1801 (used) right boat for my useage? (Central New York)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mawgie

Reaction score
Folks-

I am a brand new member, but a long time lurker. I love these Parkers. I have never owned one (yet), but love the solid, no frills build, salty looks, and awesome resale. I also love the 4 stroke Yamaha power.

I am considering the purchase of a used 1801, with a Yammy 115hp 4S. My boating environment is in Central New York, near Syracuse. Seneca, Oneida, Oswego Rivers; Skaneateles Lake, Otisco Lake, Owasco Lake, Onondaga Lake, and Oneida Lake. I am not much of a troller, and will not be using the boat on Lake Ontario.

My use will be occasional, at most 1-2 times a week, when the season peaks. Mostly short (2-4 hours) fishing trips, after work/days off/weekends, with a total of 1-3 guys onboard. The boat will usually towed from my house and launched within two miles most of the time; and occasionally towed up to 50 miles away to launch. My power boating experience is the equivalent of advanced beginner to lesser intermediate.

Here is how we fish: spincasting, jigging, flycasting for panfish/gar/tiger muskie/pike/bass/maybe carp; and maybe occasional flatlining for atlantic salmon and trout on Skaneateles Lake in the spring. Will also want a trolling motor. Maybe a T-top, not sure yet. Kids on board rarely. Dog on board occasionally. Wife on board only for short cruises in handpicked weather, meaning, rarely.

Looking for low maintenance, easy cleanup, ease of semi-newbie launching/handling/recovering. Budget: 10000-15,000. Retained resale value (to the extent such a thing is possible in a boat) is important to me.

My last boat was a Starcraft Fishmaster 196, with a 4.3 I/O. Did not like it. Huge, tall, motor shook the whole boat. Semi PITA to launch and recover solo.

I am also looking at walk through aluminum fishing boats like Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, and also G3. As a practical matter, we are never much further than 30 minutes from wherever we launch, so the purported "shelter" and "windbreak" advantages of walk through designs do not mean quite as much to me, cause we can get off the water in a comparative hurry almost all the time. Also, I keep coming back to the natural, simple, working boat beauty of the Parker......

Is the 1801 a decent boat for my intended use?
Or, should I get my head examined, and just wait for a decent used walkthrough/side console Lund to hit the market?

Thanks for any input.
Most appreciated.

Regards-Mawgie

I currently have a Parker 2110 that I use to fish saltwater. I really want to get an 1801 to keep on a trailer to use just it like you intend to use it. I think it would be the pefect lake/river boat for fishing. Easy to trailer & launch. Now if i could get the wife to agree i'll be all set. Go for it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, folks.
Most appreciated.

I am off work today to work on a monster deck project.
Should be throwing flies at pike out of my 1801!

Regards-Mawgie

Most people who step foot on an 1801 for the first time are amazed at the size.
She is a big 18.

For the type and style of fishing you are going for, I would think that an 1801 would be ideal.
Good luck!

I have a Parker and absolutely love it, however, I have done a lot of what you plan to do and just don't think that a center console is the best boat for your application. I would look hard at the Lunds and Alumacrafts, etc. I had a Lund that I loved and then an Alumacraft Dominator with an E-Tec on it, that boat rocks for the kind of fishing you are doing. Plus it is a breeze at the launch with a nice roller trailer.

I think that an aluminum in this same size range gives you less weight to tow, more creature comforts inside like nice pedestal seats, etc. a perfect spot to mount an electric on the bow, easier to control with an electric, a lighter boat so you won't need trailer brakes, on and on and on

Thanks again, all.

AMR - I appreciate your input. I like Lunds and alumacrafts, but the used aluminum market is non-existent right now. I have been looking really hard for months. With the economy down, no one is trading in/privately selling. I agree that the creature comforts can be nice, but I despise carpet in boats, and am avoiding dolled up "Fish-n-Ski" aluminums like the plague.

As for new, a 17' walk through windshield Lund (Impact), brand new, boat, 90hp 4 stroke, trailer, bimini and storage cover -nothing else- now costs $25,000 !!!!!! YOWWWZAHHHH!

As for aluminum resale, in my opinion Lund is excellent -like Parker-. Alumacraft and Crestliner good, G3 is okay, everything else not good.

Maybe a side console Lund Alaskan is a good idea. Doesn't sing to me like a Parker though.........

My tow vehicle is a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, Hemi, with a brake controller, rated for 10,000lbs, so towing an 1801 Parker is no biggie. Also, my truck makes a ton of torque, and I suspect that a little more boat weight (Parker 18 versus aluminum 18) won't make a huge difference in the gas mileage. Might be wrong......

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Have a good day - Mawgie

Yup, that is a pretty good point, the cost of an aluminum boat can really make you shudder. I don't know where the money goes into those things but they are crazy expensive. I have a cabelas near the house and stopped by there this weekend with the kids to check out the fish and just walk around, we looked at the boats and my knees got weak looking at the prices. Man, there is nothing like a brand new boat though. My wife gave me the evilest of evil eyes so I pretended that I was looking for life jackets for the kids, we just bought a 2520 XL last spring. I remember back that I bought my first Lund in 1995, I traded it in in 1999 for a Hydrasports center console, 18', I got the same in trade as I paid for it.

By the way, a buddy of mine lives out in the Syracuse area, I think it is Fayettville?, he lives pretty close to a Wegmans, pretty cool store. When we visit in the summer we head out to Skaneateles, it is pretty cool out there.

I grew up fishing bass and pike in the Thousand Islands just north of you in a 19' dual console Grady, sometimes on an older 20' CC Mako, tin boats every now and then. I now have a 17 Parker on the Chesapeake.

The Grady is a great boat but the DC layout is not the best for fishing, especially casting. But we fish it because it is easy on gas and always starts. It is also much easier to maneuver than the Mako. Typical day is my brother on the bow and I'm on standing on the outboard.

I would be much happier with an 18 than either of two big boats. The DC is hard to clean because of all the little spaces, and the 20 is too big to get into tight places. It's also much harder to push along in the shallows. All are easy to rinse pike slime out of, can't imagine the stink carpet would get.

If you could get a raised bow platform it would be an even more fishable. Fourstroke 115, livewell, lots of rod holders, would be nice. But you have to decide if you stand most of the time when you fish. I stand almost all the time.

I've seen people take seafoam colored starboard and raise the trolling motor to the level of the toe rail on the bow for a really clean installation, but I'd seriously consider a stern mount with remote if you have to go that way to maximize standing room.

Leave the top off it for now, it's much easier to cast (especially fly) without it especially if more than 2 are fishing.

They are out there in your range, might have to travel a little though.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/2942789059.html

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/2922006039.html

I have an 1800 that I fish from on the Maine coast. I have trailered it around here and to Cape Cod behind my 4-Runner without much trouble, but it is a heavy boat to recover by yourself (although anyone building a monster deck should be able to handle it). I fly fish for stripers a lot, and this boat is great for getting you there and back, and yet is small enough to maneuver around the rocks. I haven't built a casting deck, but have thought about it more than once, as the bow rail can snag your back cast. I won't take it off though, as there are times we really need it! Has a dodger that I use once or twice a a year, but no other cover. I had a transom mount trolling motor, but they just don't work well with this boat. A bow one would be better, but presents a mounting problem with the rail. Also, for fly fishing, it is a 2 man boat, as most of them are. Anyway, it sounds like its has you hooked.

flyfool, and others-

Thanks again for taking the time to consider a non-owners' inquiry.
Mucho appreciated.

I grew up in Mass, lived in Portland, ME for several years in the early 1980s, then my career took me away.
Now I am in Central NY, the heart of fresh water finger lakes and rivers.

Admittedly, "you had me at Parker." I have Parker on the brain, and just love them.
On the other hand, aluminum, the most popular boat around here for my applications,
is stupid expensive new, and there are presently no good used boats on the market.

Rigging a Parker 1801 with a trolling motor sounds dicey.
I will not be cutting into a bow rail to fit a bow mount troller.

Ideally, I can hang a quickmount plate , and hang the troller off of the plate. No cutting....

I have a 1993 Parker 1701 with a Yamaha 85 hp that lives on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH and it is an absolutely perfect boat for the locale. Small and responsive, shallow draft and yet surprisingly big enough to take most anything the 22 miles of open water to the northwest will throw at you. I love the fact that the boat is so unbelievably weather-proof with everything fully self-bailing and water resistant, which is so much more attractive to me that the much more common I/Os with all their canvas and carpet and issues of wetness. The 1700s are much less commonly available than the 1800s, but for your applications, if one comes up, don't hesitate to take a look.

I recently bought an 1801 with low bow rails and pop-up cleats and nav lights. Among other modifications, I fitted a Minn Kota ST80 with iPilot. It fits on the bow very well, folds back out of the way, and I can't imagine fishing without it.

TM_Test_at_ML.JPG

Here's a post with more photos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11721

This boat has everything I need for fishing - lots of space, self-bailing, easy to clean and heavy enough to provide a fairly smooth ride. I can tow it behind my Landcruiser or F350 with no problems.

I am really liking it.

fly_fool":13wfesje said:
I had a transom mount trolling motor, but they just don't work well with this boat. A bow one would be better, but presents a mounting problem with the rail.

What about a pair of troll 'n' tabs from Lenco? A trolling motor mounted on each trim tab would give more directional control than a single trolling motor and would alleviate the issues with a bow mounted motor.

CDG-

I went to summer camp in Alton Bay, NH, and my Uncle still has a camp on Great East Lake "up to Cow Hampshire." :p

Mike S-

I followed the link you kindly posted, and that is a gorgeous, clean installation. I was also really impressed with the Stealth charger install.

Great stuff. I am hunting hard, and found one.
Need input. See next post.

I found one, what do you folks think?

2006 1801
2006 Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke, 280ish hours.
Bimini, not a T-Top.
No bow rail.
Includes outdated electronics.

On a lift for the first five years, bottom painted ten months ago, and in a slip in NC now.
Described to be in very good condition, maintained by a Yamaha tech at the dealer.

Includes a nice looking aluminum trailer with no spare tire.

This was a two owner boat.
Owner says there are two gel coat nicks, and one scratch, nothing major.

The pictures show a boat that looks a bit "tarted up".
The owner removed the stern gunwale Parker logos to make more room for a huge script boat name.
The boat numbers have lots of curlicues, too.

Issues:

1) Bottom paint: this will be a fresh water boat that I anticipate trailering. I haven't ruled out a slip, but have no present plans for one. I have started in on research, and realize that attempting to remove the bottom paint can end in failure. On the other hand, maybe I can live with it just fine. Not sure, but I would prefer no bottom paint.

2) Trailer: needs a spare, no biggie. Also, seller says there are no papers for trailer, so refgistration may have some hurdles. Also, not a huge problem.

3) Parker logos: they are going back on, if I buy it, ASAP.

I am awaiting detailed pics, but anticipate that the boat will be nice and clean.

Asking price is $16,500.

I see it as well bought at $14,000-$15,000, or is 16.5k a reasonable final price coming into peak season?

Thanks for any input - Mawgie

1. No bow rail will allow you to install the trolling motor of your choice. Bonus for you.
2. Electronics are a personal choice, so updating them should not be an issue either. This way, you get what YOU want, and it's a bargaining chip.
3. If you decide to slip, or keep her in the water for extended periods, bottom paint can be a bonus.
4. Aluminum trailer is always a bonus.
5. You will need to replace the registration numbers for your state, so removing the ugly ones and putting on proper ones is a bonus for you.
6. Parker logos can be found at almost any Parker dealer.
7. I would think you have a bit of bargaining room on the items that don't impress you. An `06 with a well maintained motor is probably worth the price, but I'd offer closer to 15k and negotiate from there.

Sounds like it has most of what you are looking for, so it is worth negotiating for.
Good luck!

Hulls w/ bottom paint can be restored as 'as new', even on older hulls, but it is either a TON of work (been there, done that) or a LOT of money ...

Megabyte-

Thanks, missed it. I just e-mailed the seller.

DaleH-

My newbie research led me to this perspective:
the great fear with a bottom painted boat is that, once the paint is removed in the hope of returning the boat bottom to factory gelcoat, just a tad gritty; one could easily end up with spots sanded/blasted through to glass, followed by expletives and purse opening. Even if I carefully fuss it off with Peel Away, if the prep for the bottom paint was too aggressive, I could remain hosed.

My conclusion is this: if you buy a boat with bottom paint, make sure it is good bottom paint, and keep the boat bottomed painted going forward.

I am green as grass, and could easily be wrong, but this is what I cyphered!

-Mawgie

Back