Windlass maintenance

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
CP Family,

I was going to disassemble my Lewmar Pro Series 700 Windlass for maintenance. I have the wrench that came with it, but on one side of the windlass it has a "torques head" looking input. Do I need a special wrench to remove the gypsy?

thumbnail_IMG_0585.jpg

To disassemble put it into free fall by letting the capstan unwind 1-1 1/2 turns. Loosen and remove the Allen head bolt in the middle of the capstan. Push the free fall pin in and lock it with the knob (9:00 in your picture). Unwind the capstan off the shaft. Be careful not to drop it. it's heavier than it looks. You'll also have to take the guard and stripper off to get the gypsy completely off (Allen heads at 6:00 and 4:00). It's also a good idea to clean up the threads of the capstan and shaft while you have it apart. You'll need a 5/8" 18 pitch tap and die. Grease it all up and put it back together. Use blue lock tight on all of the Allen heads.

To disassemble put it into free fall by letting the capstan unwind 1-1 1/2 turns. Loosen and remove the Allen head bolt in the middle of the capstan. Push the free fall pin in and lock it with the knob (9:00 in your picture). Unwind the capstan off the shaft. Be careful not to drop it. it's heavier than it looks. You'll also have to take the guard and stripper off to get the gypsy completely off (Allen heads at 6:00 and 4:00). It's also a good idea to clean up the threads of the capstan and shaft while you have it apart. You'll need a 5/8" 18 pitch tap and die. Grease it all up and put it back together. Use blue lock tight on all of the Allen heads.
Thank you, Antidote!

Back