe.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,082
I have question about AP operation in the fishing pattern modes.

Where does the pattern start? For example, if you select the figure eight mode, where does the pattern start? In the middle of the 'eight' ? At the bottom?

On mine it starts in the center going up to the port. On all patterns mine goes to port first. I am not a big fan of patterns unless you are alone as in crowded traffic they are useless. The main one I use is the zig zag on ledges.

Back