17 in Annapolis

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradH

Reaction score
New Parker owner here, I bought one of the elusive 17s that was listed a couple months ago on the board. Dragged her back from Charleston to Annapolis, and spend a few weeks getting her ready for the water. Dropped her in a slip in Eastport a couple weeks ago. Been going out a lot after work at night and on the weekends.

CP was a great resource when I was looking and trying to find information...especially on the 17. I'm more than happy to help others from what I've learned about this hull.

Good boat, and easily the best riding of all 17s I've been on. Hadn't been on one before I sea trialed it, so I was presently surprised...but expect nothing less from a Parker. It's a surprisingly big boat for it's size.

The boat is in great physical and cosmetic shape for a 1991 hull, but some of the systems and parts were origional and needed work. The engine is a 2006 Yamaha 115 2 stroke in excellent condition...and was a big reason I bought it.

Major things done so far:
-Replaced though hull with glass backer, seacock, and flush mount through-hull
-Replaced standard helm with no-feedback unit and tilt assembly (console is a little short, needed wheel a little higher)
-Replaced fuel lines, installed new filter assembly under gunnel, previously on transom
-Replaced all deck hatches
-Added ball scuppers (TH Marine, great product)
-Filled lots of holes, will gelcoat later
-Cleaned up wiring
-New impeller
-Removed old, non-working, and not wanted stuff-
VHF and antenna
washdown pump and plumbing
stereo and speakers
cooler and mounting feet
lots of old wiring

Still on the list:
-Move oil tank from transom to console seat
-Replace trim and fuel gauge, add water pressure gauge
-Under gunnel red led lights (WestMarine $4 clearance)
-New prop, boat hates current Powertech 3bl SCD 19"
-Raise console up about 1'
-Complete re-wire

I was fortunate to rig and repair offshore powerboats and raceboats while in school (a little now too) so I can do most of the work myself. If any CPers need a hand with this stuff, let me know. Chris Pine at Beacon Light has been great with parts and adivce on the Yamaha.

Brad Holbrook

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 315
New seacock and through hull.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 312
That is a good looking boat...and you are right, it is the biggest 17' boat around. It rides better than a lot of 18's. Why are you adding a water pressure gauge instead of temp?

Nice and clean, boat looks great. Chris at Beacon light is a great guy with great service. There is also Tristate Marina in Deale which would be alot closer to you and alot nicer drive, they are a Parker dealer as well as Yamaha

Brad;
Welcome aboard!!
I too have a 17' Parker that I bought new in 1992. Great boat!! My boat originally came with an 85 - 2 stroke yamaha that I never liked, it never seemed to idle right and the dealer couldn't get it to improve so after about a year I traded the motor in and bought a 90 hp 2 stroke with the oil injection, with the 85 I had to mix the gas & oil. The 90 was a great motor and I really liked it. I got busy at work and kind of lost interest with the boat for a while so it just sat in my garage, the carbs on the 90 got messed up and it wouldn't run right I ended up trading it and bought a 90 hp 4 stoke, great engine lots of power and I really like the fuel injection. I live near Salisbury, Md. and usually boat out of Crisfield to go fishing, have found that there are many fishing locations in that area to try and really like the area, just have to be careful to catch a day when the wind's not to bad as there is a lot of open water that can get rough when windy, even on windy days there are some places to get out of the wind. If I want to take the grandkid's and just play around by pulling a tube for them to ride in I usually go either to the Pocomoke River out of Snow Hill or the Wicomico River out of Salisbury.
The 17 is a big boat for it's size, mine is very easy on fuel and easy to pull with my truck, the only down fall with my boat is it came with the small console (looks like yours has the same also) I think in later years they replaced it with a larger console on some boats similar to the one on the 18 footers, I wish mine had the larger one for more storage. Back in 08 I emailed Robin at Parker and asked about the 17 footers I am attaching a copy of the email;
(My Question)
Robin,
Doing a little research on Parker 17' CC Sport boats. I have a 1992 that is still just like new and I really love. I just repowered with a Yamaha 90 4 stroke and could not ask for anything better.

There are very few 17' Parkers around that I know of in my area, Maryland Eastern Shore, I only know of two others. Could you tell me what years the 17' was made and about how many were produced? Any other info you could provide would be great.

For the way the economy is now a smaller Parker may fit in more peoples budget (just a suggestion)

Thanks for any info you can give me!!
Answer
This model was built between 1990 and 1997. There were 268 built during those years.
If I can further assist you from the factory, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for choosing Parker.
Sincerely,
Robin Parker
Marketing/Dealer Support
[email protected]

As you can see there were only 268 of the 17 footers build so they are kind of rare, again great boat know you'll enjoy it!! I have attached a couple of pic's of mine that I took a few years ago, It still looks the same just haven't taken any recent pic's. Again welcome aboard, this forum is a wealth of information if you need assistance, enjoy your new ride!!

Attachments

• IMG_0009 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0009 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0005 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0005 (Small).JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 273
JBK
Nice looking boat !
I love the look of the 17
I live near the north and south river in Scituate and Marshfield Ma
I would love to have one of those boats
They have a great look and I like the idea of the rarity of them
Almost had one found it in Mashapee Ma it was just to far gone was used and abused as a work sciff
Had multiple cracks and rot areas no motor and rotted trailer
Good luck and smooth sea's

Thanks for the welcome guys. The boat is great so far. I looked for months before this one came on the market. Next I have to think about fishing up here.

I like water pressure because it tells almost instantly about the water in the engine, where temp can take a little while to creep up then it's too late. Ideally I'd have both, which I hope to do, but right now boat funding is tight. The engine is mounted fairly high which I like for speed and efficiency, but when trimmed out, the water pickups are coming out of the water. So pressure tells me when I'm too high. Also know immediately if a bag or plastic gets around the lower. I can also baseline the pressure at different RPMs, and know when the impeller is starting to go.

I got with Chris at Beacon Light on a recommendation from two guys I work with who live around the corner from the shop, and who have taken a lot of work there. So I get "free" delivery of parts, and all the advice and instruction on the phone from Chris as I need...which is worth so much.

TriState has been good too, especially for Parker parts and info.

Performance wise...cruise 26mph at 3600rpm, top end 42 at 5500rpm. Horrible 3bl 19" SS prop that I'm almost certain is a bad copy of the Yamaha "cleaver" looking aluminum. Way too much stern lift, blow out, and cavitation. Working on a 4bl SS or Al same pitch lots of rake to fix this.

Last tank, cruising 25-35 mph, some idle no wake, almost 4mpg. Not bad at all for a carbed 2 stroke!

Saw a pilothouse on stands at BOE named Megabyte while driving on 50...figured too much of a coincidence.

Brad

BradH":2rrag49c said:
Saw a pilothouse on stands at BOE named Megabyte while driving on 50...figured too much of a coincidence.

That's me Brad. :D
Target splash date for me is 18 April. After that, she will be in her slip on Whitehall Creek.

For you, some of the best fishing is very close.
At the mouth of the Severn, Tollys is a popular spot.
Actually, anywhere between the 2 ATON's at the mouth is good for drift fishing.
Up river there are some oyster bars I could show you. :wink:

With that short bow rail, LTJ should be just about perfect.
Hope to see you at the annual Rendezvous this year (if not before).

Megabyte":iml44lza said:
BradH":iml44lza said:

That's me Brad. :D
Target splash date for me is 18 April. After that, she will be in her slip on Whitehall Creek.

For you, some of the best fishing is very close.
At the mouth of the Severn, Tollys is a popular spot.
Actually, anywhere between the 2 ATON's at the mouth is good for drift fishing.
Up river there are some oyster bars I could show you. :wink:

With that short bow rail, LTJ should be just about perfect.
Hope to see you at the annual Rendezvous this year (if not before).

Thanks Kevin, I'll be around. Need to get hooked up with some locals to really learn the water.

BradH":ruc0kc5s said:
Thanks Kevin, I'll be around. Need to get hooked up with some locals to really learn the water.

Brad... If you haven't already done so, log on to Tidalfish and check out the local scene.
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/forumdi ... and-Angler

To get even more local knowledge, consider attending a monthly meeting of the Severn River Rod and Keg Club and becoming a member.
All that is required is to show up at a monthly meeting and buy the first round. (hint... get there early - it's cheaper that way) :)
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/forumdi ... shing-Club

See you on the water!

Back