Winter Cover in Action!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There seems to have been lots of new threads on ClassicParker this fall on the pros and cons of winter covering your Parker. IMHO it all comes down to how much Winter snow and ice you get and where you are in the "snow belt".

Because of where I keep my Parker for the winter my cover frame design features a high ridge pole for steep sloping sides to shed snow load.

setup3.jpg

Due to the winds we get during our average Winter Noreaster, I carry the cover completely under the belly to minimize "blowout".

coveredport.jpg

Over the last few days I have accumulated about 18" of snow in my driveway, but the steep sloping cover frame is doing it's job, and there is no snow load on the Parker. :D :D

portsnow.jpg

This week it will get up to 40 degrees during the day, the bottom 4 inches of snow will melt down into a slush layer, and then freeze solid by the end of the week. :shock:

Keeping my decks and cockpit dry and out of the slush/puck freeze/thaw cycling will minimize winter damage to the hundreds of little nooks and crannies that slush could accumulate and freeze up. 8)

Only three more months of this before launch! :roll: :roll:

Megabyte":1hnizr9t said:
Man... that last photo is depressing! :(

Too much snow too early this year. It's not even Christmas yet! :(

The only thing left to do to get through this early winter snow is either head south or drink heavily. :shock:

Or both. 8) 8) 8)

I agree...that is depressing.

I just left my boat in a fenced, alarmed, lot in Norfolk, VA. Planning to fish the VA/NC coast in Jan/Feb for those big ocean running stripers.

They don't get much snow down there, and this is the first year I'm not installing my wooden frame and tarp. She will go straight from fishing the VA/NC coast to Tri-State in late Feb for service, and then back on the water for several trips to the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant (CCNPP) hot-water out-flow (aka "Rips") in Mar.

I hope I made the right decision.

Porkchunker":zeixmz59 said:
I hope I made the right decision.

Let's see,.... instead of tarping her up and putting her away for three or four months,, you decided to fish in Jan, Feb, Mar.... oh, I don't think there's many here that would think you didn't make the right decision..... :lol: :lol:

There -are- more than a few of us that wish we had the chance to make that kind of decision. .... :( I guess I'm just climatologically-challenged. :roll: :roll:

Hello cbigma, et al

This is my first year wrapping my 2520 Parker, I too are from the northeast, so I'm also concerned about the harsh winter environment. I like your idea on covering your boat for the winter. I will be doing something similar to the pictures you have posted.

I notice you really have it wrapped very tight, and I understand the reasons for that(I like the idea of keeping the critters out). My question: Have you had any problems because it's so tightly wrapped? Will the inside get too hot on milder sunny days? not enough air flow? Cabin condensation?

On my other boat I had it Shrink Wrapped and they put vents in it. Do you know: Will the tarp breath as opposed to the Plastic Shrink wrap and therefore no vents be required?

Regards

There are ways to provide ventilation, while still providing protection.
For example... I leave an opening underneath at the bow pulpit, and another larger opening at the stern below the motor at the bracket.

Ventilation can be engineered into any design.

I leave both ends of my tarp relatively open, not heat shrunk.

Search tool is your friend here, countless threads on the depressing topic of winter covers.

I am one of the lucky ones, I just back mine into my 40'x50'x 21' high coverall building. I do have to unhook the truck just in case I need to use it. I also agree this is a depressing sight no matter where or how you store. A covered boat is not a happy boat.

Back