1994 Parker 2320 extended cabin open back project

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I’m trying to set it up so at a glance anyone can understand how it’s wired. Fun project, I’m learning as I go. 15” of snow last night so good time to work on wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One question I do have for our electrical experts: I adding an additional house battery. Where they are located I’m running 2 -2awg cables to each battery. Do I need to run individual 2awg ground cables for each battery or can I jump them ground to ground and run a common 2awg back to my ground buss bar?
54172f093530dd9a17624dd537cae151.jpg

albiejunkie":2b51k344 said:
I'm going with option 2 for my setup...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It would save me 6’ of 2AWG cable. The only scenario I can see it being an issue would be if I have the battery selector switch to both and under a very large load. Even then I cannot see the wire being compromised.

Start battery relocated and ground wires routed. We had about 20” of snow in the past few days and temps dropped to 1 deg. I had the heater running and it was in the 60’s in the pilothouse. 1/0 wire is tough to bend when it’s that cold. One bonus perhaps is I didn’t need a fish tape to pull the wire to the stern, the wire was fairly rigid from the cold and pushed right thru the conduit.
8074dba2b93df8ef5209665be59a309a.jpg

Looking good, I’m thinking about adding house batteries possibly 4d or 8d to the bilge area inside my cabin. Down the road I’m wanting to run AC and an inverter.

fannin":3rjtcewx said:
Looking good, I’m thinking about adding house batteries possibly 4d or 8d to the bilge area inside my cabin. Down the road I’m wanting to run AC and an inverter.

I’ve been torn on what battery to use myself. I think I’ve decided on a group 31 deep cycle. I have a Remy battery store close to me and their prices are much better than my local interstate dealers. I don’t have any massive draws so I cannot justify a 4d at this point. I’m adding the “backup” battery because we boat/camp at a remote location about 60 miles offshore. I like the idea of having a plan “b”

On the fence about that ground jumper set up. The red battery selector switch is just for those house battery’s, correct? The purpose was that you wanted 2 completely isolated? Thinking through, they will still be connected together on that neg bus though, start and engine so all common so I guess the jumper is fine? Make sure to use nylon lock nuts on those battery post if you can. I changed all or most of my lug connections to nylon nuts so I didn’t have to worry about lose connections. All looks good.

shawnee83":2w1fuudx said:
On the fence about that ground jumper set up. The red battery selector switch is just for those house battery’s, correct? The purpose was that you wanted 2 completely isolated? Thinking through, they will still be connected together on that neg bus though, start and engine so all common so I guess the jumper is fine? Make sure to use nylon lock nuts on those battery post if you can. I changed all or most of my lug connections to nylon nuts so I didn’t have to worry about lose connections. All looks good.

Thanks Shawn, yes the red selector switch is strictly for the two house batteries. I have decided to use the jumper ground setup. I can’t see a down side or come up with any scenario that would make the single wire “unsafe”. Yes I do need to pick up some lock nuts for the battery posts and truthfully I did forget about that. My boating season is about 2 months away so I should be able to have this wrapped up by then. Ive been thankful to get so much knowledgeable feedback on this project.

Brent":2f3ieidp said:
The Titan crimped works on 2 gushed wire.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, for wire over 10AWG you need to use a hydraulic style crimper. I’m sure there are other methods as well.

Brent":kij1zf1v said:
Did you crimp the big wires or order them crimped?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I crimped the large wires. I ordered the wire and ends separately. You can order specified lengths with ends on them but too often during a project my plans and lengths change.

shawnee83 said:
On the fence about that ground jumper set up. The red battery selector switch is just for those house battery’s, correct? The purpose was that you wanted 2 completely isolated? Thinking through, they will still be connected together on that neg bus though, start and engine so all common so I guess the jumper is fine?

I was under the impression that you wanted all the negatives on the boat tied together.
I have a similar setup to you now (just finished) and I put my 2 house batteries, with their own selector switch from the positives, and my start battery grounds together using 2 AWG cable.

albiejunkie":18klb2by said:
shawnee83":18klb2by said:
On the fence about that ground jumper set up. The red battery selector switch is just for those house battery’s, correct? The purpose was that you wanted 2 completely isolated? Thinking through, they will still be connected together on that neg bus though, start and engine so all common so I guess the jumper is fine?

I was under the impression that you wanted all the negatives on the boat tied together.
I have a similar setup to you now (just finished) and I put my 2 house batteries, with their own selector switch from the positives, and my start battery grounds together using 2 AWG cable.

Sounds like we are doing the same thing. My two house batteries are on a selector switch and all the grounds including the start battery run to a common ground buss bar. My scenario is the start battery and the two house batteries are in different locations. Since the 2 house batteries do sit next to each other I’m going to jump the ground terminals on these two batteries to each other and run one common 2AWG to the buss bar. Both house batteries do have separate positive leads connected to the isolator switch.

I did decide on a group 31 for my second house battery. For my group 27 batteries I used Atwood trays with the plastic hold down posts. I really liked them and they were reasonably priced but they do not make one that will fit group 31’s. After spending some time online last night I realized that there are not many options available for group 31’s and I did not want the strap style trays. Aluminum and stainless styles are available but very $ as well. I had some free time today and fabricated a new tray out of some scrap aluminum I had. It’s not perfect but it should work fine .
488310a5cf28ba0c70fc57b78b0b1fab.jpg

Back