Yamaha vs Suzuki 250 - 4 stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty D

Reaction score
Guys, can i get your input on these 2 motors ? Im looking two buy a 250 -I now have yamaha n never had problems. I donot know anything about Suzuki. I do know Dale likes Suzuki n i like Yamaha-
Thats - Suzuki---1 --------------------Yamaha ---1

I like them both.

I would look at the dealer network for service and request for quotes for both.
Dale got a deal and this shows some shops are hungry for business

When I shopped at 2 stores in SW FL (Ft Meyers and Pt Charlotte) last month, I got a smile and basically list price on Yamaha, not even a courtesy soft drink or water since it blazing hot at the time and only 3 year warranty. :shock: The Ft Meyers place had none in stock where the Pt C store had them on boats and boxes plus the salesman was a long time Yamaha mechanic then service shop manager and now salesman.

I planned to travel to Tampa to visit a couple Suzuki dealers but other items needed my attention

I was impressed with the fly the wire controls on the Yamaha along with big LCD screen

I briefly read the performance speces on the new Yamaha 250 V6 4.2L and decided to go hug and keep my OB :) and bought 120 gallons of gas and took the family boating and fishing, and out of ate.

No matter how you slice it and have the lowest price, it is a lot of money.

Always interested in Dale's commentary, too

I would like to view some more information on this subject. Just broke a crank on my 225 EFI and pondering all ways to get back on the water. New motors are 100 lbs more and we already have wet feet from the scuppers, enjoy reading the comments, I read that the newer 2320 fuel tank is moved fwd to help keep the floor dry and Parker does not recommend a 300 for the notched transom. Any 250 is costing 20 k installed, however a 2003-2006 EFI would bolt up and I could use the good parts for spares for a lot less money. The price of oil is up to $30 a gallon and little over 1 mpg all figures in to a solution. Use the boat 7-10 times a year in the gulf, just venting on a Saturday afternoon, haven't posted for several years but do check.

After last night 8-25-12 we had 7 to 10 in of rain. We had boats sink at out marina last night n one was the yamaha 200 hpdi. HMMMMMMMM ? The ins. company was here already.
Im real sorry to see that happen to anyone's boat. BUT ... How can i buy that motor if its not my boat ? Im looking at backup parts. There was a yamaha 250 4 stroke that went under but only when the guy jumped in his boat to pump out the water.
I checked my parker this morn n no water -.........................

Suzuki: We ran a 115 to 3500 hours, a 140 to 2500, and our current DF200 has 1500 on it, and nary a hiccup other than a single fuel line delaminating on the 140, and a set of control cables after several thousand shifts and 4000+ hours on them.

Yamaha: We've got an F225 on our 2520, 750 hours, its needed the VST done three times in four years, and the low-pressure lift pump is whining... gonna need to be done this winter for sure.

I know for sure that if we had to repower, we'd go Suzuki. The only weak spot is their dealer network, which isn't quite as expansive as Yamaha's. In fact, I'm looking for a 40-50 horse Suzuki four-stroke for the skiff I'm building this winter. The only problem is finding one.

sparky":3n8fgui1 said:
I know for sure that if we had to repower, we'd go Suzuki. The only weak spot is their dealer network, which isn't quite as expansive as Yamaha's.
Just to throw in my $0.02, since I just went through this repower decision … there were factors critical to ME ... your input could very well vary, that I understand. But these are the factors that influenced or reaffirmed my decision for a new motor.

Cost: Advantage Suzuki – For purchase of the motor, main harness, system check/alarm gauges, key switch (did NOT need the controls for any brand motor), plus installation thereof … the Yamaha was $8,000 more (after the $1,400 promotional Suzuki rebate) …

Dealer Network: Advantage Yamaha – Clearly a superior dealer base, by sheer numbers.

Fuel Co$ts: Advantage Suzuki – No high octane fuel is required to meet the OB cowling labeling for the listed 250 horsepower.

Rebates: Advantage Suzuki – For the ‘repower’ promotion deal that I got, I received an extra $1400 repower rebate. Yamaha offered no rebates or promotions.

Resale Value: Advantage Yamaha – Have to give it to them due to their larger service/dealer base …

Service/Longevity Issues: Advantage … unknown. But none of the > 20 DF250s that I personally know of that others are running, have suffered an injector issue, VST and/or other filtration issue, low/high pressure fuel pump, or exhaust housing corrosion issue akin to that which the Yam motors have. There’s a reason you’re seeing more and more DF250s on the stern of tow boat operators and offshore fishermen … torque and reliability.

Torque/Load Carrying: Advantage Suzuki – For the gearcase ratio and ability to spin a HUGE diameter load-carrying 3 or 4-blade prop. See my latest test results where my performance when carrying 8 adults (5 in the stern, 2 on the tower), as compared to 3 adults, only resulted in a 1-mph loss at both cruising and WOT speeds.

Warranty: Advantage Suzuki – 6-years, versus Yamaha 3-years base, 5-years on promotion.

I would have considered a Honda if my local dealer wasn’t … uhhhhhh, just so difficult to do business with … as not everyone can afford to pay list price :shock: for a new motor. And I’ve said it before (like when my boats wore OMC motors) but if I owned any boat company, you can bet as a business person that I too would have sold my hulls with Yamaha motors on them! Seriously! There really wasn’t any other solid or logical choice for a nation-wide motor brand. But I think that's a-changing ...

So, does that mean that a Yamaha was the best motor for me? I don’t think so. Even at this Spring’s Boston boat show, my local Parker dealer confided to me and Sully that his personal Parker wore a Suzuki OB and that if he had his way … he’d be selling his Parkers with Suzukis on the stern direct from the factory.

Anyway … just to add to the ‘debate’ … :D

Im hearing good things on the suzuki. I havent look at one yet. The only thing is service. Not to many service Suzuki here. I do alot of repaires my self n Yamaha is easy to work on n so many boat owners have yamaha that if you have a problem, you just ask Classic Parker n you get answers.
I was told Yamaha is comming out with there 6 year warr. again. FREE ?? Feb. 2013
Dale -i sent the shim today. When i get those numbers on the 250 - i will send them.
Mart D.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%20L ... DF250.aspx

DF250 Advantages
Over Honda

No Comparable 4-Stroke Model

Over Mercury

Lightweight, compact design can be mounted on 26" center without contact.
Natural Aspiration vs. SuperCharge. Every Authorized Suzuki Dealer can service vs. Limited Authorized Service Centers
Offset Drive shaft. Better balance on the transom.
Self adjusting timing chain vs. Over head belt. No belt maintenance or adjustment necessary.
220.5 cu. in. vs. 105.7 cu. in. No replacement for displacement.
Easy access Shim and Bucket valve adjustment quick and accurate valve adjustment vs. expensive service
2.29:1 vs 2.08:1. Lower gear ratio to swing a larger prop for improved acceleration.
569 lbs vs 635 lbs. Better Power to Weight Ratio
3 Star vs 2 Star Clean Emission

Over Yamaha

55° vs 60 ° block for compact, lighter, design can be mounted on 26" center without contact.
Multi-Stage Induction. Boost torque and maximize power.
Offset Drive shaft. Better balance on the transom.
Self adjusting timing chain vs. Over head belt. No belt maintenance or adjustment necessary.
220.5 cu. in. vs. 204.6 cu. in. No replacement for displacement.
2.29:1 vs 2.08:1. Lower gear ratio to swing a larger prop for improved acceleration.
54 Amp charging vs 45 Amp. More power for your electronics.
8.7 qt.of oil vs 6.1 qt. More oil for better lubrication and cooling.

Over Johnson

No Comparable 4-Stroke Model

Zuke needs to update their marketing page.. Honda has a 250 now.

Here are the main advantages of a Zuke 250 over all others:

• Price!
    Larger diameter prop for singles on larger boat applications.

All are excellent motors so those two advantages are pretty significant.

Disadvantages are somewhat smaller dealer network than Yam and Merc (but it has been growing) and in the past the extended warranties have come from a 3rd party vendor whom I understand could be a bit more difficult to deal with. That may have changed now though.

I wouldnt hesitate to own a zuke, especially if the price is right.

Yam has a great reputation but the new motors are $$$$$$$. However they come with some cool new features like digital controls. The weight advantages are good in some applications but not significant in repowering a parker. I have heard mixed reviews on how they handle warranty issues. My dad's fishing partner had a horrible experience with them but a guy I share fishing reports with had a very good experience on a barely out of warranty issue. As with anything it is probably who handles your situation.

Personally, I love my Honda as does my father on his boat. However I wouldnt hesitate to own any brand out there. We live in a time where technology has improved as has reliability.

However I wouldn't hesitate to own any brand out there.

I would......Merc. I hate the way they shift.....All of them. put Teleflex XTreame cables on them and they still shift like crap.

Pull the Cowl on one..... Look down into the Black hole. EVERYTHING is BLACK and you can't ID anything.

The Optimx's are noisy.. The Verido's.........Rocket science and reprogram to work on one.

Yam has a great reputation but the new motors are $$$$$$$.

Ah.....But how people soon forget. Do you remember the the 2004 - 2005 250 & 300 HDPI's?

Yamaha still says.....There was no problem, yet $150,000 - $175,000 boats equipped with them, couldn't go 4mi.

That is not right and I know that a LOT of people were burnt.

Like Dale, I repowered this spring to the Suzuki DF250 for my 23DV CC.

I haven't run any numbers, but I do have a strong impression about this motor.

I agree that the dealer network nationwide is an issue. It happens (thankfully) that the dealer Dale and I purchased from is handy and outstanding!!!

Weight was a big issue for me. The Suzuki weighs about 100 lbs less than the Yamaha, but, importantly, that weight sits further inboard on the Suzuki, reducing the impact to center of gravity. Less stern droop!

But to me, all that falls into a deep second place to the performance. As Dale says, the torque is incredible. I take buddies who have known my boat for years and put the motor to about 5000 RPM, going about 33 knots (not MPH), and then ram it to full throttle (about 6000 RPM), The boat surges, I mean surges, forward. It's incredible.

The thing runs quieter than my buddy's Yamaha 250 on his Regulator, and has a great growl when accelerating that quiets right out once to speed.

As said, I haven't run detailed numbers, but I certainly haven't used my boat any less than last season, but have purchased about 60% as much fuel (compared with my old SWS 250).

Lastly, I have had three occasions where, unprompted, experienced fishing buddies have commented that my boat actually handles seas better now. Our theory is that the big prop somehow is better at driving the bow down into the waves. Have no idea, but I think it is better and so do three other guys!

Lastly, there is the fun of having people at the dock not believe you when you tell them your motor is on. It's that quiet at idle.

You couldn't tear this motor away from me!

Thank you all for all your input. I pulled my parker out last week because of all the work im doing- Replaced the trim tabs with 12x18 -thats worked out great !!! I used the same motors. I took the boat to have the bottom soda blasted. If any one lives in delaware n needs there bottom paint taken off-Delmarva soda blast in georgetown, father n son teem. Great guys n great prices-great work !!!... I had to take the lower unit off because i had water in the oil. Im replacing the seals.--BUT---looking at the motor 200 hpdi -there is water comming out of the r/side head gast. Im going to pull the heads off when i get the boat back. Im going to go to the ocean city boat show n buy a new motor. Yamaha ? I think im going to get the suzuki. 250 4 stroke -cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marty D

Hello all,

I think the hours say it all. This is just one of the of the gauges, the other one reads the same. Yamaha F250's 2006 four stroke. They are used on a work boat, I work on. Sometimes they are at idling for hours and then run WOT all the time. They have not had any problems just some carb build up from all the idling. They don't get a fresh water rise after use or anything. What they do get is the maintenance every hundred hours with all original Yamaha parts. i think all stick with Yamaha after the use we have give them and still giving them. We also have another pair with 5500 hrs on them and counting 2006 as well.

Attachments

• yami 1.jpg
    yami 1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 811
That speaks admirably of those units. We have SeaTow down here with that kind of hours on Suzuki's.

The average boater puts 50 to 100hrs a year on their boat. It's the sitting that kills most of them.

warthog5":3f7hdnbg said:
That speaks admirably of those units. We have SeaTow down here with that kind of hours on Suzuki's.

The average boater puts 50 to 100hrs a year on their boat. It's the sitting that kills most of them.

Warthog5,

I agree with you 100% sitting on them does not do them any good. At the end of the day all the name brands are great, I'm just a Yamaha guy that's all.

Latest posts

Back