Yamaha Fuel Issues

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
Parker Peeps!

I just got my 23 pilothouse back from the marine mechanic here in San Diego. This is the fourth time in the last 3 years that I have had serious issues with the fuel system on my 2004 Yamaha. Injectors, VST clogging, high pressure fuel pump. I have the tank polished by a guy in San Diego who has a good rep. But, they keep finding black crap in the VST and it burns out the high pressure fuel pump. Has anybody else had problems like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting tired of dropping $1K every time the engine will not go past 3000 RPM.

Have you replaced the fuel lines and use e zero gas? Agree on using 2 micron filter with clear bowl and change often. Have you seen this black stuff and bad parts? I am skeptical. Did you look at the black stuff with a magnifying glass or microscope. ? I would use 2 micron filter and every 10 hours, then check the build up in filter bowl when less is seen change every 20 hours, then check again and increase change interval.

Have you or your mechanic inspected the internal components of the low pressure fuel pump? I remember a post where there were components in the low pressure fuel pump that were degrading and producing the crap you are seeing..........

I just looked it up again, google Yamaha low pressure fuel pump rust.

2 micron sounds like it might work. Had the low pressure fuel pump replaced about 2 years ago. Had the high pressure replaced 4 times over the last 3 years......Thanks for all of your advice!! I appreciate it...

As an epilogue to my fuel issue: I pulled the fuel filter off after one tank of gas to exchange out the filter--this was reccomended by my mechanic here in SD. I decided to swap the whole filter out and to my surprise I found that the Racor had a lot of rust in the entire assembly. From where the fuel came in to where it was going out, the whole housing was filled with corrosion and rust. FYI.

Could the issue be with the source of your fuel, rather than your boat?

I'll just throw my 2 cents in here from my experience. Not sure of the year of your boat but I had a 2004 boat which i used primarily ethanol fuel in (i didn't know any better at the time) after several years of use I had to let it sit one season because of back surgery. When I used it the following season everything appeared fine until one day in June I started having engine issues like you are describing. I tried everything to fix the issue but finally took to mechanic who determine that my fuel lines were deteriorating from the inside out because of the ethanol fuel. I then replace all the fuel lines from tank to filters to both motors with the newer ethanol resistant lines. Had my fuel injectors cleaned professionally and never used ethanol again. The boat ran great after that.

For what it's worth, when the mechanic told me this he took a pocket knife out of his pocket and cut down the center of the fuel line showing me the black powder like trash in the line where the line was actually falling apart and clogging up. This could be your problem and is slowly warning you to replace the fuel lines. Unfortunately, I didn't get that warning and I just stop getting enough fuel to motor while I was out fishing. Good luck.

Back