1801 with electric trolling motor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fentress39

Reaction score
Been reading some of the posts and it would appear that 80 lbs of thrust with a 60 inch shaft works well. I am not surprised that you have to go to 24 volts, I did not think that 58 lbs would be enough. I will fish in a variety of water, but most of the time will be in rather big water at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay (Bay Bridge Tunnel) The ipilot feature on the Minkotta riptide looks amazing! So, how well does it actually work? I am willing to compromise, because I don't want to move up to 36 volts and more batteries. I can't imagine it can stand up to an outgoing tide at the bridge tunnel??? One more question if you don't mind. How secure is the motor on the bow? I will be busting through a 2 foot chop, making long runs. Does it have to be taken down when making a run? Wouldn't it vibrate/shake to the point of getting damaged? The trolling motor has me rethinking my choice of boat, so any help you have will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

It's pretty obvious that you have little experience with a trolling motor.

What does the trolling motor have to do with your choice of boat?

TM's are always mounted on the Bow to have maximum control. Stern mounted TM's are not good at controlling boat position.

TM taken down? It's stowed in the horizontal position. I questioned the no support with the Ipiolet when I installed one. Previous TM's had a support.

It has a flexing shaft. They say it will not hurt it. I'd like to see a support for when it is stowed, but 1000's are in use like that.

Yes they work well to hold you on the spot. You push the button that says "Anchor". Lot's of guys use them around here for bottom fishing.

Always install a ON/OFF switch to kill the power to the TM when not in use....and USE it!

This is what happens when you don't. The boat had the CB and the ON/OFF switch installed. Operating the system was explained. The owner failed to follow instructions. :(

100_5944_zps51989d49.jpg

your correct, I have no experience with a bow mounted TM. The 1801 can go into a lot of different places, it's a versatile boat. Sometimes when something is very versatile, it does not do any one thing well. So I am just trying to figure out how it will perform w/ the saltwater TM in a variety of situations. I have been on an 1801 in rough water, so I know it is a tough little boat. When I said "taken down" I meant taken off the bracket/bow and stored somewhere on the boat until after you have completed the run. I knew you would not run the boat with the motor in the down position. So, if you have one, it sounds like when the motor is stowed, in the horizontal position on the bow, it so far has not been damaged when you run the boat in rough water?

thanks for your help.

I have a minn Kota 80lb riptide with i pilot on my 1801.
- The spot lock will hold you at CBBT.
- I've never worried about damaging the motor beating into a head sea.
- I've only pulled the TM off the boat when staying at hotels on fishing trips to help keep honest people honest.
- I do unplug the motor at day's end and confirm it's unplugged before I plug in the onboard two bank battery charger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back