12x18 Lenco Install on a 2004 23 DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicho, please let me know if they improved the ride a lot. I've been interested in this same upgrade for a while. Thanks.

96TL":1l6r4b42 said:
FishFactory":1l6r4b42 said:
makes boat dangerous in heavy following sea IF you don't raise tabs (bow steer).

Even with the 12x18's?

That can be the case with any size tab, but the larger the tabs, the greater the effect.
That 'greater effect' can be a good thing in anything other than following seas.

The skill is to recognize the times when the tabs should be deployed, and the times when they should be retracted.

Fish:

As you know, I have the 12x24s on 2320 (8'6' beam). I've hung off the back of the boat while on plane to see what kind turbulence comes off the blade tips. The turbulence on the inboard tips travel inwards converging towards the prop, missing the prop just to each side.

The general setback rules published by Bennett/Lenco regarding blade placement (IMO) don't really apply to our boats because our engines are on a bracket and therefore are affected differently by the blade turbulence.

Because our AV plate is several inches higher than the bottom of the stern (due to setback of the engine from stern), I am pretty sure the turbulence from a 30 inch blade will ventilate the prop in most cases.

Hello.. SOrry just saw your question -

YES - definitely worth the effort.

It is a dramatic difference from the old set. I can now truly dial in the tabs. The boat digs in when I hit the button and backs off accordingly. In my opinion, this is something the manufacturer should address. The standard size just does not have enough "Uumph".

The boat feels much more steady, ride is better and admiral happier:)...
Probably my best $$ spent thus far (not including the boat :)....

Hopefully I described it well enough. Robert Cibran had similar comments on the ride... search for his comments.

I wonder if the performance of the tabs, on those boats with the recess in the hull, is that much more efficient because I have the stock tabs on mine. Is that likely?

The use of tabs on my 2520 illicit a significant and immediate response. I just can't imagine what advantage having bigger tabs would provide.

One thing I do notice when I lower the tabs to get the bow down, is greater fuel consumption. With tabs up, running at 20-25, my fuel mileage is 2.5 - 2.2 mpg. With tabs down 1/2 to 3/4 the mpg drops to 1.9 to 1.6- even at lower speeds. You can hear the water running along more bottom, which would seem, to me, to create more drag?

I dunno. :? I try not to play with the tabs too much and just trim the motor to give the bow the attitude I want. I generally use the tabs to balance out the ride port to stbd.

FishFactory" As far as I know said:
Maybe that's my problem, I've utilized both motor trim and tabs down to control the attitude of the bow.

I'll have to try leaving the motor trimmed at 3-4 bars and using the tabs exclusively to adjust the attitude.

I wonder which has a greater impact on bow attitude, the trim level of the motor or the tab position? :?:

ScoopsAhoy":u3k3vgyz said:
I wonder which has a greater impact on bow attitude, the trim level of the motor or the tab position? :?:

With my 24x9 tabs, it's definately the tabs.

FWIW - I use the same method as FF.
Start out with motor 'neutral' at 3, then adjust attitude with the tabs.
Fine tune with both to suit the conditions.

Did you re-drill the actuater mounts on the tab?
How did you the holes? Did you use one of the existing holes and re-drill two?
I was hoping for some pics.
Dave

Back