Yamaha Fuel Problems??? would like input

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitesomthing

Reaction score
Ok i am now going through the white milky stuff on my 2001 250 ox66 VST Filter and a little on my fuel injector fuel filters.
MY question is this, I am trying to determine if this is a ethanol/ aluminum tank issue or is just a plain ethanol problem??? How many of you guys out there having these fuel problems have aluminum tanks? and if any, is this problem affecting the plastic tanks??
I need all info possible because its time to find a solution to this problem. It's taking the fun out of boating and fishing. I do not see this problem much in Other makes of motors.

I am in the process of installing a 2 micron filter after my 10 micron filter in hopes i can stop plugging up my filters in the motor.

Thanks for your input
Chris :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I'd be concerned with installing the two filters in series....fuel starvation. Check with Yamaha.

Have you tried removing the tank fuel sender to gain acess and then pumping a few gallons of gas out from the very bottom of the tank. I bet you will find a lot of contamination as the enthanol is cleanig all the old residue in the tank. Once cleaned I think you will be OK. The racor with the see through bottom and drain will allow you to keep ahead of further problems.

Good luck.

Ray

Yeah, I too can't see 2 filters in series. This could be done if the 2-micron fed a reservoir that the OB could draw off while the fuel tank provided and refilled the reservoir.

Someone on here made up such a 'fuel polishing rig', but be wary ... starving an OB for fuel when she's calling for more and can't get it (i.e., running lean) is THE fastest way to kill and OB motor!

at this point and time i don't know if killing this outboard would be such a bad thing.

I guess i will not run a 10 too 2 micron filter set up. First i will empty tank
and clean out then after that i will consider the 2 micron filter issue.

Chris

I'd add PRI-G and would switch to a Racor with clear see-thru and drainable bowl. You can clean the tank yourself ...

I have the same problem and made the polishing system. Here's the link: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ea7018aea1

The polishing system is on a different loop (with a shutoff valve) than the one that feeds the main engine so fuel starvation due to the polishing system is not an issue. The 2 micron filter could be an issue. I have ran the engine for about 100 hours with the 2 microns and so far so good. The white stuff will clog every part of the fuel system and that is more of a concern than the 2 micron filter. Just remember to replace the 3 low pressure pumps every 3 years--they are reponsible for pulling gas from the tank.

Just some words of encouragement and advice, when I first experienced this problem early last year, just like you I was pulling my hair out--I lost some major fishing time. Now, it is just a minor nuisance. I ran the polishing system for serveral days on an old 2 micron filter and when I bang on the filter I get white flakes from pancaked white stuff. I replaced the filter with a new one and took the boat east of Chatham for first time this year and it ran great.

You need to learn to clean the VST filter and injector filters yourself--which is not that hard and gets easier. If the engine won't go above 2000 rpms, the filters are probably clogged. Good luck.

During my very difficult first few weeks with my F225 running like crap, dealer found "white milky stuff" in fuel system. Explanations ranged from ethanol to contamination from the construction process (resin/fiberglass). But I'm starting to see a pattern here. Two visits to the dealer in which they changed all the filters and a vacuum separator thing did no good.

We've also been experiencing the VST screen clogging with our 225 OX66. White/pinkish powder buildup on the screen twice within the last year. I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't gone to a 2 micron primary filter instead of 10 to eliminate the problem. Very frustrating problem.

I have been experiencing the issue with fuel system clogging. You can do a search here and find the long version.

I believe you are the person on the west coast fishing board asking for a fuel polisher in Costa Mesa? You can PM for more info.....

I now have 2 micron filter/water sep's with glass bowls. Installed by Maurer Marine in Costa Mesa. It is designed so that if one clogs, I can bypass and go to the other while under way. Fabulous theory.

Only problem is that I got more of the material past the filters and to the VST screen on my last Catalina trip and couldn't make more than 4100 rpms on the way home.

Maurer cleaned the system again and I spoke to Gonzalo at length. He is sending me some info from Mercury that apparently states that there is some thought that this material can make it through the 2 micron filters, settle out in the VST tank and then clog that filter (or what passes for the equivelant in a Merc). I'll post when I get it.

In any event, I got 80 hours out of the 2 micron system before the VST clogged, which was better than the 5-10 hours before the install.

Gonazalo has also suggested on more than one occasion that he sees this issue proportionately more on Parkers than other boat brands. I'm not sure his data is very scientific and it doesn't seem to bear out in looking at the threads on this and other east and west coast sites. Certainly Parker doesn't use special hoses or aluminum that would better lend itself to this issue. My thought, if there is any credence to his opinion, is that Parker's tend to get used more and therefore get more fuel run through them, on average, than your typical Bayliner or Striper. Opinions are like..........

Jeff

Back