Who has ever had to be towed in?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
I can think of once in my entire life. It was on my dad's boat and he threw a gimble bearing. Good thing is we made it back to about 2 miles off the beach after being ~30miles offshore.

I had a 1997 merc 225 act funny one me once but I was able to get home. It turned out to just need a new stator.

When I had my most engine troubles I had twin 350 Chevy blocks and one always got me home.

I ran out of gas about 200 yards from the landing. I had a 14' Glastron and (believe it or not) a 70 Merc. Boy, would that thing run. Anyways, I put the bow line in my teeth, and "swam" it in.

Does that count as a tow?

Gee,
How funny that there is a post about being towed in, starting with B-Faithful and the mention of MERC, then, the follow up post by FishFactory... and the words "Go Figure" or something Merc related didn't come up... wow, you guys must be drunk tonight.

I figured there would be some immediate mud slingin happening here... that's all I have to say... Wow!

Fish and I dont mudsling.... We just have fun. Our jabs are all in good heart. This isnt THT :shock: Besides, i cannot wait to take him fishing up here. I want his ears to ring for days :p

Fish, I will say what the hell were you thinking with a 70 on a 14' glasstron. My father had one and the max hp was 40hp (of course my father's had a 50hp :p )

UnWired":16lecall said:
Gee,
How funny that there is a post about being towed in, starting with B-Faithful and the mention of MERC, then, the follow up post by FishFactory... and the words "Go Figure" or something Merc related didn't come up... wow, you guys must be drunk tonight.

I figured there would be some immediate mud slingin happening here... that's all I have to say... Wow!

:lol: Isn't it kinda ironic that a (Wide Stance) Merc Guy should bring up towing? :shock:

B-Faithful":2agqlvt9 said:
Fish, I will say what the hell were you thinking with a 70 on a 14' glasstron. :p )

I had a 70 on my Glastron because there was a rumor of a smart a... Yankee with a 50HP on his Glastron. :lol:

Wide open it would bring tears to my eyes. Hull ran on one side due to motor torque.

I'll gladly accept the Chesapeake fishing trip. I have ear plugs, thank you. I think breakfast on the Chesapeake would be great, do you have the Merc/Toaster option?

but first...

it's time...

(Oct 4-6)...

for...

THE US OPEN :!: :!: :!:

featuring 38' Yellowfins, and Fountains w/quads :shock: and...

one 23DVCC Parker w/single :roll:

COME ON DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

500 boats...

$100,000 cash payout...

$10,000 first place...

plus $10,000 extra if you break the state record (82#)

Man! I would love to. I have never caught a king. (I spent most my life fishing off of NJ) However, I am using my get out of jail cards for a trip to the cape may rips with my dad in late Oct., a tournament on Nov 10 on the ches bay (with a friendly yam owner who loves Mercs :p ) and my CBBT trip on Dec 1&2...

Good luck, I will split the winnings with you though :lol:

Knock on wood never been towed in 30 years,yet I have towed my
share towed one guy 11 mile w/ a merc125 tracker

We broke down 4 years ago on our way from Freeport, L.I. to Montauk, L.I. We were 15 miles south of Moriches Inlet and the Risers over-heated.

We had to wait 3 hours for the boat to arive on scene and then another 3 hours to tow us into a marina.

It was my fault as the risers were over due for replacement but I thought I would get one more season. When then pulled the risers, they were 80% blocked.

rangerdog":20hyqugi said:
Rangerdog ducks in the thread and looks around for Kevin. No show yet! :lol:

How did I miss this thread? :shock:

Yes kids... I have been towed twice.
The first time was in the spring of 2004, one week after splashing my new-to-me purchase for the first time. :(

I took some neighbors out for a creek crawl / happy hour, and when I got ready to leave, she would crank, but wouldn't start. :?
Towboat Reliant took me home.

Image-D10EE390AD2411D8.jpg

The problem? A bad 02 sensor and a dirty fuel system. :evil:
Now you know why I'm such a proponent of adding Ringfree, StarTron, and Stabil to my fuel at every fill-up.

The second time I was towed was the following spring, and was totally my fault.
I was trying to use the fuel up in one of my wing tanks and knew it was low... I just didn't know how low.

5 minutes after jumping on plane and entering the Bay, the motor died.
No problem... I hustle back to the transom and twist the 3-way valve to the center position to switch to the main tank.

Image-5C4C86B44F5411DB.jpg

Long story short, the motor won't refire and Towboat Rescue takes me home. :(
All the way back to the dock I'm trying to figure how I'm going to finance a new motor. :cry:

Cause?
See that 3-way valve in the photo? It's actually a 4-way valve.
Starboard - Main - Port - OFF!

Move that handle so that the paddle is facing the inside of the boat (which can be done if you're in a hurry), and it shuts the fuel system OFF. :evil:

The lessons we learn... :roll:

Only recent time I remember is coming in to Ocean City 2 years ago in my Dad's Luhrs. We hit a submerged "something" 11 miles off the beach, sheared off the end of a shaft and lost a prop. That was not fun. :(

Back