Yamaha 300 no suck garden hose

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boat25

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 300 Yamaha 2-stroke 2005, will not suck water with water muffs on .Checked impeller and tried again,Impeller good, still no water. Same thing happen last year, I put it in last spring and it did fine. Any answers or help, thanks.

Try taking the plastic strainers out of the pickup holes, also hook up another, separate hose to the flush adapter.

Yammi's are notorious for not doing well wearing muffs.

Hooking up the muffs and letting the water run wide open for about 15 minutes before lighting her up did it for me.

On any V6, I also find you need the DUAL feed muffs, with good supply pressure, for best results.

Mine only pisses out with plastic grates removed

my 2003 150 hpdi did the same thing and i even have the dual muffs. some have said that the grate above the anti-cavitation plate sucks air and therefore the muffs dont work so well but im not sure if i buy that. Those plastic grates do seem pretty restricting for garden hose pressure. I am not sure about the 2 hose method because with water flowing through the flush connector, yes you are cooling off the motor but not convinced that your water pump is working correctly or even getting enough water supplied to it if it was not peeing in the first place with just the muffs. In the yamaha service manual it says nothing about ever running the motor on muffs. It says to test the water pump for proper operation run the motor in the water.

The impeller sits higher than the intake so it needs to be primed it can start pumpimg. If water pressure is strong enough, that's all the priming you need. If water pressure is weak, as in my case here's what I do.

I use hose quick-connects to prime the system. I put a quick-connect on the muff then install it over the intake. I also put a quick-connect on the flush port and a female quick-connect with a shut-off valve on the hose. I then connect the hose to the flush port, turn on the water and wait until water comes out of the pee indicator and intake. Then I shut off the valve, quickly disconnect the hose from the flush port, connect the hose to the ear muff, turn on the valve, and reconnect the flush port to the engine. Now you are primed and good to go...

for my Yama2504 I use muffs plus dunked in a big plastic trunk that just covers all the vents. You can also use muffs and tape off lower vents. They seem to suck air if not covered in water or by tape all the way and have problems then pulling the water up and in.

Back