Zincs on Lenco tabs?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted zincs on their OEM Lenco trim tabs? I was at White Water Marine a few weeks ago, and noticed all the new Parkers now have zincs on them. I’d like to get a pair for my rig, but I’m not sure which ones to go with. Thanks.

My Parker came from Whitewater with small rudder type zincs that didnt last half a season. Replaced them with the same type, but 2 1/2 inch diameter.

Hmm. Okay. So I just have to get some 2.5" rudder zincs and thru bolt them to each blade, zinc on the topside?

If you paint both sides of the tabs well with bottom paint, do you still need the zincs? I've never had zincs on the tabs, but figured the liberal antifouling paint was somehow negating the need for them.......

Wouldn't the bottom zinc cause drag? The ones I saw at WWM only had zincs on top. :?:

windy":z9dtc0xj said:
... you have enough room to put them on both sides, which will give you more surface.
... and yet disturb the water flow off the bottom of the tab ...

In my expeirience, most don't put one on the bottom, nor have I ever seen that done (though you sure 'could' do it).

FWIW I use half a ~4-5" rudder zinc on each of my tabs. Zincs on trim tabs also 'wear out' significantly faster than zincs on your OB as the potential between zinc (anode) and stainless steel (cathode) is far greater than zinc to aluminum.

zinc.jpg

When new from the dealer, mine came with 3-3/4" zincs on the top of the tab. That's what I've always replaced it with. Use the top half of a rudder zinc, and don't paint over it or where it comes in contact with the tab.

John S.

I asked Tom at Bennett about zincs for tabs on boats that were kept on a trailer. His response was that he felt this was unnecessary. He also said that his general rule of thumb was that if your boat needs bottom paint, then you should put zincs on the tabs. Obviously this all relates to the amount of time the boat sits in the water.

I had zincs on the tabs of my last trailer boat. I never changed the zincs over the 10 years I used the boat and when I sold it the zincs still did not need replacement. To be fair I should point out that I generally don't use my boat more than about 20 days per year.

I have lenco tabs on my whitewater and drilled then and put zincs on them just after I mounted them. Just like Dale posted but I put them on both sides. By the end of the season they are mostly gone. It can't hurt to put them on, your call if you want to do both sides. Hope that helps.

I have a full rudder set on each tab,they last a whole season but need to be replaced every year. The bay is so rough where i do most of my boating that I dont feel any negative effects of a full set. I guess if I lived on a pond.... :wink: Capt.Guy

My 2004XL didn't come with the trim tabs and I could see the electrolosis(sp) starting on the tabs when I pulled the boat in fall. Next two seasons I put small rudder zincs on bottom of tab and they are almost completely gone in winter when I haul out. I'm in water from April until December and I'm going to put bigger zinc on this year.

stonebuster":3paqnv6y said:
My 2004XL didn't come with the trim tabs and I could see the electrolosis(sp) starting on the tabs when I pulled the boat in fall.

Mike,

Are your tabs coated with antifouling paint? As you know, on your "previously owned" Parker there were no zincs, but the tabs were very liberally coated with ablative. I have renewed this coating every year, but no zincs. I haven't seen any issues to date. What am I missing? Boat is in the water April to Oct.

John

John, My XL's trim tabs have always had antifouling paint on them, but after the first season, I noticed pretty significant evidence of electrolosis starting. It looked just like galvanized metal in the affected area. I never saw anything like that on your boat. I used the proper paint for the metal tabs. If you don't see a problem with your tabs by now, you probably don't need zincs. On the other hand, it's so easy to drill a hole and put a couple of zincs on for peace of mind. I definitely needed them.

I use both sides of the zinc up here on the south shore of Long Island, I notice that the bottom piece is badly eroded by the end of season sometimes to the point that the zinc is loose. Glad that is chewed up and not my tabs. The zincs on the engine always look good and I just change them away. I do not notice any performance issues with the bottom zincs.

I just came back from my dealer.My new 2120 came in yesterday.It was loaded with snow from yesterday,but I gave her a quick going over.I did notice they had installed 3.75 zincs on top the the trim tabs.Next week when they paint the bottom,I'll see if they do the tabs as well.

Back