Wide open throttle rpm

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NormanM

Reaction score
What should the WOT rpm be for 225Yamaha , 2004, four stroke on a Parker 2520? I am having a sea trial on such a vessel next week that I am hoping to purchase.
Thank you,
NormanM

What should the WOT rpm be for 225Yamaha , 2004, four stroke on a Parker 2520? I am having a sea trial on such a vessel next week that I am hoping to purchase.
Thank you,
NormanM
It will depend on the prop...
Ideally, correctly "propped" it should be hitting 5,500-6,000 at WOT. But, if we are talking 18yo engine/boat (what are the hours?), there could be a lot of additional factors.

It SHOULD be as near to 6000 as possible, regardless of prop. You prop to achieve 6000 IOW. If it spun to 6000, I would be a happy camper! If WOT only attains 5000 rpm, that motor has been lugging along over propped. Plus it is in the years plagued by the exhaust corrosion (I have no experience on the topic, but it is WELL documented) and should be addressed by the price, or proof it has been remediated. I am sure you are aware of that issue, though.
Good luck!

Reactions: Efx
Thank you,
NormanM

My Mod-V 2520 had a F225 on it for 12 years. If the boat is empty, 2 guys and 1/2 a tank of fuel, it’s not horribly underpowered but when you load with 3-4 guys, full tank of fuel and some fishing gear, it really becomes a dog. I’d bet 90% of single F225s on Parker 2520s are over propped. I ran my boat heavy all the time and the engine frequently struggled. Eventually I put a T-13 15 3/4 propeller on it. That was the only way I could get the boat to stay reliably on plane in choppy seas and the engine to hit 5500 RPMs at WOT with full fuel tank and a fishing or diving load.

If your testing the boat and the tank is not full and the boat is empty, with just you and the owner and it’s struggling to make 5500 RPM, you will be over propped with full fuel, coolers etc.

You can run Mod-V 2520 with an F225. I had a lot of great times in the open ocean when the F225 was on my boat but it’s really not enough engine for that boat and as I said, most F225s on 2520s are over propped.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 2520 xl w/f225 with 1100 hours. On a flat calm day with perfect trim, I can get up to 5600 rpm - never get anything higher and if the seas are bad etc max RPM can drop to around 5200.

As already said 225 is not enough power in real world conditions for that boat. I’m running a yami 300 on a 2300 dv and that feels like the right power for that boat. I can’t imagine a 225 on the boat you are looking at.

As already said 225 is not enough power in real world conditions for that boat. I’m running a yami 300 on a 2300 dv and that feels like the right power for that boat. I can’t imagine a 225 on the boat you are looking at.

I'm running a 2520XLD with twin 200s. Very happy.

Back