2008 2120 "Barely Legal" in San Diego

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rloomis

Reaction score
After 2 years searching for the right boat and the right deal, 2 months of prep and rigging, she's finally here!

Just took delivery of our new 2008 2120 "Barely Legal" (named for my wife who is young, beautiful, and studying very hard in law school, for the size of fish and lobster I usually catch which have size restrictions, for our little 21'er who'se just big enough to go offshore for the pelagics, and for....um, nevermind.... :wink:)

So here's a more or less bow to stern tour:

Inside the anchor locker, the underside of the windlass installation. Anybody have any luck with using some kind of lining inside here to protect the inside hull from getting banged up by the anchor chain and to dampen the tooth jarring chain rattling when cutting through the chop?
img_9936.jpg

Another shot of the anchor locker showing the hawse pipe (which is really just a hole in the bow) and the original anchor locker door with hole for the rode which is no longer needed. Should the new hole have some kind of metal hawse pipe liner or is it ok as is? I'm planning to insert something to plug the original hole in the anchor locker door that I don't need like I saw another CP user do to help keep his bilge meticulously clean and dry.
img_9938.jpg

Here's underside of the dash with all the electronics installed. Extra wiring for the windlass, Furuno 1724 radar/gps/sounder combo display and the Furuno DFF1 sounder module can be seen here.
Those smudges in the top left across the curtain track is what's left of a mud dauber wasp nest that was built over last summer while the boat was sitting in the dealer's overflow lot waiting for someone to take her home. I still need to get in there with cleaner and a toothbrush to get the last bits of that out of there.
img_9939.jpg

The electrical installer hooked me up with a couple of extra 12V outlets; one of them presently used to power my 12V fan AKA "the whirling blades of death".
img_9940.jpg

Here's a shot of the V berth showing the port-a-potty and storage for extra life jackets and stuff.
img_9942.jpg

With all the cushions in place, a veritable pasha palace.
img_9944.jpg

The business side of the helm. There was a big temptation to install the Furuno display as high as possible along the top edge of the dash, the top edge even with the top edge of the Yamaha speed and tach gauges. But, I noticed some other installations that put the display close to the top edge got quite hot. I had mine installed just a little lower to give some extra airspace and it does seem to stay cooler that way.
The windlass controls are lined up with the top edge of the switch panel and the side of the Yamaha speed gauge.
To get all the electrical switches I needed to fit within the available switch panel, we doubled up the factory cockpit light switch on one side of a double throw rocker with my add-on spreader lights on the other side. The cockpit lights don't really add much with the spreader lights on, so there isn't much reason to need them on separate switches so they could both be on at the same time. This freed up a switch space so I could have a separate switch for my washdown pump and my bait tank pump.
The top right corner of the dash has a plug installed for a remote VHF mic.
The factory installed that red horn button directly under the trim tab controls. I found holding on to the bottom edge of the dash with one hand is a good way to help steady myself while running through tough chop. If that horn button were moved to the left under the racor indicator I think it would have looked better and it would leave a clear spot to hold on to the dash just below the trim tab controls so you could keep yourself steadied and operate the trim tab controls with your thumb without that horn button in the way. Oh well, I guess if these are the kinds of nit-picky details I'm left to complain about, life is good!
img_9945.jpg

Here's the location of the Icom 504 VHF, the remote mic feature keeps it clean with no mic cords hanging down in the way. In my original spec to the dealer, I listed the Icom 402 VHF but the dealer gave me a free upgrade to the 504. I really appreciate the extra features of the remoted mic and the additional display features giving me a constant display of time/date and position. There's a lot of other really cool things this versatile VHF can do. If you're in the market for a new radio, you should definitely consider spending a few extra bucks for one of these.
img_9946.jpg

I think around 2007 or 2008 Parker started putting in these moldings in the corner which make it really easy to run wires from the pilot house roof to the main harness and keep the installation looking very clean and sano. It also makes a great spot to mount a fire extinguisher.
img_9947.jpg

Here's a shot of the cockpit showing the combination cooler/padded lounge, coaming pads and bait tank.
img_9949.jpg

The Pacific Edge 48gal bait tank in all its glory
img_9950.jpg

There have been many threads debating whether to go with the F150 or move up to the F200 for the 2120. In keeping with the "Barely Legal" theme and pushing everything to the limit, this one's maxed out with the Yamaha F225 4 stroke!
img_9951.jpg

img_9952.jpg

View of the bow with the Lewmar 700 Pro-Fish Free-Fall windlass.
img_9954.jpg

Another view of the front showing the Mariner Enterprises 1/2 tower conversion, the Furuno radome on 10" seaview mast, Furnuno GPS, outriggers, and 14 rocket launcher rod holders along the back edge. The 8' Digital VHF antenna is up on a pad on the tower to give it as much height and unobstructed space as possible.
img_9956.jpg

It took a few tries to get it right, but the 10" radome mast worked out perfectly to give the radome a clean shot over the tower footrest bar and rocket launchers, but stay under obstruction from the bench seat. The first go was a 5" mast which put it directly in line with the footrest bar. Some starboard was used to build up a platform to raise the mast up about 3", but that just looked nasty. Finally, switching to the 10" mast, which was originally thought to be too tall, worked out perfectly.
img_9957.jpg

Back side of the tower showing the rod holders, antenna mount, and spreader lights.
The white running/anchor light was originally on a mast mounted on the roof. But, with the tower, bench seat, and rocket launchers filled with rods and reels -- there were just too many obstructions to be sure the light would always be in clear view. So, we moved it up on a pad on top of the tower to give it a good clear vantage point.
The spreader lights were originally mounted to tabs on the rocket launcher assembly. They too were moved up higher on the tower to give a better distribution of light.
img_9958.jpg

Here's inside the bilge, yeah: it's wet and dirty. That'll get addressed as soon as she's out of the slip and back on her trailer.
Left to right: The fuel water separator. I've seen some bare metal filter holder units get pretty nasty in short order. I don't have the stainless steel model, but this one has a kind of powder coating so hopefully it will hold up staying clean for a while.
Next, that rather massive transducer is the Airmar B164 1kW tilted element. She can just about meter a sanddab at the bottom of La Jolla canyon with that thing!
Next, the Rule bilge pump and float switch, the Rule 800gph bait tank pump, and finally, the Shurflo power blaster washdown pump for those times when you're knee deep in albacore blood after a triple hookup.
img_9962.jpg

Another nice feature added in the recent models around 2007 or so was the removable splashwell. It's a straight panel that just latches into place when you want a splashwell, and is easily removed when you don't. The minor downside is when it's installed, it blocks access to the bilge hatch, also, you have to be careful when raising the engine not to damage the engine cowling. With it removed, you have to remember not to hurt your bare feet or trip over the metal lugs mounted in the deck. Hasn't been a problem for me, I've been running with the splashwell off and just have to remember those metal bits are there.
img_9963.jpg

For the kind of gear we usually use on the west coast, those gunnel rod holders are pretty useless. A future project will be to switch those out for something I can use to stow my boathook, deck brush handle, and a couple of gaffs.
img_9964.jpg

...and one more shot:
img_9966.jpg

WOW!! Very cool 8) She looks really complete. I see a couple more items er.. projects that I want to get done during my winter layup to correct oversights of previous owners. I also like that monster 225 on the back of BarelyLegal. That has got to be a lot of fun when you use it :) Thanks for the pics. Your sharing helps all of us :)[/i]

Nice Battlewagon!!!

Anybody have any luck with using some kind of lining inside here to protect the inside hull from getting banged up by the anchor chain and to dampen the tooth jarring chain rattling when cutting through the chop?

Try Sea Dek.

Bryan A.":1s4tfh4y said:
Try Sea Dek.

Thanks Bryan, I just checked out their website and that stuff looks perfect for the job -- and a whole bunch of other uses!

Very nice boat.
I have the same boat up here in Santa Barbara.I took delivery of mine in April on my birthday.
Your going to love this little boat.I tell everone it's the biggest little 21'er out there.
The ONLY thing I dont like about the boat is that it doesn't have any fish boxes,but I took care of that problem w/a kill bag.
I already have 180 hours on mine ,and have had it out 8-10 swell,w/about 15 knts in a following sea loaded w/dive gear,and the bait tank full,and it handeled it perfectly,w/out pitching ,and yawing all over the place,Nothing tightens up your booty like looking out the window,and watching that wall of water over the pilothouse when your in the trough,but this little boat can hang.I've only operated in seas like that one time before coming back from Rosa in my old 24' Skipjack,and I can say that my little Parker blew it away.
I just bought my Furuno unit,it should be here by Wed. If there is any way you could post up a few more pics of that install that would ge awesome.
Nice little boat,your gonna dig it,betcha cait wait for the tuna to come back next year.I know I'm gonna take a crack at em next year for sure.
Good luck,and if your ever up this way give me a shout,and you can poach some of my Rockfishin spots,or some of my lobster holes.
MJ.

Very nice boat.
I have the same boat up here in Santa Barbara.I took delivery of mine in April on my birthday.
Your going to love this little boat.I tell everone it's the biggest little 21'er out there.
The ONLY thing I dont like about the boat is that it doesn't have any fish boxes,but I took care of that problem w/a kill bag.
I already have 180 hours on mine ,and have had it out 8-10 swell,w/about 15 knts in a following sea loaded w/dive gear,and the bait tank full,and it handeled it perfectly,w/out pitching ,and yawing all over the place,Nothing tightens up your booty like looking out the window,and watching that wall of water over the pilothouse when your in the trough,but this little boat can hang.I've only operated in seas like that one time before coming back from Rosa in my old 24' Skipjack,and I can say that my little Parker blew it away.
I just bought my Furuno unit,it should be here by Wed. If there is any way you could post up a few more pics of that install that would ge awesome.
Nice little boat,your gonna dig it,betcha cait wait for the tuna to come back next year.I know I'm gonna take a crack at em next year for sure.
Good luck,and if your ever up this way give me a shout,and you can poach some of my Rockfishin spots,or some of my lobster holes.
MJ.

Hi Mike,
Haven't been in that kind of weather with the boat (and can't say that I have any plans for it :shock: ) but I can believe it's a lot nicer in the Parker, even on the 21, than fighting the waves in a "tippy skippy". The skip's a great boat, the open is a great fishing boat and the FB models give a nice high vantage point for piloting and leave lots of room below for a full comfortable salon. Solidly built and safe, but just not a very comfortable boat in tough seas. Gotta love the Parker PH!

I'm ok doing without the built-in kill box. The transom boxes on the 23 are too small for a good size yellowtail or albacore and too wet for use as dry storage. Floor mounted boxes are sometimes hard to clean out and have hatches, drains, macerators, etc. to maintain. I like the boat staying simple and just adding a kill bag like you did. I plan to get a bag sometime next season, but for now have the big white cooler since it offers a padded place to sit and easier storage for food and stuff when I take cruises with my wife.

You're going to love the Furuno system. I got the 1724C which included the 18" 2.2kW radome which I think is a great size for the 21. Added the DFF1 sounder and Furnuno GPS. The display is super versatile and lets you split the screen vertically or horizontally into any combination you can imagine. Later, adding a 2nd navnet display will provide a redundant backup and the ability to put up whatever screens you want between the 2 displays. I really like the Garmin GPS plotters and maps though -- kind of tough to decide between adding a 2nd Furuno display, or adding a Garmin GPS.

Thanks for the invite up north for sharing lobster and rockfish spots -- I'll try to take you up on that someday! Same goes for here when you're next down south!

Here's some more pics, let me know what else you want to see regarding installation or whatever...

Here's the dash again with the wheel off and the display just installed
img_9855.jpg

Here's the radio being installed with the headliner cover and maplight removed showing the wiring to the windshield wiper and where wires will be run to the radio.
img_9856.jpg

Here's the corner behind the helm seat with the molding off to show the wiring run to the cabin roof. The wires are run through the roof into the tuna tower frame tubing.
img_9860.jpg

Here's the first attempt at the radome mount with the 5" Seaview mast. You can see it lines up perfectly with the tower footrest bar to make a nice horizontal obstruction.
img_9881.jpg

Here's the 2nd attempt to get the radome install dialed in: starboard blocks were added to raise the radome to about 7-8" and get it over the footrest. Effective, but kinda ghetto.
img_9890.jpg

Third time's a charm: all that was removed and the 10" mast was installed which got the radome up to a perfect height and gave a sleek, professional, finished look to the installation; which the same couldn't really be said for the starboard approach.
Here's another shot of the front after the 10" mast was installed.
img_9956-1.jpg

Another "before" shot taken after splashing the boat and taking her out fishing for the first time. All I could thinks was: the lines on her are looking so good except for that #$%@! starboard block under the radome mast! The 1/2 tower, outriggers and tower mounted VHF antenna really giver her a high end sportfisher look without looking like she's just being dressed up to look like something she's not. You know, like those guys that put Mercedes-Benz hood ornaments on their Honda, or Rolls-Royce grills on the front of their VW beetles.
img_9906.jpg

Excellent introductory post!
Welcome aboard, and thanks for the photo tour!

i absolutely LOVE that last picture!!! one of the most handsome boats ive seen. truly excellent :D

one question though, whats your spread like with those outriggers? they look like theyre going to have a pretty serious aft angle, which limits your spread width. the only reason i ask is i had riggers like that before i got my grand slams, and they were awful :( mine were in the gunnels though, on the tower they might work out better? jsut curious. but, simply beautiful overall.

You were right about just going w/the 10'' dome mount,and getting rid of that starboard for sure,looks much cleaner now.
I have a Garmin 545s combo GPS Sounder/FF.
Works great!Very simple to use,and I like that the maps are built right in w/out having to buy a chip for it.
The FF on it is OK,not as good as some ,but not as bad as others.I can still see an 8oz weight on it's way to the bottom,and it does read the bottom scruture well,and thats what I need anyway.
Thanks for the extra pics of the Radar setup,it's gonna come in handy when mine comes on Weds.
I do have to ask what may be a silly question.The cable from the dome looks huge!! how big of a hole am I going to have to core out for that monster!
Also,where the cable goes through the top how is it installed to make sure there isn't any water intrusion?
Thanks
MJ.

Hi Mike,
The 545s is a sweet machine, you're going to love it. If you add the map chip, the 3d charts on that thing are awesome.

The cable from the radome goes into the roof using a Blue Sea Cable Clam.
You can find them at Westmarine or any online boat supply retailer, they cost about 20bucks or so. They use a gland which lets you run the cable through without having to take the end connectors off, then forms a water-tight seal around the cable. The come in a few different sizes depending on the OD of your signal cable and should come with instructions for hole size and installation.

pelagic2530":2n3d0qch said:
i absolutely LOVE that last picture!!! one of the most handsome boats ive seen. truly excellent :D

one question though, whats your spread like with those outriggers? they look like theyre going to have a pretty serious aft angle, which limits your spread width. the only reason i ask is i had riggers like that before i got my grand slams, and they were awful :( mine were in the gunnels though, on the tower they might work out better? jsut curious. but, simply beautiful overall.

Wow! Quite a complement! Thanks!!!!

The outriggers rotate out and lock in place at a couple of positions: one still slightly swept back and up, and another with them pretty much 90 degrees - perpendicular to the boat and horizontal-parallel to the water. They do flex a bit, but in this position I can get pretty close to 8-10' off to the side of the boat and because they're mounted up on the tower, I'm still high enough that it should keep the outrigger pole tips out of the water while going throug 2-3' or maybe even 2-4' rollers.

Haven't tried seriously fishing with them yet, but I'll let you know how they work out next time the albacore are coming through!

pelagic2530":2bo7m78x said:
This is a good time to also say thanks to everybody at the Parker dealership in San Diego "Sundance Marine" which was purchased by Crows Nest Yachts in 2007 and is now managed by the same guys who own "Team Bad Company". I want to say thanks to the new crew there for all their help making this deal come together for me and all their extra effort and attention to detail in getting this "baddest little 2120 sportfisher" rigged to the nines.
Thanks a million guys!!!

After working outside in the 27 degree weather today, the last picture makes me want to book a flight on Southwest to SD, and see if I could hitch a ride in a much warmer climate on that sweet looking beauty :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Back