Yammi 200HP Carbs????????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
Guys,I need some advice here. For the past 3 years at the end of the season, the engine loses rpm and fuel consumption rises.In the spring, I take it to the local Mech and he cleans the carbs and all is good again until about mid-Novemeber when it acts up again.The mech charges me about $500 each time, so it is time that I learned to do it myself.I have cleaned other OEM carbs before, but have been warned that the Yammi carbs are a bit different.
What is different about these carbs? Is there anything special to look for or pay attention to?
I have looked at my work orders from this mech and he changes the same gasket each time, so i am not sure if the entire carb needs to be disassembled or just one section.
PLEASE HELP! :?:

Are you running a fuel/water separator? If so, you're getting CRAP fuel and should most likely get your fuel from somewhere else. Or, you're keeping your tank too full and never using the fuel. If ethanol based, it doesn't last but 30-days before it starts to degrade. You should be adding a fuel preservative, like StarTron by Starbrite company, or Seafoam (NAPA or auto stores) as an alternative product that also will clean the carbs too.

Any carb needs to be cleaned in the proper sequence, i.e., usually backwards from smallest orifice to next largest, to next largest, and then out of the carb.

I'd contact Andy (SIM) @ Shipyard Island Marine and get the Yam OEM service manual and learn to do so yourself. I also hear most nowadays are just removing the carbs and putting the entire carb into ultra-sonic cleaners.

FWIW, pre-ethanol I never ever had to rebuild a carb. I have seen more carb issues and rebuilds this year than all the years since E10 was first introduced in Mass.

Again, rather than YOUR carbs being the problem, it is your fuel source and lack of use of the gas ... albeit I could be mistaken and maybe you're using it frequently. One of the worst things to dois let ethanol fuels sit unused.

Dale,

I do have a fuel/water separator that I replace 3 times a year along with my engine filter.As far as usage, the boat is run 2 days a week at a minimum, most times more depending upon weather.
The fuel at all the marinas is Ehtanol based, so there is nothing that I can do about that. Where I purchase my fuel from is one of the largest gas docks around, so he is turning fuel very regularly and I don't question the quality of my fuel.If the fuel was bad, there would be an outbrak down here and I would hear about it.
I do tend to keep my tank full, so maybe that is the pb.Is it possible that I am not burning through the older fuel and it is breaking down?
Maybe it is best to run the tank low to get rid of the older fuel?
For cleaning the carbs, I have the OEM service manual and it does not go into detail on cleaning the carbs.It only states to clean them.
That is why I am asking if there is anything special about the Yam carbs?

OK, wasn't trying to point a finger, but rather help define a picture.

Nothing special about Yam carbs, but maybe you have a poor mechanic. I cannot believe the Yam manual doesn't define the proper cleaning sequence, i.e., what gets flushed from port to port, or this one first, whatever.

If/when it happens again, remove yourself and bring to shop that puts entire carb into ultrasonic cleaner. Re-install with just new base gasket.

I'd run Seafoam in your fuel or StarTron diesel formula, just use half dosage of what's on bottle for gasoline mix. Saves you 50%!

Back