Will somebody please TELL ME????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisn

Reaction score
I hate to keep harping on this, but I feel I must as a Parker owner. What is up with the 3420?? I mean can people who have been around qaulity boats really muster up enough courage to say that this boat is worth the price?? Unfinished and unsupported seat backs, exposed screws and nuts, awful interior colors, pointless dinette, side facing bench seats, etc... I see nothing about this boat that says give me the rough seas except maybe its shear size!! I would however love to see somebody hold on for dear life in that bench seat in bad weather!! :lol: Somebody even had the audacity to claim that it would be a great family bay boat!! I mean come on I love my 25XLD, but I see nothing about this boat that draws me to it except cockpit size and .....well that is about it. There must be more to this then I am seeing. So please DARE to tell me what!!

technically i would have to say this 34 from parker would compete with the 35 grady express and that boat is alot more than this one. That being said it still is a 34 foot boat and youre right nobody would be very comfortable sitting at the dinnette. but in real rough seas you wont be comfortable anywhere on a boat unless youre in the back on a bean bag or something. I personally havent seen one in person but it looks nice and has a functional purpose in its layout.

i love my parker and all...but $300k buys a hell of a custom downeaster - one that's tough as nails, just as functional, at the sacrifice of some speed

I really hope more people will take the time to answer this. Thank you guys so far for your opinions. Here is my take. The cabin sole is actually raised a bit so you do not sit as low as in our boats, so this should by theory help to control the "pounding". I really think my main beef here is that the finishing does not match the price. To be honest a PROPER helm chair with mechanicals for absorbtion should be in place. At 34 feet it is time to do away with the feeling that you are going to get beat up in seas, so anything to help that cause would be a welcome bonus. The carpet in the cabin needs to go and replaced with proper sound and insulation materials. If that is a proper teak sole then God bless them, but if not why not just a finished non skid floor?? In reference to the dinette setup, it would have been a much more welcome sight to see a forward facing bench with a collapsible table and a helm seat. Seems to be enough room!! As i have said in other posts I will make a personal, final judgement when i see it in person, but a lot can be said with pictures.

This is a large boat and needs to act like one, not in price but rather in substance. It just seems that they haven't learned from some bogus moves by others. I don't know why, but those interior seat backs really get in my crawl. Looks like something Silverton would have done in the 70's!!

CaptainJim":2k20fw67 said:
i love my parker and all...but $300k buys a hell of a custom downeaster - one that's tough as nails, just as functional, at the sacrifice of some speed

I agree 100%

yes 300k will buy you a downeaster but you are not in the same type of boat. Parkers are different from most every other boat company in that they are an outboard driven pilothouse. They dont claim to be anything else. As far as the 34 costing so much remember that the overall length of the boat is over 40 feet long and it has a 12 foot beam. Inside the cabin i can see what they were trying to replicate and it seems like most of the sportfishing boats have a helm seat with some sort of round seating arrangement. Also remember that this is a pilot house boat not a cabin boat. Judging from the picture it seems like that 34 is more than half cockpit area. We have a grady dealer nearby and i drove by the 36 this morning and more than half of that boat is cabin. The fit and finish on a parker is always going to be the same. they arent trying to be fancy with what the do because that is not what they are known for. it is still over a 100k south of a similar outboard driven grady. Also this is not going to be a mass produced boat so each boat obviously is going to have more of a fixed cost based on the mold and other things associated with it unlike a 23 that they pop out all the time. I would imagine that since it is a new boat for them that they will try different things and if someone likes the style will get with parker and have it custom built as far as layout inside the cabin. Parker seems to be pretty understanding and listens to what people have to say and want and need out of a boat. its there first shot at it so cut them a little slack.

I think that until more of us get a chance to see and ride on this boat, hard and fast opinions cannot be formed.
I hope to get my chance to see and photograph her at the Annapolis powerboat show. :wink:

chrisn":3if19dm7 said:
I see nothing about this boat that says give me the rough seas except maybe its shear size!! I would however love to see somebody hold on for dear life in that bench seat in bad weather!! :lol: Somebody even had the audacity to claim that it would be a great family bay boat!! I mean come on I love my 25XLD, but I see nothing about this boat that draws me to it except cockpit size and .....well that is about it. There must be more to this then I am seeing. So please DARE to tell me what!!

Why would a boat that you have no interest in make you upset?

Why would a boat that you have no interest in make you upset?

I am not exactly "upset", but I am more concerned that the Manufacturer that I have chosen at this point in my life has skipped a few fairly important details. This is one of the reasons that forums are out there...to allow us a chance to speak with others about problems, concerns and interests. It is quite apparent that many forums are venting areas mostly to discuss problems and retrieve solutions, especially those concentrating on one specific manufacturer.

The truth is that I am always looking to move up, and Parker's in general offer me many things that I want at reasonable prices and solid construction. If you haven't noticed nearly everything I speak of are things that I consider poor modeling and possibly dangerous design. I do agree that most boats in this range with cabins do have banquettes of some sort or another; however, many quality models have curviture to their banquettes and at least partial forward facing seating. There is also usually much more bolstering to the seat portion with a a lengthening of the seat itself. The spacing between the seatback and the windshield is, in my opinion, just dangerous.

Knowing that the Parker family watches and comments on this forum, and hoping that they see me as a avid Parker fan, my intent is to voice these concerns simply to let them hear some opinions. The boat as a model looks incredible, but some finishing features just look mid level. These again are my opnions and I will never stop giving them as my plan is to stick with Parkers in the future.

It's not a "custom downeaster" or a Grady or a 33 Seaswirl or anything else..it is a 34 foot Parker. It seems to be just that. It follows Parker's interior and fishdeck philosophy just as it should. Can it be better? Maybe, every brand new design morphs into a better version of itself. Overall, I still commend Parker for offering something absolutely unique in it's segment..a 34 foot (+) outboard powered Pilothouse boat with a pure business fish deck. You want marble top tables and leather dinettes...those boats are out there, but it isn't the Parker's niche.

BTW...A similarly equipped 3301 Seaswirl (if it will even take twin 350's) will retail for well north of 230K...and can't hold a candle to Parker in build quality or resale value.

It is a nice boat to me, but if I was going to spend that kind of money and I wanted it to be a Parker, I would have them build to my specs, I bet they could put together a bullet proof boat with all the frills, do not need much, just laid out different, with better upgrades, that is my 2 cets !

You want marble top tables and leather dinettes...those boats are out there, but it isn't the Parker's niche.

Just not getting it eh? This has nothing to do with leather dinettes or marble table tops. It has more to do with fishing functionality to the grounds, while fishing and back home. Also, Seaswirl is one of the worst built boats out there in this size. They are known for their faulty wiring harnesses and cheap build quality!!

BradV":3niqh2e2 said:
yes 300k will buy you a downeaster but you are not in the same type of boat. Parkers are different from most every other boat company in that they are an outboard driven pilothouse. They dont claim to be anything else.

I couldn't disagree more. I beleive a downeaster is far closer a comparison than a grady white. Both parkers and DEs are forward PH's, with large cockpit areas with classic commercial build style and looks.

The only similarity that a grady has to a parker is: Yamaha outboards. it pretty much ends there.

As far as the 34 costing so much remember that the overall length of the boat is over 40 feet long and it has a 12 foot beam. Inside the cabin i can see what they were trying to replicate and it seems like most of the sportfishing boats have a helm seat with some sort of round seating arrangement. Also remember that this is a pilot house boat not a cabin boat. Judging from the picture it seems like that 34 is more than half cockpit area. We have a grady dealer nearby and i drove by the 36 this morning and more than half of that boat is cabin. The fit and finish on a parker is always going to be the same. they arent trying to be fancy with what the do because that is not what they are known for. it is still over a 100k south of a similar outboard driven grady. Also this is not going to be a mass produced boat so each boat obviously is going to have more of a fixed cost based on the mold and other things associated with it unlike a 23 that they pop out all the time. I would imagine that since it is a new boat for them that they will try different things and if someone likes the style will get with parker and have it custom built as far as layout inside the cabin. Parker seems to be pretty understanding and listens to what people have to say and want and need out of a boat. its there first shot at it so cut them a little slack.

$300k is a lot of coin to pony up for a boat. the 34 is a lot of boat, but, $300k would put you into a larger bulletproof calvin beal or a young brothers, etc. If i had 300k to drop (which I don't), I don't think an outboard powered boat is where I'd want to be.

A Parker is a Parker is a Parker is fine in concept, but this Parker has me really scratching my head.

Part of the appeal of the line is it's a no frills, low cost, easy to maintain fishing boat. It's the jeep willy of the boating world.

The 34 over reaches on those points, and frankly falls way short on the attributes a boat that size should have; the galley is all split up (microwave is under a seat?), and there is no privacy in the cabin.

It's like taking that willy and adding 4 feet of length to it. It's no longer this nimble, efficient little quirky car but it isn't an SUV or hummer either.

If there is a market for it, it isn't the owners of the current 25's who suddenly want to spend 3 times the amount on a new toy. It's a much more affluent buyer, and they want it for completely different needs.

chrisn":371kkm0s said:
You want marble top tables and leather dinettes...those boats are out there, but it isn't the Parker's niche.

Just not getting it eh? This has nothing to do with leather dinettes or marble table tops. It has more to do with fishing functionality to the grounds, while fishing and back home. Also, Seaswirl is one of the worst built boats out there in this size. They are known for their faulty wiring harnesses and cheap build quality!!

Exactly my point...Parker quality at Seaswirl dollars. I get it just fine...you don't like the layout. There is another thread on this page from someone who raves about the 34. Personal opinion is not what matters...if the boat sells to it's target buyer, than Parker has met it's goals. If it's not your cup o' tea, then vote with your wallet. I guess what I don't get is why so many feel the need to tell us how Parker got it wrong when it's way to early to tell whether or not the boat will succeed in the marketplace. It has landed in a size and power segment at a very competitive price, so let the consumers be the judge. I personally think they will sell as many as they can build...this is not going to be a big volume boat by any means.

Here is my opinion. I feel that Parker needs to ease up on the power options for these boats. Give the customer some choices. If the customer has more options such as the floor plan, power plant, color, I really believe that you would have a happier customer and sell more boats. Take a look at the boats that we all own and notice the differences that we made to suite our selves. As far as the cabin layout, I believe I would purchase the boat stripped and finish it myself to suite me. It is costing Parker a lot to build these boats. If they don't appeal to folks and wind up sitting on dealer's lots, they'll start listening to what the customer wants.

C. Blizzard
Eden, Maryland

so a downeaster can run 50MPH? and as far as parker selling more boats by offering more layouts and what not its not a custom boat. im sure you can order one custom and pay custom. thats what is so great with everyone they want the best, fastest, nicest for the cheapest. doesnt happen that way. you want a huge 34 custom tailored to you then youll pay for it. you want a nice simple boat that you can add to and change all you want then get a parker.

optimaxfish":3f6zmfev said:
BradV":3f6zmfev said:
so a downeaster can run 50MPH? .
:lol:

What in the world does the 34 Parker have in common w/a noisy, flat-bottomed, single diesel that can hardly cruise fast enough to fish for wahoo, can't turn around in a football field, can't run outside of a bay, and has little/no appeal outside of the Cheaspeake?

The bigger question might be why does anyone care how Linwood Parker runs his business. Last time I looked, Parker Marine Enterprises is a family owned organization, not pubically traded.

I'll agree 100% with that.

I saw the 3420 last week, its a great looking boat. Comparisons to a Downeast or a Chesapeake boat are not relevant. This boat is bluewater capable and will get there and back fast. And at 12000+ pounds, the ride should be very good.

Comparison to GW are also not helpful. The 3420 is a pilothouse, you walk inside and there is space galore. Big Gradys are nice but you still wriggle through a hatch to get down into the cabin where you cant see anything except the fancy teak and holly floor.

Finally, a 33 or especially a 36 Grady is more than 270K list I'll tell you. I think the 36 is 450K if I recall the show correctly.

optimaxfish":1sb8f3n3 said:
BradV":1sb8f3n3 said:
so a downeaster can run 50MPH? .
:lol:

What in the world does the 34 Parker have in common w/a noisy, flat-bottomed, single diesel that can hardly cruise fast enough to fish for wahoo, can't turn around in a football field, can't run outside of a bay, and has little/no appeal outside of the Cheaspeake?

price tag, overall layout, and useage. :D

and you have GOT to be joking. downeasters are BY FAR the most popular boat pattern everywhere from maine down to about jersey. plus, i would put that downeaster's sea keepng abilities against any parkers any day of the week. add to that fuel economy, durability and lower price for comparatively sized vessel, and i would bet that most people who make the side by side comparison would be riding a single diesel.

not everyone thinks like you do. :roll:

Back