Yamaha F150 question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lklandpier

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2012 Yamaha F150 on my 2120. 185 hrs. Yesterday she started making a high pitched squeaking noise while at idle speed. It almost sounds like a belt squeaking (not sure if it even has a belt) or a bad bearing. It also happens only after the engine has been running a while. The sound goes away with a little throttle. She's still under warranty, I just hate the hassle of getting it to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this noise at slow speed?

Thanks in advance.

Joe,

I also have an F150XA on my 2012 2120... We' ve trolled with it a lot, and not heard anything like that. I'm over 500 hours on mine now. Sorry!

Have you tried running it for a bit with the cowling off so you can see it or more closely identify where it is coming from???

lklandpier said:
Hey Guys,

I have a 2012 Yamaha F150 on my 2120. 185 hrs. Yesterday she started making a high pitched squeaking noise while at idle speed. It almost sounds like a belt squeaking (not sure if it even has a belt) or a bad bearing. It also happens only after the engine has been running a while. The sound goes away with a little throttle. She's still under warranty, I just hate the hassle of getting it to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this noise at slow speed?

Thanks in advance.

It's your drive shaft bushing in the lower unit.
Use the Yamaha WR 2 lube. bushing should be lubed every time you drop the lower unit. is a common complaint.

Thanks for the quick response. Taking it in for routine impeller replacement in the next week or so. I will have my guy check out the bearing and make sure it's lubed up.

I hope everyone is enjoying what appears to be an 'early spring' in the southeast!

Cheers

Taking it in for routine impeller replacement

Do Not replace just the impeller..... Always put a COMPLETE Kit in it.

Also use OEM parts.... Not aftermarket.... Been there done that. The OEM's last twice as long.

My maintenance guy lubed the bushing while changing out the impeller.

The noise went away. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the noise returns as this bushing stays wet. I can't imagine that the lube stays in place with the constant exposure to water.

Time will tell.

Cheers

Was this the 1st time the foot was dropped?

185hrs.....I bet so? But it's the 4yrs. Waterproof grease is used or antiseze...Silver antiseze is tenacious as Hell It's about like 5200....Open the container and it jumps on you.

It's a good idea to change the waterpump after 2yrs no matter the hours. There are many reasons.

#1 when the motor is new.....To get lube on the mounting bolts, spline of the driveshaft and bushing area, as well as the spline of the prop shaft. Some motors have a zerk fitting behind the propeller on the housing.

Now to do all that you have to drop the foot, so may as well put a waterpump kit in while there. But the main reason was so that the parts would come apart and not break bolts off.

#2 Waterpump impeller's get a set in the vains from sitting....This lessens their tension on the housing. If left for a long time veins can actually break off.

I have seen a impeller shuck veins with just 6hrs on the new part. problem was new Old stock part....A long life on a shelf and had lost it's flexibility.

By the way.....That is a interference motor. If the motor shucks a cog on the timing belt......BAM! The pistons will collide with the valves and bend them.

I purchased the boat with 108 hrs. The motor had been serviced by the previous owner. However the impeller had never been replaced. As a result, I'm sure the foot had never been dropped and bushing lubed.

My 08 had a new impeller every 100hrs and never had this issue. Some folks will say every 100hrs is overkill. We use the boat during the winter months when no one else is on the water. In other words, there's no one to come tow you in if you experience engine trouble. Therefore, overkill on maintenance is a smart move for us.

In my opinion, when properly maintained, the Yamaha 150 is pretty damn bullet proof. We have a Yamaha sho vmax 250 on another vessel. So far it seems like a very reliable power plant as well.

Cheers

Yep 100hrs is a little excessive , but I see your point and a once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)

How long does it take to rack up a 100hrs? IE: How many hours per year?

Warthog's on track. a new impeller every other year is cheap insurance. maybe every year if your a serious offshore fisherman.

We live on the water and have the luxury of dropping in the boat with the push of a lift button. I generally do 100hrs running time annually on all three of our boats. We are very fortunate.

I have a rule after 12 noon on a Friday. 'If I can't get there by boat, I'm not going :)"

The great thing about our Parker is she allows us to go in the cool spring, chilly fall, and COLD winter. I think my wife loves her more than I do.

Cheers

TWOBOATER":3tqqxvr5 said:
Warthog's on track. a new impeller every other year is cheap insurance. maybe every year if your a serious offshore fisherman.

Actually a Good shop will recommend that a inshore boat get changed more often.

The reasoning is....It spends more time in shallow water and sucking in sand and dirt that are stirred up....This results in extra wear.

Latest posts

Back