Winter projects 07-08

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Well, they pulled and blocked the 'Sandpiper" today, so now its time to start working on "the list" I've been putting together over the course of the season.
Last winter was spent getting her seaworthy after spending almost 4 years on blocks. It was a challenge but it all worked out and I managed to put on 250 hours and catch lots o fish.

So this winter it's time for upgrades and prettying up.
The project list includes:
Install Bennett Trim tabs
Install Thru-hull
Bait pump
raw water washdown
mid-ship cleats
Install new stereo
new VHF radio and antenna
lower capt chair a few inches
install additional rod holders
pull and rebed all hatches and fittings
refinish teak handrails and step-pads
trace, clean, repair/rewire entire electrical system

That should be enough to keep me out of trouble till April.

What kind of lists do others have?

FishFactory":3vabj2bs said:
Are mid ship cleats same as spring line cleats? I thought Parkers came with them?

Same thing, mine's an 89 Parker/Sou'wester and it doesn't have them. maybe they weren't standard then, don't know.
been driving me crazy so it gets fixed.

goinsfishin":3gs3q1rc said:
FishFactory":3gs3q1rc said:
Are mid ship cleats same as spring line cleats? I thought Parkers came with them?

Same thing, mine's an 89 Parker/Sou'wester and it doesn't have them. maybe they weren't standard then, don't know.
been driving me crazy so it gets fixed.

Back to the thread...

When you shop for those springline cleats, get a set of genuine 10" Herreshoff cleats like the ones the factory uses, and make sure to use a backing plate.

3106-0.jpg

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2. ... duct=S31-H

You can see the backing plate in this shot. It is just above the 5gal plastic bucket.

Image-0BDAD664DD2511D9.jpg

The factory actually uses fiberglass material and acorn nuts on their backing plates, but you could substitute some 1/4" aluminum if you don't happen to have some extra fiberglass laying around. :)

The rest of your 'list' looks quite ambitious. I'm impressed!
Take some project photos and post them up as you progress. 8)

Kev...you've got some dirt on that tank vent line.... :)

When installing those cleats, take the time to bore you holes slightly oversize. Then fill them completely with thickened epoxy. Once cured, redrill the proper size hole and bed everything in 5200. The epoxy plug seals off the wood core from any possible water intrusion should the sealant ever fail.

goinsfishin":1qg8sj9o said:
[re: mid-ship cleats] ... mine's an 89 Parker/Sou'wester and it doesn't have them. maybe they weren't standard then, don't know.
My '92 vintage SC had them, the Herreshof style Capt Kevin showed, but in 8" version. If interested, I put in 8" pop-up mid-cleats as shown below, see this post here.

pu_cleats3_817.jpg

It also gives details on wetting out and protecting the core too, with photos.

Thanks guys,
I've already got the 8" cleats, probably do it this weekend.
As for backing plates....an old GF's father had an old mangled cleat mounted on a plaque in his living room.....he also had a big scar on his chest and was missing 2 ribs....got hit by the cleat when towing a boat.
Myself, i was pulling a guy off a sandbar in the Rhodes river a few years ago when his cleat pulled and broke my window....
My cleats will be well backed !!!!!!!

I will be posting projects/pictures as i work thru the list.
Steve

Lordy...! If you intend to do any towing on the hip, please don't use pop-up cleats.

He lost 2 ribs?! :shock:

yeah....two ribs....damn'd near killed him......scary aint it ?
BTW...I don't tow any more.....let the towboats do it.

Any suggestions on tabs for 25 ft MV?
I'm torn between the Bennett 24x9 vs 24x12....
What experience/tabs do you'all have?

goinsfishin":2ajezrde said:
Any suggestions on tabs for 25 ft MV?
I'm torn between the Bennett 24x9 vs 24x12....
What experience/tabs do you'all have?

I have 24x9's on mine, but 24x12's would be even better. :)

Hey keep us informed , I have my new project that needs all that + strip bottom , go through motor, fix a small soft spot in cabin floor and all new electronics. Happy holidays and enjoy the Parker project.

Attachments

• boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,337
  • boat3.JPG
    boat3.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 1,337
Megabyte":34fahdr9 said:
Lordy...! If you intend to do any towing on the hip, please don't use pop-up cleats.

I hear you there!

FWIW I made up a custom towing bridle of 3/4" premium 3-strand nylon that do attach at the 'pop-up' mid cleats, but they route down thru each stern hawse pipe, around the cleat there, and then completely across to the OTHER side of the boat, and then up and out the hawse pipe, and through the towing eyes on the stern.

This places the strain across the entire transom of the boat and in no less than 6 attachment places.

Another tip for towing - WET your ropes completely! I sock the tow bridle before use, dunking in the water. Wetting a rope prevents line break-down from heat, due to the stretching, and note - you want some stretch on a tow line. Those braided nylon ropes to see used more and more today (becuase they are 'fancier' looking ...) would be one of the WORST line you could ever choose to tow with.

I also tie a red or white heavy terry-cloth towel to the center of the tow line ... for visibility and to 'slow down' the line in case the tow rode breaks. This towel should be wet too.

All my opinion anyway ... your mileage may vary ...

My boat project for the winter involves my other boat, a sit-on-top Ocean Kayak Drifter kayak. I just bought a new fishfinder (I immediately gave it to my wife to wrap and place under the Christmas tree). Once I officially get the present from Santa, I will install it to give me sonar capabilities while fishing from the kayak.

It should help me find fish, but will remove one of my excuses as to why I don't catch more fish. :roll:

John, That is one upgrade that I have yet to do to my yak...
Can I shadow you this winter looking for the elusive pickerel? :)

Megabyte":2a7dadwp said:
John, That is one upgrade that I have yet to do to my yak...
Can I shadow you this winter looking for the elusive pickerel? :)

You bet. Maybe we can have "kayak bumper stickers" made up that say "My Other Boat is a Parker" :lol:

Back