2020 1801 Bilge Location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunachaser93

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone relocated their bilge pump or added an additional one? I have noticed on my 2020 1801, that the bilge sits a bit high leaving some water at the bottom. My OCD is looking for a way to keep it as dry as possible. Below is a photo I took showing the amount of water I generally have.

View attachment 1.jpg

Funny you should ask.
I too hate that small amount that the pump cant remove and the additional water that comes back from the line when the pump turns off.
A few weeks ago I added an inline check valve at the pump which helps a lot.
I also researched the dry bilge systems and made one which will remove even more. I'm still fiddling around with the timer to optimize the water removal.

Last edited:
Funny you should ask.
I too hate that small amount that the pump cant remove and the additional water that comes back from the line when the pump turns off.
A few weeks ago I added an inline check valve at the pump which helps a lot.
I also researched the dry bilge systems and made one which will remove even more. I'm still fiddling around with the timer to optimize the water removal.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any info on the valve you added and how I would install that? Any photos?
Appreciate it!

This is the one I installed. It uses a flap inside like a scupper. Installed as close to the pump as I could. I made sure the hinged part of the flap was at the top. I have enough slack in the bilge hose so if I needed to remove the valve i will have enough hose left.
The volume of the 1"x40" hose contains about 17oz.
Not a lot but it helps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QHCQJ5M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Attachments

• check valve 1.jpg
    check valve 1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is the one I installed. It uses a flap inside like a scupper. Installed as close to the pump as I could. I made sure the hinged part of the flap was at the top.
oh gotcha. So that stops water from coming back out from the bilge.

My bigger concern is how much water needs to be in the bilge area before it even starts pumping out. It seems like the entire bottom needs to be filled an inch or two before anything can be removed.

Hi All,

Has anyone relocated their bilge pump or added an additional one? I have noticed on my 2020 1801, that the bilge sits a bit high leaving some water at the bottom. My OCD is looking for a way to keep it as dry as possible. Below is a photo I took showing the amount of water I generally have.

View attachment 40179
Do you trailer your boat? I use about 5 feet of cotton wick material, laid in the lowest spot of the bilge, and hang it out the garboard drain about a foot. The air blowing over it combined with the wicking action will dry the bilge in a day, and keep it dry. I wrapped it around a little stainless bracket so it stays in place. I leave a carbon arrow shaft so I can poke it through from the inside. Engine bracket helps obviously, since it keeps rain off it. Bit of a pia, but basically free.
My big hatch always leaks, then the string dries it back out.

So good news. We had a good amount of rain last night. I haven't been down to the boat since Saturday but when I checked today the bilge is the driest it's ever been with the "DIY Dry Bilge Build" I linked in post #6.
I deviated from the original sponge setup in the DIY because I didn't want to make it permanent until I knew it would work. I safety wired (stainless) the oversized sponge to an old shower drain that I had bent to sit flush to the hull and used a dab of boat life to hold it in place. I poked a slit 3/4 of the way into the sponge with an exacto knife close to the bottom to insert the tubing. The sponge (1/2 of a car wash sponge) collects and holds the water and also acts as a filter to save the pump. The timer is set for 1 min once a day. I'll increase the daily cycle(s) if needed. Hope this help cut down on the mold
Less than $50 for the whole setup.
1717116543020.jpeg

So good news. We had a good amount of rain last night. I haven't been down to the boat since Saturday but when I checked today the bilge is the driest it's ever been with the "DIY Dry Bilge Build" I linked in post #6.
I deviated from the original sponge setup in the DIY because I didn't want to make it permanent until I knew it would work. I safety wired (stainless) the oversized sponge to an old shower drain that I had bent to sit flush to the hull and used a dab of boat life to hold it in place. I poked a slit 3/4 of the way into the sponge with an exacto knife close to the bottom to insert the tubing. The sponge (1/2 of a car wash sponge) collects and holds the water and also acts as a filter to save the pump. The timer is set for 1 min once a day. I'll increase the daily cycle(s) if needed. Hope this help cut down on the mold
Less than $50 for the whole setup.
View attachment 40206
That awesome that it worked out! Where did you hide the discharge hose? Do you have a photo of that?

This is the one I installed. It uses a flap inside like a scupper. Installed as close to the pump as I could. I made sure the hinged part of the flap was at the top. I have enough slack in the bilge hose so if I needed to remove the valve i will have enough hose left.
The volume of the 1"x40" hose contains about 17oz.
Not a lot but it helps.
I'm a marine surveyor. Be aware that if you install a check valve in the discharge you are adding a flow restriction which reduces the pump's output. Also if it gets stuck in the shut position (and they do) then your pump output goes to zero!

Thanks for the heads up on a valid point. It's rare I don't check below at least twice a day when running and any time it rains. With the success of the other bilge system I have I really won't need the check valve anymore so it will most likely be coming out.

Latest posts

Back