1991 Parker Fuel Tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haydenwhill

Reaction score
My first post here but I figured someone might have some advise. I own a 1991 Parker 23 CC and recently was experiencing gasoline fumes around the console. The fuel tank is located under the console and is very difficult to access. I drained the tank and have been running local trips using a fuel bladder I purchased. I received a quote to replace the tank and it will cost over 6k in labor because the console needs to come off and the deck needs to be cut out. Therefore, I am in no rush to rip this tank out until I am absolutely sure the tank needs to be replaced. If anyone knows anybody in Southern California who pressure tests/ investigates fuel tanks that would be awesome. Or, if anyone is wanting a project, let me know.

Hayden

If the tank is aluminum it would be rare to find a tank that old that does not have some corrosion/electrolysis issues. I build fuel tanks but don't do the removal. Just for a new tank you can expect to spend $10-$12 per gal for a new aluminum tank. Not trying to recruit your business since I am in N. Fl. just telling you what you can expect to spend on just a new tank. Really surprised with a 30yr old boat you are not having some soft spot issues too. If you are not having any soft spot issues you may get lucky and the tank is still in good shape.

Nobody has mentioned the safety issue of a leaking fuel tank under your deck. I know you removed the fuel. Vapors are trapped and fuel shifts around, spark somewhere ..(bilge pump, etc..)

I personally would not operate this boat until that console was removed, deck cut up, fuel tank removed, interior cleaned, new tank fabricated, coated, foamed in, new lines ,vents sending units, wiring replace deck, replace consuls, rewire boat, done.

$6k? That seems like a steal.

Involvement in doing a Center Console:

T top removal.....But whats in involved in that? Cabling and wiring messing with.
Remove the console....But whats involved in that? Cabling and lots of wiring....Shift/Throttle cables.

My point is....You want the tank fixed....Now you will be into wiring....All those old crappy connections will be suspect. There will be a LOT of time spent on the wiring if the job is done correctly.

Back