Yamaha 250-High Volume Fuel Pump Filter Problems

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its4Reels!-Parker23

Reaction score
I am having issues with clogging of the Hi Volume Fuel Filter. I have a 2005 2320 SL with 250 Yami 4 stroke and the boat is in the shop for the second time in less than 2 yrs for the Hi Volume Pump problem. I bought the boat new so I wouldn't have to deal with this type of a problem. The dealer is claiming fuel contamination but I run the same fuel in my truck with no problems. I change the other filters out regularly as well. One thing that the dealer did was to immediately put a clamshell cover over the overflow vent on the outside of the boat. I suspect that this is where any contamination is coming from. Shouldn't the water seperator and the fuel filters take care of this? Every time I change the fuel filter it looks to be clean with no residue but I change them anyway. Not sure what to do as Yamaha is claiming this issue is not covered by warranty and Parker will not claim it is a Parker problem either. In the meantime my boat is sitting at the dealer and the original diagnosis did not fix the problem. Yamaha did offer to cover the parts but not the labor. I am now looking at more labor costs as well as possibly now paying for parts. Sorry for the rant but has anyone experienced anything similar?

I had this issue as well. Yamaha did pay after some prodding by Maurer Marine and me.

May have been fuel or may have a poor habit that I had. I wasn't priming the fuel bulb before start up. The pump is strong enough to prime the bulb, but it runs dry, for a time, to do it and overheats the pump. Done enough times, it kills the pump. Not sure why I quit priming as all my other boats required the same routine and certainly my long tow cured me.

My failure was 35 miles from Dana Point on the way back from San Clemente Island. That was a long day with Vessel Assist.

When my injectors were replaced last summer (see 2 micron thread), they also replaced both pumps as they both tested out of spec, though both still worked.

JW

Back