Yamaha F200TXR 4 Stroke Starting Isuse - HELP!!!!!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
Okay started my spring commissing today. Replaced theromostats and installed a new water pump. Tried starting engine; it cranks, runs for a second or two then shuts off. I have heard rumors about hydraulic lock if too much grease gets on the top of the shaft, but I can't find anything on hydraulic lock on the internet. Before I pull the lower unit again, has anyone ever heard of "hydraulic lock"? If so, would hydraulic lock cause an engine starting issue? BTW, I did add stabilizer to tank in the fall possibly sometime in mid-october. Could it be bad fuel? Anyway to check for bad fuel? I did put some fuel in a glass jar and I did not see any phase separation taking place. Stumped in Sicklerville, NJ

OK let's start out with what you took apart for the thermostat replacement. In order to get to the thermostat housing you took the idle control valve off the sides of the block for access. Double and triple check that you have the two harness plugs securely connected and that the throttle link arm is connected properly. Also make absolutely sure that all the air and vacuum hoses are installed and not pinched. Very easy to do.

I very highly doubt anything you did on the lower end of the motor has anything to do with this problem.

I would really recommend you remove, drain and or replace the engine mounted fuel filter on the front of the block and secondary water separator. Reinstall and re prime the system and try to run it again.

Let me know what you find out, hopefully we can get this worked out for you.

What year is the boat/motor by the way? And how many hours?

Parker Jr. Thanks for the prompt reply. I will check everything you suggested tonight when I get home from work. There is a good possibility that I forgot to plug something back in. Those theromostats wear a bear to get to especially with my big fingers. The boat and engine are both 2007. Engine has close to 300 hours. Ill post results tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sara F":3ab4gmmv said:
I have heard rumors about hydraulic lock if too much grease gets on the top of the shaft, but I can't find anything on hydraulic lock on the internet. Before I pull the lower unit again, has anyone ever heard of "hydraulic lock"? If so, would hydraulic lock cause an engine starting issue?
Yes, it is a REAL issue, but it only prevents future disassembly of the driveshaft from the powerhead, i.e., that the vacuum created doesn't allow the LU to drop free ...

No, it can't cause any starting issues.

I'd bet $$ it is fuel related ... but check your plugs too , as maybe you left them loose after last Fall's winterization.

Thanks Dale, you make a very valid point. Don't ever put grease on the top of the shaft, just a light coat on the splines.

The reason I asked how many hours and model year is that it might be time for some other servicing. Not sure what type of maintenance schedule your on but as Dale suggested in regards to the spark plugs. I would replace the plugs yearly at a minimum or at least inspect, clean and re-gap to 0.040 if they look ok. Also change the oil at 100 hour intervals or one year, whichever comes first.

Dale/Parker Jr. 1st I checked all around the thermostats and nothing was unplugged, no hoses pinched and idler arm fastened on both the port and starboard side of engine. I dropped the lower unit (partially) to ensure water pickup and shifter were seated correctly. All looked fine. Plugs were newly installed last spring and I normally replace the plugs after I run the engine for the first time in the spring. I might as well change them, but honestly I don't think it is an issue with the plugs. I really think it is a fuel issue. Either not getting fuel or bad fuel. Someone suggested that I spray starter fluid into the intakes while cranking the engine just in case water got into the injectors. Spraying starter fluid makes me nervous, but I'll try anything once. If that doesn't work, off to the dealer for me. Thanks for the recommendations appreciate any other ideas either of you have on the subject.

Good to hear everything else checks out ok. Did you check the filter cup mounted on the engine? How does it look? Kind of sounds like the fuel supply is questionable.

Im not sure if I would spray starter fluid in there, I would rather see you use air intake cleaner or carburetor spray cleaner.

Parker Jr. I emptied both the 10 micron water separator and the fuel filter bowl at the power head. Was thinking of putting fresh fuel in the 10 micron and the fuel bowl at the power head to see if she will start. If she doesn't start then I am going to assume it is something else. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for the help and recommendations

Not sure how to drain the fuel out of it that is already in it, but I'd try another fuel source.

Any new updates on this? Did you try fresh fuel? How is the condition of your batteries and connections?

Parker Jr. Have not tried fresh fuel yet had business dinner last night got home rather late. Batteries fully charged, terminals tight and clean. Am wondering if primer bulb is bad or if I have a blocked vent. Tried starting with fill cap off no difference. Primer bulb doesn't seem to get hard. Going to have my son squeeze it while I crank engine. Going to try fresh fuel tomorrow buying a small auxiliary tank tonight try fresh fuel tomorrow. Stayed tuned and thanks for the continued interest and assistance.

Another update took off fuel filter at powerhead discovered that the o-ring was missing causing an air and fuel leak. If this filter is not sealed properly can the additional air cause engine not to start because it doesn't have proper vacuum. Did not have a replacement o-ring so off to dealer tomorrow night. Boats they are a love hate relationship. Anyway on a more positive note I did fix the gouge in my gelcoat can't even see the repair. Happy but not happy happy until engine starts :?

Another update took off fuel filter at powerhead discovered that the o-ring was missing causing an air and fuel leak. If this filter is not sealed properly can the additional air cause engine not to start because it doesn't have proper vacuum. Did not have a replacement o-ring so off to dealer tomorrow night. Boats they are a love hate relationship. Anyway on a more positive note I did fix the gouge in my gelcoat can't even see the repair. Happy but not happy happy until engine starts :?

Good find on the o-ring for the filter cup. That can definitely cause a small issue with the suction to pull fuel to the engine. In regards to your comment about the primer bulb, it will not get hard like a carburetor driven motor. Fuel injected motors really don't need to be primed so the primer bulb is not really necessary. That is the job of the fuel pump. The primer bulb will get somewhat spongy/firm if you pump it though.

Its also nice to hear im not the only one dealing with gelcoat this time of year. Trying to do all my touch ups now. It really is an art form for working with fiberglass and gelcoat. Sounds like you did a pretty good job. Keep us updated.

Parker Jr., eureka! The engine is running. Turns out loosing the o-ring on the fuel filter was a good thing. While searching for it around the power head (must have unknowingly dropped it while changing filters) I discovered that the outbound fuel line was severely pinched ( did not notice it before). Re-routed fuel line turned the key a viola she started right up. As Phil Robertson from duck dynasty would say. "Happy happy".

Parker Jr. thanks for sticking with me I very much appreciate your input. If I am ever in your town, lunch is on me. THANKS!!! :D

SARA F. Nice Job on finding and fixing the problem. As for the outbound fuel line being pinched, It seems to be a common problem. Not sure if its a design issue or whether or not someone was just careless during the rigging process of the engine. It always seems to be a small issue like that can pose a major problem.

Thank you for your generous offer, if you ever come to Florida I will extend the same to you.

Happy Boating. :mrgreen:

Back