2005 Parker 2310 bow rail mount gel coat cracks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_tuna

Reaction score
What's my next move here? I'd rather not remove the entire rail to fix this....

This is the worst one, there are a few other cracks at some other mounts too...

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_181447021.jpg
    IMG_20210320_181447021.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210320_181443864.jpg
    IMG_20210320_181443864.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210320_181451387.jpg
    IMG_20210320_181451387.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Yup. Only way to really repair it is to remove the rail. Otherwise, the cracks will still be there and will come back.

That said, it's just spider cracks in the gelcoat, which is mostly aesthetic. So unless it REALLY bothers you, or you're itching for a big projects, I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

Edit: on further inspection, looks like you've got one spot that's chipped away. To be safe, I'd at least cover that with some sealant until you decide to tackle the whole job; otherwise there's not a ton of urgency.

Yup. Only way to really repair it is to remove the rail. Otherwise, the cracks will still be there and will come back.

That said, it's just spider cracks in the gelcoat, which is mostly aesthetic. So unless it REALLY bothers you, or you're itching for a big projects, I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

Edit: on further inspection, looks like you've got one spot that's chipped away. To be safe, I'd at least cover that with some sealant until you decide to tackle the whole job; otherwise there's not a ton of urgency.
Thanks for the info, yeah I've finished my winter projects so not looking for a big project right now...putting boat back into water for the summer this weekend!!

I have some leftover 4200 ready to go, will that work to seal up the chipped spot? Then maybe tackle it next winter if it gets worse...

Wondering if it was a failure due to installation. My railing was loose and couldnt be tightened because whomever installed it didnt use the right hardware. Besides being a pain to get a proper swivel socket on them the bolts used where too long, they used a ton of washers (some were rusting leaving a rust line) as spacers and where bottoming out and making buldge impressions in the rail supports. I removed the entire rail and ran a bottoming tap to fix some ugly threads. The bottoming tap was required because any other would bottom out and hit the supports as the bolts did. Layed down some 4200 and used the correct lenght bolts and minimal washers. Solid and water tight.

Back