Yamaha 225 2003-2004

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
Members!

I was reading a thread on another board and there was talk of corrosion on the inside of the Yamahas 225 built in 2003-2004. It is a factory issue as there was no coating put on the inside to prevent serious corrosion that could lead to the exhaust blowing open, seizures etc....Has anybody heard of this? Has anybody experienced this? The kit to fix was quoted to me at $700 Pretty expensive for something that should have been done right in the first place. Yamaha's position is that they do not need to fix anything out of a warranty period. Thoughts?

Yes, and $700??? Try more like 3-$4000

You need to scope the engine and post the pics, can pretty much tell right away if it needs to be done.

I have 2003 vintage Yammis and had the exhausts replaced this winter on both motors, glad I did.

Is this the 4 strokes only? I have the 2004 HPDI 250's and have not noticed much corrosion on my engines brought up from Florida.

Thanks

HPDI's have their own problem but corrosion is not one of them.

Oily exhaust generally stops corrosion.

jethro1 thanks for the link. I know some Yamaha parts are very difficult to get due to the tsunami that hit Japan a couple of years ago (at least that is what I have been told.) Very good to know.

Pat

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site. I would have posted an introduction and pictures, but the boat is at my mechanic having the corrosion repair done before I hit the water.

I bought a 2003 2520XL with a 2002 Yamaha 225 4 stroke with 1200 hours. No problems or codes, but the pitting in the exhaust tube was clearly evident when we dropped the lower end. I'm having the "extended kit" from SimYamaha installed as a preventive measure.

Rob on "Go Fish"

Attachments

• corrosion1.JPG
    corrosion1.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 324
I will, I'm just going to wait until I have my final bill.

Regardless, I got a nice deal on a loaded Parker in outstanding condition!!

me, too

I cant wait until BoatUS publishes their follow up article

here is a typical from Yamaha HD in Georgia

Hi Charles Fort,

I see what you mean about the email volume, but we all need to know where you and Boat U.S. stand on this problem. You've gone above and beyond already to help us but if you and Boat U.S. are not willing or able to continue representing us with Yamaha it's probably best for us to know now.

Yamaha has probably realized that this problem is very widespread and is clearly a manufacturing defect rather than any operator error. These engines were simply defective when used in salt water and the result has been a significant cost to owners but also some serious safety concerns. Despite that, I reckon that Yamaha isn't going to do the right thing until some leverage is wielded against them.

I'd like a decision from Boat U.S. as to whether they are willing to stand up for us or not. If they are, maybe this is the time for another article that updates the boating world on the way that Yamaha is responding to this. I found the individual stories we've heard in these emails to be very compelling reading. I think Boat U.S. members deserve to know how this is playing out.

Thanks again for your efforts in our behalf,

another comment

Hi

Well, that is the exhaust from one of my 2003 F225, 1,000 hours, that was just repaired. I have not yet received the final bill but will let everyone know when I get it. Yamaha did charge my marina about $650 for each repair kit. The engines are now running perfectly after two seasons of alarms and overheat at idle.

Vaughn valled me a few weeks ago and denied everything but said, as a good will gesture, he would give me $150 per engine. I asked for parts but he refused. He actually told me that I must not have flushed properly. Amazing. I, of course, like all of us, have flushed each engine after every use. It is clear that Yamaha has known all about this problem for many years but does not want to admit anything for fear of a mass recall that would cost Yamaha millions.

It also amazes me that Vaughan has offered different settlements to us. He never mentioned to me an extended warranty on a new product nor any of the other items mentioned in our email link.

The safety issue is a big one. My daughter is an attorney and I will discuss these issues with her. I can't believe that the Consumer Protection Agency will allow Yamaha to get away with this. Charles, any updates from them?

Good luck to all, and be safe out there.

It's not just up to 2004. My motor was manufactured in 2005 and was totally gone when it was surveyed before purchasing. It was repaired before I purchased the boat and cost considerably more than what is being charged for the repair now.

Yamaha has known of this problem for years (well documented) and the real potential for catastrophic engine failure (also documented). Flushing the engine and performing all the recommended maintenance procedures would not prevent this problem as it is a manufacturing defect. Despite this they made no attempt to contact owners to warn them. Doing so, they have knowingly placed boaters with these motors in harms way in the open water. I have contacted Yamaha (speaking both to Vaughn and his supervisor Chuck Evans) concerning this issue, and they expressed no responsibility for this fiasco.
I know that Parker is well aware of this problem as I had directly contacted them. I have also contacted the Coast Guard and Boat US.
Aside from this issue, Parker has been known for a quality product. I and many others have not found this to be true for Yamaha. I can only hope that in the future Parker will give consumers the choice for other power options when ordering new boats from the factory.

Vaughn left me a message last week. Haven't called him back yet. Not sure I want to give Yamaha the opportunity to tell me to F*** OFF? Might be best to wait and join the future class action against them.

Back