Wintertime day on the job!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burtona

Reaction score
I spent a nice day at work today today in SE North Carolina.
The tide was high about 10:00AM when I launched the Parker 21SE and no current was moving so I first I went about 5 miles out in the ocean to AR-420 looking for Grey Trout. Beautiful sunny calm 60 degree day at work. Couldn't find any Trout, only a couple of undersize Black Bass so I came back in and decided to try to find some Speckled Trout in the creeks behind Bald Head Island. Stopped at the first trout hole and stayed for a couple of hours. Didn't catch a single Trout but I did find a school of Puppy Drum (Redfish). Caught about 12-15 of them. All were about 14-17 inches long (too small to keep - 18" min.) and I caught them on the 6 lb. test trout rods with a lead head jig with a plastic curly tail. Lots of fun on the light tackle! Couldn't bring myself to leave them to find a trout for dinner. Guess I'll eat left over turkey again.
I love this job!!

Working Sunday about 25 miles out from Southport, NC (Horseshoe area). Managed to drag up a nice Grouper and a surprise 4+ Lb. Flounder. Fishing buddy caught a nice Flounder also.
Another beautiful day on the job! Somebody's gotta do it.

Attachments

• Nice-Catch2.jpg
    Nice-Catch2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 108
I was just wondering if that fishing holds up through January and February.... Is there a time you really can't fish or is it day to day?

jasperdog":6qcgpx0n said:
I was just wondering if that fishing holds up through January and February.... Is there a time you really can't fish or is it day to day?

The offshore bottom fishing is good throughout the winter. King mackeral are available throughout also but may involve longish runs (35-40 miles) to find warm water. Further offshore Wahoo and some Tuna are available also. It's all weather dependent for small boats like mine (Parker 21SE) so you have to pick the days carefully. Sunday forecast was light variable winds 10 knots or less and 60+ degrees.
Redfish and Speckled Trout are available inshore even on days the weather windy and cold if you can stand it but the bite is not as predictable.

Latest posts

Back