Yamaha 150 problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPFROG

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Parker 21SE with a 150 hp Yamaha which I keep near the Outer Banks, NC on a lift. The hurricane Irene destroyed my dock and lift but my boat was safely on its trailer. I did not run it for a few months except several times on the trailer with a hose attachment while the lift was being rebuilt. This Spring a mechanic found water in the gas. He pumped it out, installed a new water separator and the motor ran fine for 5 - 6 hours. Last week I added 15 gallons of gas (with Ethenol) and the motor quit after a few minutes. I was able to start it by pumping the fuel bulb (recently added) but it would run for 10 minutes or so and cut off and act like it ran out fuel. The mechanic thinks I have a water in the fuel problem. Could I have a venting problem or fuel pump problem?

Topfrog, give us the serial # or exact model of your 150. If it is a vent problem unscrew your fuel cap when it shuts down or starts choking out and see if you hear any air or if the engine clears up. I doubt you have a vent problem. Does your primer bulb collapse completely before it shuts off? If so you most likely have some trash getting stuck in the pickup tube. If it is water or something in your tank then you should be able to easily check this by connecting a remote tank 6 gallon tank with fresh gas and see how it runs. If your problem continues it is most likely gunked up carbs on a carbed engine or clogged injectors on an OX66 or HPDI. Post your engine data and go through the troubleshooting steps. I am in Tarboro and always willing to give you some feedback if you have questions.

Thanks for the response to my Yamaha 150 problrm. The model number of my motor is F150TXRD and the serial number is 63PX-1023123. To answer your question about the fuel bulb, it is soft when the engine appears to run out of fuel in 5 - 10 minutes. After I pump it until it is firm, the engine will start and run (on the lift). When it quits again, the bulb is again soft.
FYI, my Parker and Yamaha are located in Point Harbor, NC. My name is Stirling Williamson and my AOL address is [email protected].

OPEN your fuel fill and run the boat with it open 9carefully, so no water enters). It the bulb doesn't collapse your fuel vent is clogged or the vent hose needs to be replaced and is preventing adequate venting.

Otherwise replace the primer bulb with one from Yamaha or Bombardier, do NOT use any other brand and actually the Bomb model is THE best primer bulb on the market to the point where Merc racing teams use them.

Latest posts

Back