Yamaha F250 Aux Charging cable

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

Reaction score
I'm thinking about incorporating this to charge a house battery. This may be a stupid question, but is it safe thee assume that the charge is essentially split in half between two battery's? If this is the case, wouldn't it be just as good to use a VSR between a starting battery and house load? I don't think you can use a vsr and an aux cable charging the same battery, can you? Thanks

I looked at the VSR and the Yamaha cable & for me there was little difference. When I talked to the Yamaha engineer, he said the computer in the motor (mine is a 2007 150 4s) decides to charge the battery with the lowest voltage first either via the red cable to battery #1 or the second Yamaha charging cable to battery #2.

I bought the Yamaha charging cable and hooked it on to battery #2. This set up has worked perfectly for me. About once a month or so I change my starting battery at the battery switch just to make sure all is working as advertised. The Yamaha cable has an isolator in it and the cable end fits the factory waterproof fitting that was blanked off at the forward end of my motor. Also have virtually no battery water being consumed.

The Yamaha cable might be a cheaper option, but my research is a few years old...............Pete

I just put in a house battery for all my electronics.

I've got a 1999 225 OX66 so I don't know if your set up is the same.

The one I have has a built in aux cable right in the battery cables coming from the engine. Just look at the starter and you'll see the ground, positive and attached to the positive inside the cable cover is another smaller like 8 or 10 gauge wire. It almost makes the positive cable look like an "L" if you do a side cut of it.

According to Andy at sims most installers just take the lighter gauge wire and hook it to the main battery for lack of something better to do with it.

That's how mine was. I just ran a 2 wire 8 gauge from my main up to the house battery . I fused it with a inline breaker at the main battery.

I came off the main battery with another inline breaker to a battery switch and then installed another fuse box and buss bar for the grounds under the helm.

Everything works great.

Brian, I would think for your set up an ACR would be the way to go. Very simple and you don't have to route it through the front of your engine.

Back