Wow I've got a problem......

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Matt

Reaction score
I'm a little late prepping for the season and I decided to look over my rods. I can't believe how many rods I have and I wondered of it was just me. So when does a hobby become an obsession?

Attachments

• rods 003.jpg
    rods 003.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 333
but how many do you troll at once? :lol:

I have:
12x330gti
1x320gti
4x310gti
1xpenn 975
1xquantum baitcaster
1xpenn 940
6 spinning reels

for 24 combos total... (but I will troll up to 13 rods at once :lol: )

I'm a rookie compared to you. Using my outriggers I can run 6 Penn 50's on my 23SE. A few 4 foot bars, a few chains and maybe a chugger as well. But you really have to pay attention and keep her straight or your screwed. It gets to be like a Chinese fire drill once a rod goes off.

A few of those rods are for jigging and plugging the Cape Cod canal. I have my 6-50 series outfits, 4 tube n worm rods, 2 bunker spoon rods, 4 wire jigging outfits, a beach/bait rod, two cod rods, and a few casting rods.

In 2007 I sold all of my surf rods and most of my heavy off shore rods at a total of 12 rods and 14 reels and none of them were cheap. I now have a grip on my collection at an even 16 rods and 18 reels. I just recently got a new Tica Rod and Reel for bass or cod fishing and have yet to put a fish on to try it out. It is amazing how many rods and reels were acquire and have a strong attachment to every one of them to the point that it is like giving up an old friend when one goes elsewhere

Matt I think it is a 23SE thing! I got it so bad that I have 2 fishing rooms. One on Cape and one out here in Frisco. The frisco room is essentially all fly fishing gear 18 rods and reels and still growing few striper rods for the delta.
the east coast room is almost embarressing. As I try to down play the amount of gear I have. We will be running 6 50's and 3 roided up 30's for the hard tails this summer. Not to forget the spinning,fly and jigging gear to come along. Starting in June. So stoked the stripers have made it up north for next wekends spash. Hopefully the BFT will be here mid June.
It isnt an obsession really. It is....... a way of life. Embrace it!

Uncle Matt

My collection looks a lot like yours. As I am single, and no wife to tell me to get them out of the house. I have rod racks in the living room, the kitchen, and the garage. My friends think I have an addiction to them because some of them Ive had a long time. Looks like we have started another club.

I don't have quite that many, but the ones I have all have a purpose (and a time of the year) when they come out to play.

TLD20's on full roller standups for spring trolling umbrella rigs for trophy rockfish.
TLD15's for trolling lighter 'chutes and tandem rigs.
Intermediate 330, 320, and 209's for smaller baits and late spring or early summer rockfish trolling.
Those lighter rigs also get used in the summer, trolling hoses for blues and #1 dive planers and #0 spoons for spaniards.
In the fall the intermediates and TLD15's come back out to pull Manns Stretches.

Of course, you can't forget the spinners... Shimano 4000 and 3000 series spinners on 6' to 7' fast action, medium heavy St Croix rods used for light tackle jigging. Early in the season I'll jig soft plastics (bass assasins and and bass kandy delights) on 1/2 to 2 oz leadheads. When the toothy critters arrive, I'll switch to metal... (Hopkins shorties, crippled alwives, and deadly dicks).

Those same spinners can also be used for chunking bunker for rockfish, or bottom fishing for perch, spot, croaker, flounder, and other fun-to-catch species in the heat of the summer.

And then there are the lightweight sticks and specialty rods...
2000 and 2500 series Shimanos used in the creeks throwing Mepps Agila spinners, Johnson silver minnows, and assorted soft plastics and hairpins for white perch, smallies, bucket-mouths, yellow perch and chain pickerel up in the tribs and headwaters by kayak.

St Croix Tidemaster 3-piece (with travel case) for out-of-town trips, and of course, the day-glo purple and orange Shakespears for the grandkids.

I have a pretty good selection... Some of them get used a specific time of year, and others can get used almost year round for multiple species.

It's still cheaper than my shooting hobby. :D

I finally broke down and put two 9 foot long 1x5's on my garage ceiling. 19 PVC pipe sections on each. 38 rods in total. Now if she'd only let me put more on the ceiling throughout the house, I'd Finally have enough room for all my rods.

R&R

How about some pictures of your rod mounting set-up? Sounds like somthing I may want to do.

Back